Author
MattyD.
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/24 07:07:14 (permalink)

BunnyLeach -

Hey My Man!

I know you had a pretty rough experience a week or so ago.  I get that!  My question is, were you still able to work the Spey Cast?  I would assume so, just with a lighter sink rate tip - right?  Or maybe a No sink tip, with a bead headed fly for weight and some nice mending to get it down - no that you are going down that far.

I know when I go up late this week and for all of next week the crowds will be thick and working a lot of line will be tough - but I want to still give it a storng try.

Just looking for some advice...  I do know some areas in the SR - specifically the DSR - that people "usually" will not fish, so I should be able to lay out some line...

Thanks -

In Life We All Have Choices. I Choose to Fish!

Fish Off...
MattyD.

8 Replies Related Threads

OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/24 09:57:48 (permalink)
    Hey Matty,

I don't do the spey, but I do lay out some line, as most of my SR fishing is with Atlantic Salmon techniques.

I was up fishing w/my son 9/12-9/16 before the good runs. All I can tell ya, if you know the DSR and know where there is usually good, deep water and good oxygination during normal fall flows(335-750)then fish those areas now. We stayed away from the crowds(holes) and slashers(8" water) and actually had a few good holding areas to ourselves. Of the four days, we fished the DSR two, and had over 40 good hook-ups on down and across swings, and you know what that feels like !!  These were aggresive unmolested fish. Coho's, Steel and a few Kings all taking in the upper water column. One day there were two Spey casters near us and they also hooked-up a few from what I saw.

As far as other parts of the river, go also to where there are strong, almost unfishable runs during normal flows and you will get into fish with your techniques.

Best of luck,

OldSalt
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/24 10:16:51 (permalink)
    Old Salt -

Thank you for the reply.  I was thinking that it would still be do-able (Spey Casting that is) as long as I was away from the Hords of people.  You know how it goes anytime you swing flies with some decent amount of line, you are apt to cross into someone's path especially if you are drifting into the top end of a pool when people are C&D-ing in the lower end of that pool.  But I do know some nice areas of Solitude!  :)

Fish Off...
    MattyD.
    steelie starter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/25 19:50:17 (permalink)
    Matty,Frank from tennessee.I hope you report,cause your words will influence my going or not!!Can't spey,won't play!!!Tell me about spey condition,and just in general let me know if it's worth the very long,very expensive trip...kindest regards.frank 
    bunnyleach
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/25 22:23:13 (permalink)
    I'm sorry for the late reply MD, just been kind of tight up.

Last time I was up there crows weren't as thick as they've been lately ,I'm sure you'll be able to find the room you need to spey fish though,My brother was up there a few day ago and found good water to cast,and swing... there's a nice pool above 2A bridge (you go to walk a little)
    As far as sink tips I didn't use any, just floating line with a 15 foot leader and low water fly with enough weight to get it down I feel with the water so low and clear (if you've never seen 100cfs you'll be surprised) and the thick crows fish are extremely spooky, you got a better shot at getting your fly closer to the fish with the thin and long leader rather than the thick  sink tip,especially withe the current conditions.
    My brother on the other hand used a clear intermediate 12 Ft sink tip and had good success.. I hope you get the combination that works for you (let me know )
    I wish conditions were better to come up and share the river and experiences with you again but , with the current conditions I rather not, I'm fortunate enough to be closer to the adn pick the best time to be there :-) I know for you it's different though
    I wish you the best luck MD enjoy it, and when you see some knuckle head just look the other way don't let them ruin your trip.
    Go get them.

Bunny leach.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/25 23:28:04 (permalink)
    Good luck on your trip to the SR this year Matt,hope you can find that solitude but you better take a helmet and flak jacket just in case!
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/26 06:45:25 (permalink)
    Thanks All-

I have a group of 7 that we are up with, most do some very light C&D, and I can go back and forth.  I choose now to "try" to Spey, so we can find a nice area, and I can slide just above them and swing into them.  We should be able to get 3 on one side and 4 on the other and kind of "own" a section of the river.  We will see how it goes, I certainly am not opposed to walking a distance and abandoning my crew jsut to swing flies by myself for a few hours.

Frank- I am up there from Sunday through next Saturday (Sept 30 - Oct 6).  I will let you know how we do as a group and how I find spey fishing.  I need to find out if someone in my group is bringing a laptop.

Fish Off...
    MattyD.
    steelie starter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/26 17:39:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for reaching out Matt..Appreciate it a bunch,will look for your post...kindest regards....frank
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: BunnyLeach - 2007/09/26 20:06:04 (permalink)
    How are you SS? Hope all is well!

Lyrical
    Jump to: