Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/24 07:26:38 (permalink)

Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok

This suit was filed by a group of hunters against the makers of Scent Lok and also named Cabelas, Gander Mountain etc.... as defendants.  Claims the hunting public was deliberately misled as to the effectiveness of this product.

Interesting.  Makes me think of a post by Silverkype awhile back.

Here is a link.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articles/index.cfm?id=50899§ion=news

22 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/24 15:18:14 (permalink)
    Found some superb buck sign the other week.  Problem is, the wind is always blowing down over and that's where the deer come from--always.  I told dad we should just go buy some scent crock and forget the wind, just hunt.  He cracked up and §hit his pants right under the tree he had picked out.  Scent crock not only empties wallets but a§§e§ too I guess.

I guess I don't see much coming out of this case.  I'd hope to see extensive science, testing done by new neutral parties.  Just come in, stick to the facts and show the proof.  Perhaps have these product owners change their marketing techniques a bit.  Maybe if ALS and others would have promoted these products as just helping scent control and not completely eliminating it, this never would have happened.  I'd guess they'll lose customers just because of this case and I hope they do.  Can't fool a whitetails nose boys and these companies are misleading consumers and have been for years. It's impossible to stop every odor seeping from your body and that's assuming this is some miracle product, which it is not.  I've shot a lot of deer downwind.  I recall a doe from a few years back that was at 20 yards, the string on my stabilizer was blowing right at her.  That day, I got overheated to the point where I got sick and curled up ready to puke.  I certainly stunk like a pig.  The wind was conistent but blowing over top of her.  The wind (I'm not refering to thermals here), just drifts up in whirls sometimes.  Take a smoke bomb up a tree in the yard and watch the smoke rise.  Keep in mind when talking wind drift versus treestand height that the difference between 10 feet and 17 is great, while the difference between 17 and 25 is very minimal. 

A quick search on bowsite brought up some opinions of these products:

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/regional/thread.cfm?threadid=127537&MESSAGES=55&state=PA

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/26 16:16:23 (permalink)
    Will be interesting to see the results, im not sold eaither way.

I do own...

Dream Season Boots - Which have a very small leg cuff of scent lok, which even if it didnt have it, they are the most comfortable boots I have worn in my lifetime.

I also own a carbon activated sack, i bought this to keep my clothes in to and from the house so I dont need to carry the big plastic bins.

which both need "reactivated" friday night.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/09/26 16:17:21
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/26 21:52:17 (permalink)
    I "reactivate" my hunting clothes (none are scentlock or anything like that) by hanging them outside the night before I hunt.  I have the same chance of beating a whiteteils nose as a whitetail has of balancing my checkbook.  And, since I dont buy scentlock clothes, I DO have a balance!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/27 17:03:38 (permalink)
    Jon,
    Did your dad act like this when he pooped his pants?

http://www.derrickcomedy.com/2007/08/21/jerry/

lol
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/27 23:24:20 (permalink)
    The only reason why the chain stores are defending it is because they rack in so much money over it by people who think the propaganda is true, even though its not, the stores could care less if it works or not, as long as their makin money off of it, their gonna sell it, and if some1 or some people get in the way like here, their gonna fight it.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/28 10:15:59 (permalink)
    Dan--

He didn't actually poop IN his pants BUT he went right there after.  He blames it on the broken laurel we found.  (little scrubby's don't break laurel).  It was the laughing.

I mean, it's not THAT funny.  BUT, at the time, we were being very serious trying to find a way to hunt these bucks with the wind going down over.  We were just spinning in circles trying to figure it out and getting frustrated with no answer.  I guess I said it at the perfect time.

That vid. is pretty funny.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/28 14:34:32 (permalink)

post edited by pghmarty - 2007/09/28 14:37:45
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/29 09:38:12 (permalink)
    A quality rifle with good optics usually solves the scent issue.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/29 12:42:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: duncsdad

A quality rifle with good optics usually solves the scent issue.

NO
    Being able to use it properly solves the scent issue.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/29 13:08:29 (permalink)
    At first, I bought into the idea that scent blocker, scent sheild etc. worked. After a while, I started thinking with the carbon being on the inside, you are only eliminating scent from the areas of your body that it covers. Since I do not typically wear a carbon suit over my face, hands, feet, etc... I cant picture being totally scent free.

As far as wearing rubber boots, all I can say is that rubber has a smell of its own. I cant imagine deer cant smell rubber. Years ago I bought a pair of lacrosse alphas, and no matter how much I sprayed them, and washed them with scent away, they still smelled like rubber. Not to mention the fact that they made me sweat profusely, and were not near as warm as leather boots.

So, in my opinion, it is impossible to be scent free. All you can truly do is minimize your scent, which I believe in the end could minimize the trace you leave behind.

"forget the wind just hunt" - this is the slogan used to sell the product. I cant help but wonder how many hunts were ruined by this misinformation.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/29 23:36:49 (permalink)
    Marty.

My bad.  The skill to use one was presumed. 

Duncsdad

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/09/30 16:59:51 (permalink)
    Maybe if you paid attention to the wind in rifle season Shawn, you'd see a deer every now and then.    Rifle wouldn't solve that probelm unless you can see 300 yards each way.   
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/01 19:54:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Maybe if you paid attention to the wind in rifle season Shawn, you'd see a deer every now and then.    Rifle wouldn't solve that probelm unless you can see 300 yards each way.   

LOL!!!!!!!

Now that's funny Jon.

You were kidding, right?

Over the past 33 years of hunting deer in PA with a rifle, I have a success (success means a dead deer, not a trail cam picture, seeing one in a spot light, finding scrapes/rubs, or seeing, but not killing) rate of 82% on bucks and 94% on does -- which I believe is probably better than average.  From age 14 to age 40, or 26 seasons, I spent exactly 2 days in the deer woods with a rifle that I did not kill a deer.  Of those bucks, a half dozen or more are they type you all get wood over when you get a trail cam picture of a similar rack.

At age 40 I started to concentrate on getting my father who was in his late 70's/early 80's and my wife, who was new to deer hunting, opportunities.

By the way, where my primary tree stand is located I can see just short of 200 yards straight ahead; about 100 to the left; and about 175 to the right.  From there I have shot deer at all those outter limits; as close as 9 steps; and everywhere in between.  All it takes is a quality rifle, good optics, and , as Marty pointed out, the skill to use it.

Duncsdad

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/02 08:08:35 (permalink)
    Yes, I was picking.  You and I never talk about what you see in the woods so how could I NOT be joking.  CHILL.

And no, all it takes isn't a good quality rifle, otics, and skills.  It seems as if you think you killed (or could have) every single deer around you in history.  Not true at all.

Using trail cams, scouting, and spot lighting is a hunt within its own.   They all could be considered a hobby if you get into them enough.  It's not all about the finally goal of the kill to everyone.  Ever consider people just like spending time in the woods for no other reason than just being there ?  I have a friend that rarely hunts but has trail cams set up everywhere.   Is he inferior to the guy that kills a deer everytime in the woods ?  I don't think so.  Just different intentions.  To each his own.

You ever kill a 5-6 year old buck?  HIGHLY doubt it.  HIGHLY doubt you've ever seen such a creature on hoof.  Neither have I.  That'd give me wood.  Age is more impressive than rack size to me.  Just because I tell someone they got a great buck or a great pic doesn't mean I get a wood.  Nothing wrong with letting a man live high on the mountain with his prize for a bit.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/10/02 15:54:19
    juddthejudge
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/08 00:12:07 (permalink)
    Alright i dont own any scent lok stuff but i dont fell the need to either. I go hunting every year in cotton shirt and pants or whatever the cheap 20 shirt and pants are made of form gander mountain. All i ever do is spray myself with some fresh earth cover scent. I just squeeze the nozzle tigger a couplke times here or there and then spray some onto my hands then i rub the together and then rub my hands on my face and thats if i fill ambitious enough to do so. But anyway i hoof it to my stand pretty quick to get in fast and set up which usually means by the time i hoof the 10 minutes to my stand im sweaty in this unusally hot weather. So im all sweaty and stuff and wering cotton clothes with hardly any scent stuff onmy or to protect me and every year i have deer come in within 5 yaards of my stand and the last couple days the deer practically rubbed my tree as they walked past it. and they came in upwind of me. So i never felt the need to buy that stuff.

If you properly scout and dont make tons of loud noises or jump up and down while in ur stand you should be ok. Heck every half hour or so i stand up and strech in the tree and i flick my realease all the time when i get bored but the deer seem to keep coming in. And thats because i did my homework i know how the deer move. So i dont need to bait, use those outdoor attractive scents, or deer urine crap. Just be smart about it. And this will drive yins nuts, i got attacked by bugs the first day so the last 4 or 5 days ive been out ive had on bug spray all over my body. So itsnot all about scent eliminating so all yins who think ya need it ya dont.

I havnt even had a deer wind me yet this year i had a 4 pointer wind the area when i saw 2 doe come in form 5 yards awaybut nothing towrds me noteven a glass and im not the mostconcealedperson couthere just the mossy oak camo for ya i guess.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/08 07:06:04 (permalink)
    You may be right but I'll guarantee you no 3 year or older buck ever walked in down wind of you. They are a different creature all together...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/09 17:38:17 (permalink)
    Jon,

I am Chilled.  You were jagging me a little, so I was jagging you a little back.  No harm, no foul.

You are correct; it does take more than a quality rifle, good optics and the skill to use them.  One still must be in the right place at the right time.  Whether one gets in that right place by having a knack for it or by studying, scouting, etc., it doesn’t matter – successful hunters get there.

As for your philosophy that hunting success is not measured by a kill, I must disagree.  Maybe it is in my heritage.  My Grandfather would farm all summer in Lithuania; in the fall and winter he would take the money from selling his crops and walk to Italy to buy guns; and then walk them to Siberia to sell; returning home in the spring in time to plant again – hunting for subsistence the whole time.  My father endured several closings that forced him into unemployment and game supplemented our diet.  Heck, during my college years my roommates and I counted on deer meat. 

Maybe it is because at work I am measured on tangible results, not effort. 

Maybe it is because I actually like to shoot deer much more than I like looking for them or watching them. (I never considered that scouting and trail cams and spotting are a sport in themselves, much like rod building and fly tying.  You make a good point there with which I must agree.)

In any case, if my hunt does not end with a kill, I, in my mind, failed.  I know there are a lot of others that do not feel that way.  They enjoy nature and being out in it, just for the sake of it.  So do I.  But I can be out in nature without thousands of dollars worth of equipment.  I can be out in nature on the nice weather days, not when the seasons dictate that I must be.  I can be out in nature well after dawn and well before dark.  I can be out in nature without using up vacation.  I call that a walk.  On this point, I guess we need to agree to disagree.

But back to the original subject – scent control.  I won’t say I don’t pay attention to scent because I probably do – just not conscientiously.  Its part of that knack thing I mentioned earlier.  I do it without thinking about it.  The same is true with location, shooting lanes, and all that.  It seems that where I plunk myself down, deer show up (until recently) in shootable scenarios.  If I really thought about it, after the fact, the wind was probably right, the trails were probably there, there were probably scrapes or food sources or minerals or the moon phase was right or something else.

But somehow, I can’t, in the back of my mind, consider that deer are the super creators that some folks want to make them out to be.  Yes, they have good hearing.  Yes, they have good eyesight for movement.  Yes, they have a tremendous sense of smell.  Yes, they have the instinct and will to live.  But somewhere, somehow, sometime yesterday, today, tomorrow, and everyday going forward, a smart, savvy super deer that requires a cough suppressor, scent elimination clothes, covering scents, a hundred different types of camo, UV killer, tree stands up out of the wind and sight line, and all that to get close enough to kill with a modern bow or a rifle, just stepped out in front of a Mack truck because it didn’t see it, hear it, smell it, or sense it. (By the way, I wrote this before seeing your post on that monster getting hit.)

As for ever seeing a 5 or 6 year old deer, I have seen at least one for sure, probably may more.  How do I know?  Because I saw it 5 years in a row – sometimes in squirrel season, sometimes in gun deer season (once with a rifle and once without because I was done hunting), and several times during the late small game season.  Of course, this was in the years from 1973 to 1978 during the one and done years (for those that don’t remember that, you had a buck tag and if lucky enough to draw one, a doe tag, but if a buck was killed, you were done and the doe tag was no good).

My father shot a five-year-old 10 point with a 22 inch spread – in 1967. 

I have also killed a few bucks that I estimated would have been 4 to 5 years old, none of which were that impressive due to poor genetics – one which had dropped its antlers by doe season.  I didn’t pull the jaws for definite aging, but they were examined by the farmer who raised deer across from the property were they were shot, so it is probably fairly accurate.

In any case, my father’s doctors are no longer permitting him to hunt.  My wife, after hunting deer for 5 years, not seeing a buck as of yet, but killing a doe one year, thought very long and hard about buying a license this year, but ultimately decided to give it another go.  I don’t know how much longer she will go.  When she is done, so am I.  At that point I will have several quality rifles with good optics and experience for sale.

I would not be surprised that it is as soon as next season.

Duncsdad

carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/10 07:11:54 (permalink)
    Did we ever stop and think that some people just stink???
    Not funny, back in the days before scent control there were guys that did not kill a deer in 25yrs!!!!!
    And that was the days befor the so called deer dimize..
    Did those guys smell because of their jobs? this guy worked on cars and smelled like gas and oil,this guy was a cook and smelled like onions and garlic,this guy was a baker and smelled good,LOL... or some guys bodys smelled because of what we put in them?? We know who we are,
    I my self know that my head stinks because my wife tells me so...
    So a few years ago i got my hands on about 50 of those very big zip lock bags and two or three weeks before hunting i put my stuff in one of the bags and fill it with ground clutter, leafs,twigs,dirt, from my hunting area...and i still spray a little earth scent on myself(my head) just because every one does...
    Now i cant say if this stuff works or not because i dont have any,the only scent control i have is the earth itself.. do your homework,watch the wind,put your time in,  Good hunting,Good luck,Be safe....
    juddthejudge
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/10 16:30:33 (permalink)
    bingsbaits you do got me there about the 3 year old deer because where i hunt deer dont last that long and if one happens to sneak through to that ag everybody and there brother is in that area till its harvested which is a shame and is why even though ive seen many legal bucks the past few years ive past to wait on a lucky day that one of sneaky bucks just happen to make it into my area.

But ya its noce to have the latest equipment or trend out there i know on occasion ive fallen to prey of the latest trend or craze. even thoguth i didnt get into the scent lok craze i undestand that people out there do believe it works and for some hey it might i dont know for sure cause im not a scientist who studies it. but like anyhtign else out there its mid over matter if you think ot works or helps you at all thenit is worth getting or at least trying. I could tell yins thatgettign sprayed by a skunk will garentee that you get a deer becaus eit good luck and someone out there will try it. so what whats works for some may not wrk for others type of thing. But for those people who say some people stin more then other true but we have developed water systems and bathroom products to take care of that just because a mechanic may smell like gas doesnt mean he cant go home and wash off before hungint or mask his scent somehow. excuses excuses we all have them. but if those people didnt see any benifit from the scent lock and that research shows that it doesnt help then more power to them to sue the company for false advetising to many times in today life we sue over stupid things against our fellow mand but when compnaies mislead us into beleieving somethign is true whn it may not be afer research shows us the answer then those people have a right ot sue for being misled rememebr its the american way plus it helps the rest of us out because it lets us knows wether we are being driven down the path of misconception
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/11 18:48:59 (permalink)
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/21 12:44:02 (permalink)

But somehow, I can’t, in the back of my mind, consider that deer are the super creators that some folks want to make them out to be.  Yes, they have good hearing.  Yes, they have good eyesight for movement.  Yes, they have a tremendous sense of smell.  Yes, they have the instinct and will to live.  But somewhere, somehow, sometime yesterday, today, tomorrow, and everyday going forward, a smart, savvy super deer that requires a cough suppressor, scent elimination clothes, covering scents, a hundred different types of camo, UV killer, tree stands up out of the wind and sight line, and all that to get close enough to kill with a modern bow or a rifle, just stepped out in front of a Mack truck because it didn’t see it, hear it, smell it, or sense it. (By the way, I wrote this before seeing your post on that monster getting hit.)

--Shawn,

Just wanted to comment on this.

Deer are creatures of nature.  They learn to adapt to thier surroundings.  They learn what to fear and what not to fear.  It's not a fair comparsion to think whitetails (or any other animal besides us) are able to rationalize.  Stepping in front of a car does not mean they didn't hear, see, smell, or sense it.  It likely means they do not see it as a threat.  If that was you and I walking down that road, you think they'd jump out and run into us ??  Never happen because we are seen as a threat.  They just don't understand.  They never will.  If I spotlight a deer throughout their life, they will learn that I'm not a threat and will just stand there.  That's a fact.

It's the same with the deer in treasure lake and the elk in bennezette.  They know where they are safe but cross that boundary and get with them in the woods then they are the sharpest of animals.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Lawsuit filed against Scent Lok 2007/10/31 13:45:14 (permalink)
    guys who gives a **** about what is killed the fact of the matter is the joy of just being out .seeing the critters pulling thier antics or the bs passed at deer camp or the smile from a 12 year olds face after knocking down his first doe.or just the plain ole peace and quiet sitting on top of the world watching a beautiful sunrise on a cold winter morning.that to me gentlemen is what i call hunting:)
    Jump to: