fast action rods

Author
rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
  • Reward points: 0
2010/01/23 09:00:24 (permalink)

fast action rods

just sitting here thinking, and i was wondering why almost all spinning rods these days, with the exclusion of noodle and ultra lights, are fast action?  i believe all my med. and ml are.  i watched four fishing shows this morning and from the looks of it, all the rods they were using were fast.  i guess i just miss the old glass rods and those moderate action rods. 

10 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/23 12:01:37 (permalink)
    I'd imagine that at the root of it all, its the same reason that most of the modern fly rods are getting faster and faster: money. It's easy marketing. Sure, there are applications where a good fast rod is the right tool for the task, but it seems lately, the amount of fast rods being produced is disproportionate to what is actually needed.

That said, I love my extra-fast St. Croix for drop-shotting to LM.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/23 12:04:26 (permalink)
    mark, are you talking about those mojo rods?  i was in****s sporting goods about two months ago and took one off the rack to look at.  i bent it as i have done thousands of rods in my lifetime.  this one snapped.  i told the employee working there that my wife did it and that she ran out of the store .  interesting concept.  light rod.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/23 13:28:06 (permalink)
    Should have blamed your sister-in-law. From the pics you've posted of her, they'd have given you a free rod for getting her out of there. ;)

But yeah, was talking about the mojo. The balance leaves a little to be desired, but the action and length of their drop shot rod (IIRC, somewhere's around 6'-6" or 7', X-Fast), is great for the way I fish (not just drop shot). When I go out bassin' with my buddy in his canoe, I take 2 rods, my baitcaster set up to throw crankbaits, and that rod, for soft plastics.
    sudsy1000
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/29 11:54:36 (permalink)
    I like slower rods.  That's why I'm getting a new fiberglass crankbait rod made.  The graphite ones are just to fast and beat your arms up when throwing big crankbaits all day.

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/29 14:36:20 (permalink)
    I personally am a huge fan of fast rods.
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/29 15:31:00 (permalink)
    I refuse to use a slow spinning rod for bass fishing, I have tried before and they simply dont have the backbone to pull a weighted plastic thru and around cover, let alone setting the hook thru all that grass.  They may have their place in fly rods?

I snag steelhead on the reg.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/29 15:52:58 (permalink)
    depends on personal preference, some guys like em, some don't.  
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/29 17:17:10 (permalink)
    Ithink it must be phases that fishermen go through.  I have a couple of old bamboo rods, from around the 1900's that are so slow that if you put the weight of the line thru them they bend.  But they will drop a dry fly or a nymph without rippling the water.  Then about the 20's the rods started to get "faster" and stiffer till I get up to a tournament model made for casting competitions and it's as stiff as a 2x4 but it will throw a 4wt line a mile.  Then after WWII it seems that everyone wanted a softer glass rod, then gradually they got stiffer and faster.  Same thing happened with graphite.  Now we have very fast action rods. And I'm not very fond of them.  It's almost like we are sacrificing style and technique for distance and speed.  It seems TO ME that it is a lot easier to load a fast action rod and to cast long distances with one but TO ME  some of the feel and a lot of the accuracy disappears.  Just my 2 cents.    Go Fish!  <-))}}}><

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/30 10:11:07 (permalink)
    I'm on the same train as dietz. I mostly fish for bass and 90% of the time it's around some form of cover, weeds, docks, wood, bushes, etc.. A slower action rod just does not have the ability to get the fish up or out of the cover. There is also the issue of having eoungh power to bury the heavy wire hooks also associated with most of the bass techniques.

I do use a slower action rod with treble hooked baits such as cranks, jerkbaits, topwaters. Most of the time those style baits are fished in open water situations and fish often hook themselves when eating the bait. The softer action helps keep them from throwing the bait on jumps, the rod absorbs the energy/shock. The key though is to have VERY sharp hooks when fishing that way.

Good topic!
    Stcroixsteelie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: fast action rods 2010/01/30 10:22:04 (permalink)
    A lot of it is personal preference but I love the fast or even extra fast actions on my spinning rods for most applications.  You can still get the rod with a light enough power to cushion 4 or 6lb test and still have a fast tip.  It's a tremendous help with getting a quick good hook set, ripping you bait through some grass, or the first few seconds you set the hook on a fish in a lay down tree or rock pile it helps pull it away from that cover a few feet where if the rod is slower it can get around a tree limb or under a rock before you can pull him out.
    Jump to: