Anterless permit numbers adjusted?

Author
henhouse
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 155
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/18 22:04:15 (permalink)

Anterless permit numbers adjusted?

Don't really know what the entire state snow situation would be, but here in Somerset County the deer numbers are going to take a serious hit. Have been out for the last 3 weeks looking and feeding, and have already seen dead deer in some places. My brother does the official rain and snow numbers for the National Weather service in our area. Snow depth is now 92 plus inches for this winter and we have had 60 of it since the first of February. My question to the members and the PGC would be if any adjustment would be made to the allocation numbers because of deer loses in certain areas? If the PGC is so good at estimating the number of deer taken every year, then please give an estimation of winter kills and readjust (lower) the allocation in the effected areas. Any thoughts on this?

21 Replies Related Threads

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/18 22:14:07 (permalink)
    I doubt any adjustment will be made. With or without the snow.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/18 22:50:08 (permalink)
    PGC says coyotes dont kill deer, neither does snow.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/18 23:08:20 (permalink)
    Will be interesting to see.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/20 11:41:57 (permalink)
    There will not be any adjustment. They feel that the kill will be lowered by shortening the season. Or, at least that's what they want you to think.
    post edited by DanesDad - 2010/02/20 11:42:21
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/20 17:03:11 (permalink)
    Actually thats not the reason it was done. It was stated by commissioners that it would simply allow some hunter to see does walking around during the week of buck rifle season before they get shot the following week. The theory is, everyone will be happy they got to see a few more deer for that week. They also said that if the kill drops due to shortened length, they WILL adjust the allocations accordingly.

Child psychology gentlemen. Nothing more.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/21 14:18:14 (permalink)
    Well, they may increase the number of tags, but they wont lower them.
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/22 21:38:48 (permalink)
    Don't know what parts of the state have been snowed on the most; but in our part of Southern Somerset we gotten just over 60 inches since February 1 st. Plus the fact that there was snow already on the ground with a hard crust over it before the first big storm. I know different people have various opinions of feeding deer; but we will continue to feed corn and alfalfa as long as it takes. But the fact remains that deer will be lost in some areas and by not lowering the tag numbers it will have a negative effect in deer numbers in the future. We have a fair amount of deer on our property and we want to keep it at those numbers and some. Plus our forest floor is loaded with little oak trees. I don't believe the stuff about regeneration being harmed by deer. How about acid rain? The foresters can't stop it so to appease some folks the deer get all the blame.
    jkrunningdeer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 08:51:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: henhouse

Don't really know what the entire state snow situation would be, but here in Somerset County the deer numbers are going to take a serious hit. Have been out for the last 3 weeks looking and feeding, and have already seen dead deer in some places. My brother does the official rain and snow numbers for the National Weather service in our area. Snow depth is now 92 plus inches for this winter and we have had 60 of it since the first of February. My question to the members and the PGC would be if any adjustment would be made to the allocation numbers because of deer loses in certain areas? If the PGC is so good at estimating the number of deer taken every year, then please give an estimation of winter kills and readjust (lower) the allocation in the effected areas. Any thoughts on this?

hahahaha dream on. you're mistake is that you are thinking LOGICALLY.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 11:46:00 (permalink)
    Just think what the winter kill would be, and the overbrowsing damage done to young trees, if the deer populations were as large as they were in the late 90's/early 00's?  Herd reduction is a good thing; especially for winters just like this one in southern PA.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 12:03:45 (permalink)
    Eyes, we had more snow in 1993 than now. Also in 1978, had large deer poulations then and somehow the herd survived. I dn't know what the harvest figures were in the following year. Anybody have them??? .....WF
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 18:05:27 (permalink)
    Herd reduction is a good thing; especially for winters just like this one in southern PA.

No it isnt. We didnt have problems previously. On the other hand, states like maine, even with their rock bottom deer densities loses a significant portion of the herd during winter fairly regularly.

I will agree SOME areas needed SOME reduction. But many areas not needing it got it anyway, and other areas that needed SOME got a ton.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 18:10:05 (permalink)
    "Eyes, we had more snow in 1993 than now. Also in 1978, had large deer poulations then and somehow the herd survived. I dn't know what the harvest figures were in the following year. Anybody have them??? .....WF "

The total harvest for the year following 1993 was 395,081.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 18:32:35 (permalink)
    Wayne, I have no figures for either year I mentioned, I thought someone could show both years for both winters to see if I am barking up the wrong tree as to the herds ability to make it through the bad winters. Harvest numbers, if availible, should show the difference as the winters were both before HR/AR.1993 winter was also during very high deer densities. The forest was already "barren" of browse at that time.Was there I hugh drop in harvest the following years or not?? Wondering!...WF
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 19:13:38 (permalink)
    You have to remember that back in the 70' they only counted actual harvest cards turned in. Also as one who hunted then as I recall we did it in 2' of snow which hurt the deer kill. Anyhow here is the actual buck kill.

1977--74,879
    1978--61,698
    1979--58,864
    1980--73,196

1992--163,159
    1993--165,214
    1994--157,030
    1995--182,235
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/23 20:31:27 (permalink)
    Thanks, it seems about 5% decrease but rebounded nicely to an increase 2 years later. It probably wouldn't take long for the herd in present numbers to increase to respectful levels if managed better. Kind of shoots the forest depletion of food up the butt if one would use these numbers. Lets see how the proponents of HR can spin this one.....WF
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/24 09:07:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eyesandgillz

Just think what the winter kill would be, and the overbrowsing damage done to young trees, if the deer populations were as large as they were in the late 90's/early 00's?  Herd reduction is a good thing; especially for winters just like this one in southern PA.

I grew up in Cambria County and hunted deer (still do) in Clearfield County and until the last 10 years or so it was the norm for there to be at least some form of snow on the ground from around Thanksgiving until around Easter.  While getting 2 feet or more at a time like we recently did was unusual except for some of the years other posters have mentioned, the accumulation of 4” here, 8” there, etc. often lead to a snow base that was equal to or greater than what is on the ground now.  And it started earlier and lasted longer.

Did it kill deer?  Probably.  How many?  That is debatable, at least in the areas I hunt.  We typically fished the small mountain streams in that area for wild brook trout each spring.  These 3-5 mile hikes did, at times, turn up dead creek bottom deer.  But even during the worst of winters and there was a year that there was thick ice on top of the snow for over a month, we never found more than a handful.

Did they starve?  Maybe.  Did they fall and split their pelvis?  Maybe.  Did they die from wounds from one of the hunting seasons?  Maybe.  Did they die of disease?  Maybe.  Did they die of old age?  Maybe.

The point is that without a definite cause of death, no one knows if it was winter kill (starvation) or not.

But, just to go to the extreme example, let’s say that all of the dead deer that we found starved.  And let’s say that the worst year was the norm (there were many years that we didn’t find any). Use a 5 mile hike as the base and 5 dead deer as the find.  I know, we were only along the creek and not covering a square mile, but since a good portion of dying deer try to make it to the creek bottom, let’s presume that what was there was the kill. 

To use PGC methodology of guesstimating like they do with report cards, let’s presume that we didn’t find them all and that some didn’t make it to the creek bottom (this is the fudge factor to kind of convert stream miles to square miles).  So let’s take the 5 dead deer and triple that to be 15 dead deer in 5 miles or 3 per mile.

Now, let’s go with the extreme estimate of 35 deer per square mile (1.6 M PGC population estimate divided by 46K sq. miles in PA) since the questions was about what if we had this weather back in the “good old days” when populations were high before HR.  Even if the PGC population figure is inflated, there also aren’t 46K sq. miles of huntable ground in PA either (most parking lots in Philly don’t have any deer), so the overestimate in population is a wash with ground that has deer v. ground that has no deer.

So, if there are 3 dead deer per sq. mile out of a winter (not before hunting season) population of 35 dpsm, that would be a winter kill (since we using the worse case number and are presuming 100% of them starved) that would be a population loss of 8.5%.  And that is worse case in an area that has real winter.

To take it to even a further extreme, let’s take that percentage to 10% (realistically since not every year had the worst weather and not every deer starved, the actual percentage would not be 10% or even the 8.5%, but something less, probably a lot less).  This begs the simple question – SO WHAT?

Mother Nature is very cruel.  A great percentage of her creatures die every winter.  Most of her creatures die untimely, slow, or violent deaths.  Not only do most get eaten, but most get eaten alive.  For those that aren’t eaten alive or aren’t completely eaten, the mice, and possums, and skunks, and crows have to eat too.

Do we care that when this snow melts that it will drown a certain percentage of hibernating groundhogs and their broods?  Nope. 

Do we care that because of the great visibility afforded by this snow cover that hawks will kill an unusually high number of birds?  Probably not. 

Do we care that rabbits will have a tough time getting away from foxes in this snow?  Not unless you are beagle guy. 

Do we care that this may cause a very wet spring and could decrease grouse and turkey populations because of poult deaths?  Maybe, but we will just shrug our shoulders and say it was a down year because of the weather and go hunting them anyway.

So why do we give this romantic notion of winter death to deer that is not afforded to other critters?

Please do not use the “quick death by a bullet or arrow beats a slow death by starvation” argument because if that held water there would be a Dr. Kevorkian clinic in every strip mall in America in order to save ourselves from the slow agonizing death from cancer or Alzheimer’s or whatever disease that will end each of our stories.  Everything wants to live.  Everything wants a chance at survival.  If deer live to be 4 years old in the wild, surviving from November to March is 8% of their life.  How many people would take an 8% cut in life expectancy, especially if death (in the case of the deer, death by starvation) isn’t certain?  Not many I would bet.

But back to the numbers and the argument that HR is a good thing.  Using our model, on the extreme end, 10% was lost to winter kill starvation.  Let’s get even more extreme and say that number is too low and double it to 20%.  Now, let’s say that number is still too low and double it to 40%.

An estimate of HR from the boom population to the current population is a 50% reduction.  Using our extreme estimate of 8.5%; increasing that to 10%; doubling that to 20%; and then further doubling that again to 40%, still leaves more deer that HR did.  And this is just for one year, not the sustained population drop that HR has wrought.

So even if we give the romantic Bambi syndrome to deer that is not afforded to other critters, how is HR better?

Now go to the other extreme.  Let’s presume that all of the deer deaths were the result of something other than winter starvation, so 0% of the population was killed.  Did they over browse and kill all the trees?  Obviously not.  The population sustained itself on what food sources were available.  Trees still grew. Regeneration happened to the extent that all the other contributing factors would let it happen.  The landowners run a small saw mill and makes hardwood furniture and cabinets and they were not at all concerned about the number of deer (either way), so the economic impact on them was negligible.

So if there was no effect to the landowner stakeholder (non-funded because they didn’t hunt) who had a vested economic interest by having zero deer die over the winter, how is HR better?

In the end, going to either extreme, 40% winter kill or 0% winter kill, leaves more deer for hunters than HR did and has no measurable adverse effect on the landowner who directly has an economic interest in trees and regeneration.

How is HR better?
    post edited by DarDys - 2010/02/24 09:18:06

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    heyiknowyou
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1279
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/24 09:38:24 (permalink)
    didnt somerset see a big drop in population the year of the large ice storm? we quit hunting up there after the big ice storm that hit during muzzeloader season about 10 years ago. it was a tough year with 6 inches of snow, then an inch of ice then another foot or so of snow and more ice on top of it. we went from seeing +50 deer in a field while spotting to seeing maybe 20... it was disheartening.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/24 12:32:02 (permalink)
    I saw some young deer in places where they shouldn't have been at 4:15 pm yesterday. Just a little snowless spot, there they were munching away. Much of the snow we had is gone in state college. I was a little south yesterday too, and there is still over a foot.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    henhouse
    Avid Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/24 12:41:08 (permalink)
    When the subject of deer numbers is mentioned and winters toll on the deer, I must remind people that are not familiar with Somerset County that we have the worst weather in the state. That is my opinion, but if elevation is the reason, then the fact that the highest mountains in the state are in this county. Bad winter snow storms and ice have been a factor on the deer numbers for many years. But add in the large increase of predators. Have hunted in this area for over fifty years and can't ever remember anyone seeing a coyote until a few years ago. Now the sightings are very common and the fact we have more bears than we ever did. The PGC was suprised that the number of fawns taken by bears was so high. Add it all together, plus the hill-billy factor, then it seems like we are lucky to have what we do. In case you never heard of the hill-billy factor, I'll explain. When the state issues anterless permits to a H-B, then they treat it as an order to kill that many deer. The same holds true with fishing for trout. If the limit is 5; then a real H-B will not stop fishing until he or she has killed 5 trout. In their mind the state has ordered them to do so. So, if the state has given me 2 doe tags, I "must" kill 2 does. If you think I'm joking, then you have never been around a "real H-B".
    TheBIGTrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/24 13:45:30 (permalink)
    rollcaster,
    Coyotes kill deer and so does winter.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    RE: Anterless permit numbers adjusted? 2010/02/24 14:44:08 (permalink)
    Hen, I live in sw cambria co. and work outside all winter. Some winters are very mean{the ice storm you mentioned a few years back]. My point was that nature does go on whether we like it or not. As DD posted, winter kill could be many factors,even just old age. The point that in years of high deer density, they still came back in short order. The population in our area is low and could stand a moritorium on does for even a year.They found food in bad winters when densities were high,they can find enough at present levels that this area could undoubtably support more deer. But will they adjust the permits, I doubt it, that would mean someone in control was wrong......WF
    Jump to: