Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake

Author
Electricman56
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/30 17:24:14 (permalink)

Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake

Been waitng for the ice to come back, just drove by Antietem Lake, saw one guy out fishing just above the ****!  Couldn't believe the ice would be ready so soon after the 60 degree weather and rain but there he was!  Had a couple of kids with him ice skating too.  Water is still open where the creek comes in but I could see the path he took onto the ice just across from the parking lot and it looked good obviously, he made it out there.  I stopped and asked him hom much ice there was and he said 6"!

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing

9 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/01/31 13:55:13 (permalink)
    I've been sick since thursday night.......been on the couch or in the bed the last few days........woke up today and finally felt better.......thought about heading to Antietam.......but I think I will stay home and shake whatever bug decided to take residence in my body.......

Usually, if you come on at Mothers Tree you should be OK......there are coves on both sides with feeder streams entering each cove.....certainly a no-no with first ice.......

Antietam Road usually has access early.......but everyone needs to remember that there is usually moving water near the spillways.........Antietam Rd. gives access to immediate deeper water-so you really wouldn't want to go through the ice there.......or anywhere for that matter........pretty much fishing in a bowl

Everyone needs to be smart.........remember, there is no such animal as SAFE ICE

www.2bonthewater.com
    Electricman56
    New Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/01/31 15:46:01 (permalink)
    Enlighten me... where is "Mothers Tree"?

Electricman56
    New Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/01/31 17:27:35 (permalink)
    I stoped by Antietem around 5 PM, lots of fisherman out on the ice, not much action but I was only there for 15 mins.  Drove by it many times but this was the first time I actually got out and on the ice.  I found where Mother's tree is, nice memorial to all of those who brought us into this world so we could fish! Definitely the best place to get on the ice.  I see what Vinny is talking about where the feeder creeks come... still open water in those areas.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/02/02 19:45:52 (permalink)
    Hey Vinny,here I am in Ohio,lots of ice but not condusive to Steely fishing....so close yet so far.....get well!
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/02/03 19:15:39 (permalink)
    Hey Pafisher---

Feeling better !!!!   Just received an email from a fellow fishcop.....he was up in Pulaski.........said he did pretty good......sent a few pics.......guessing it was from a couple of weeks ago.......

Frozen creeks and steelhead...........for shame !!!!

Actually looking forward to this colder weather and doing some ice fishing..........just seems either the ice melts or my entire clan is sick........darn Pre-K !!!!!

Keeping fingers crossed on the guiding thing.........darn insurance is so expensive for something that might not see a profit...........we'll see how it goes........

Hope your family is doing well.........have a safe trip home

maybe we can set a day up for the Little Lehigh........

Vinny

www.2bonthewater.com
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/02/04 00:25:23 (permalink)
    Vinny,I'm here for the week and doing chores for the daughter,painting,fixing doors,electrical stuff and she's looking for more work for me LOL.
    Have my equipment with me but everything is froze solid in Erie,Thought I might give the Rocky in Ohio a try Fri but now they're forecasting snow,don't feel like driving in it.
    The LL sounds good,I'll give you a yell on that,I know where we can get lots of action there.

Jack
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/02/04 20:01:33 (permalink)
    sounds like a plan !!!!

www.2bonthewater.com
    bigesox11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/02/16 22:59:45 (permalink)
    Where is Antietam Lake and what species are in it?  Thanks.
    Electricman56
    New Angler
    RE: Ice Fishing - Antietem Lake 2010/02/17 06:48:20 (permalink)
    Antietam Lake is in Berks County, just North of Mt Penn & just East of Reading, boardered by Antietam Rd & Angora Rd.  I haven't fished it much by have caught Bluegill, yellow perch, crapie and Bass in it, it is stocked with trout several times a year.

http://www.berkscountyweb.com/Antietam_Lake.htm

Jump to: