Vac food storage

Author
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/16 13:15:42 (permalink)

Vac food storage

I've been looking at the different systems out on the market for a wile now.
 What kind a system works the best?
Looking for some feed back.
Thanks...

20 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/16 13:25:19 (permalink)
    I have a Food Saver. It works very well at doing what it's supposed to. I still prefer to do my fish in zip-lock bags filled with water. I think the whole vaccuum pak thing is overrated. The bag rolls are expensive and my experience is that stuff still freezer burns in them. They don't stack well in the freezer either. Don't mean to be this negative, but they aren't cheap and I rarely use mine anymore. On the plus side, it's pretty cool to put marshmallows in the container and vaccuum them.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/16 14:25:08 (permalink)
    Black and Decker makes one that is cheap and that is what you get. They don't last long. Stay with the Food Saver.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9690
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/16 14:40:12 (permalink)
    I somehow broke two Foodsavers.  Neither really worked for a long time.  Maybe 2 years each, but were only used 20 or so times.  I can't say that I'd reccomend.  Although, unless you want to go commercial, from what I have read, they're the best of the cheaper ones.

Ziplock has a battery operated and a hand pump that you use on their special bags.  The bags are pretty pricey, but so are the Foodsaver ones.  I saw the Linder boys using them on their show and weren't even a sponsor, so must actually work.  Those guys can catch fish with anything, and are sure to repeat the product name 20 times.  Them not plugging the heck out of the product, but still using seems like a positive sign to me...  $4 for the and pump and $10 for the battery one (I think discontinued), both come with some bags.  Priced cheap enough to at least give a shot.

If you are one of the Erie walleye farmers (I insult because I am jellous), then I'm sure the Ziplock ones might be a bit of a pain for a ton of fish.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/16 15:04:09 (permalink)
    "Erie walleye farmers"

I like that!  While I do put a fair amount of 'eyes in the freezer I wrap more packages of perch...... mmmmmm, perch
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/18 09:10:42 (permalink)
    I have the food saver & it did go bad so I called them & they refurbished it for 50 dollars & they told me that you can not suck moisture into the vacum sealer. then I found out put a paper towel above meat or fish when sealing & problem solved you just have to remember that paper towel is inthere & not throw it frozen in the slow cooker. I also had the small battery 10$ one & I liked it but they quite making them. but I have had no problem with freezer burn with them.
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/19 07:54:56 (permalink)
    I have a FoodSaver GameSaver, DeluxePlus. I have used it for 2 years and have had no problems. As stated in the directions, I have it on my counter and not put away. This way I make use of it often. We buy all ground meat, chicken breast, etc in bulk and separate into the portions we want when we get home. I use it to reseal different packages that we are not going to use again for some time.

I do recommend the bags that come with them and not to buy Kenmore brand. My only complaint is the amount of bag you loose when you cut open the sealed part. Realize everytime you seal the bag you will lose approximately 1 1/2 inches of the bag. Plan accordingly and the bags may be reused.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/19 09:29:57 (permalink)
    I have gone through a foodsaver each season as I do 5 or 6 deer a year, plus fish, plus veggies. I will be spending the $400 for a commercial unit this summer. Food savers will crap out quickly.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/22 15:34:36 (permalink)
    great thread/info guys... I have been checking on better ways to save the fish. Bulldog, when you freeze with water in the bag can you elaborate some for me? Do you add salt or anything else in the water? Are there different methods better for the different fish meat types (such as walleye white vs the darker meat of steelhead?) Thanks in advance. Karen
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/22 15:51:43 (permalink)
    I have a foodsaver and love it, walleye tastes fresh after 2 years in the freezer(if it ever makes it that long!).

The bags are pricey, so what i do is make the bag a couple inches longer than I need, then when i cut them open, I wash them out, dry them, and reuse them and it works great.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/22 15:52:17 (permalink)
    Karen, I usually try to separate the fillets into meal sized packages, place them into zip-lock bags and fill the bag completely with water. If you place the bags in square containers till they're frozen they stack real well in the freezer. I do have spring water, so chlorine is not an issue. I don't add any salt either. For your walleyes, make sure you "zipper" out the lateral line on all of your fillets that will eliminate the fishy taste on even the larger eyes.

Welcome to the boards!
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/22 16:43:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Bulldog. We do zipper the walleye and cut out any darker lateral line meat, I also skin them unless I intend to put them on the grill. I like the idea of freezing in a square container for stacking... I can use that idea for other stuff I freeze also. I am also lucky enough to not have to deal with any chlorine or treatment in my water. I know the campground we stay at near Erie is chlorinated though, so will have to remember to pack along some fresh water. Thanks for the tips!
    Deernazi37
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/22 19:47:43 (permalink)
    wrap your fish or meat in saran wrap then it wontdraw the liquid in and you can wash the bags an reuse them i have a food saver it works great
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/22 19:55:34 (permalink)
    thanks!
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/22 20:14:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Karen, I usually try to separate the fillets into meal sized packages, place them into zip-lock bags and fill the bag completely with water. If you place the bags in square containers till they're frozen they stack real well in the freezer. I do have spring water, so chlorine is not an issue. I don't add any salt either. For your walleyes, make sure you "zipper" out the lateral line on all of your fillets that will eliminate the fishy taste on even the larger eyes.

Welcome to the boards!

That's the way to go. I've had fish buried in the freezer for years frozen in water/zips and the fish was fine. Food saver wrapped lasts longer than just plastic wrap but it does get burned. There's air in all the tiny grooves in the bag. Commercial vacuum sealers use "flat plastic", no grooves, so it will last longer.

BTW: I've frozen deer in water/zips and it will last a long time also. Well over 18months...

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/23 07:48:29 (permalink)
    There is no "best" only one that works! I've burnt up both Foodsaver and Black & Decker, usually get good reults with either, but have had failures with both! Pre-packing in water is a good idea, and I sometimes double wrap in plastic, freeze and then seal. I've had good luck vacuum sealing and freezing peppers & beans without blanching them first!
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/23 18:18:02 (permalink)
    New foodsaver not sure on model but use it alot. Water in ziplocs works well but I prefer the foodsaver as I have one 12 cubic foot freezer of eyes and another for perch saimens etc. Us "walleye farmers" need to keep the crops fresh. The foodsaver enables me to not have to dry the feesh out as long before frying, just me as I like instant gratification. 
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/24 16:53:28 (permalink)
    Just had perch from last June that w-w vac,ed for me and tasted like fresh.
    I,m going to invest in one for sure. yum!

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/24 18:43:50 (permalink)
    thanks for all the suggestions/ recommendations... I look forward to using some of the info this coming fishing season , I would like to be a farmer for at least a little while!
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9690
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/25 08:46:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

I have one 12 cubic foot freezer of eyes and another for perch saimens etc.

Guru = Kingnuke???
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Vac food storage 2010/02/25 15:38:01 (permalink)
    In my dreams... 
    Jump to: