Pennsylvania's deer program

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/13 13:09:53 (permalink)

Pennsylvania's deer program

Just thought i'd stir things up a bit.....I guess i'm just bored at work...

So after a few years with the new regulations, what are your thoughts? What changes would anyone make?

13 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 19:02:28 (permalink)
    I like it.    I'd like to see more 3 + year old bucks.   No way to get there but to win the lottery.   Plenty of old doe around.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 19:50:53 (permalink)

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 21:25:19 (permalink)
    I would like to go back to a separate Buck and Doe season.  Not for any management reason, but just because selfishly, I'd like to be able experience two Opening Days again.

Actually, quite frankly, at this point, I don't much care if I hunt deer in PA again or not.  I never thought I would ever reach that point because at one time deer hunting was THE thing for me, but alas, over the last 5-7 years, it has been a disappointment to me personally.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    juddthejudge
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 22:07:30 (permalink)
    Well the first couple years were bad but now i do see a improve its slowly getting there but its not a its total potential yet. Honestly they should have 4 on one side for a year or 2 or lower doe tag allotments for a year or 2 then you will see the program really come to its potentential then there be plenty of deer out there and the buck to doe ratio would be closer.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 22:55:42 (permalink)
    Personally, I like it.  I dont see as many deer now as I did prior to the new regs.  It was nothing to see 50 deer in a day up north in the late 70s.  But when 49 of them are doe, and one is a spike, it seems like something is wrong.  And now that buck and doe are held at the same time, all I need to see is one deer....the one I shoot.

I think the people that hate the new system are people who only consider hunting worthwhile if they shoot something.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 23:13:47 (permalink)
    I personally am very happy about the "new" buck program.  I have been seeing more 2 1/2's and 3 1/2's than I ever had.  Hunting primarily in Allegheny county I would love to see them do away with the crossbows.  I found 6 bolts last year in the woods and saw a deer spotting with a bolt hangin out of its side.  People seem to think they are rifles.  Anyhow number of big bucks are up and I think maybe time to ease up on the doe tags.

Chris
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 23:37:05 (permalink)
    I have seen less deer in the past 3-4 years than I have in years prior. That said, I have seen more bucks year after year, since the new regs. I have seen an increase in the size of the bucks, and I have seen more 2.5+ year olds than before. Most people I know, that are fairly serious about hunting deer, have had their best seasons ever within the past 4 years. One thing that is certain, is that I am now much more selective about where I place stands. With fewer deer, the remaining deer are being more selective about where the bed/travel/eat.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/13 23:40:53 (permalink)
    The buck regulations are great! I just came back from spotting 60 minutes in North Hills Allegheny County seen 2 ten points 18"+ spreads, 1 8 point 18+ spread, 5 smaller buck with 2 being legal shooters, and over 25 doe. Now thats alot of deer in the small area I spotted. Thats Allegheny County now things are different in Northern Butler County, I own 24 acres there and we hunt many days with only seeing 1 or 2 deer now these are the same spots I would count 50-60 in 1 day prior to the Game Commission trying to eliminate the complete deer herd with the ridicolous doe season. Why not just open doe hunting up year round? I would love to see a late 3 day hunt maybe even 2 days the way it use to be when I was growing up. I dont even care if I shoot a deer anymore. I had a 2D, and 5 2B tags last year never shot a deer! How many could have I shot if I felt the need all 6 doe tags and my buck tag would have been filled. I just can't bring myselfto shoot a doe in Butler with the way the herd dropped in the last 4 years.

I have seen entirely to many deer with legs hanging, dead, legs missing from archery and rifle's it makes me sick. There are guys hunting these strip mines and you hear shot after shot they never go to check and see if they hit the deer or not they just wait until one falls. If the deer keeps going they dont take the time to track them it sucks! I have notified the PA Game Commission and still nothing being done. I ask if they could be cited for shooting at random never got an answer. But boy get caught with a spotlight on after 11:00 and they do there job.

Pa would be a great place to hunt if the hunters used there brains and payed close attention to the herd in the area they hunt and limited what they killed. There is NO DOUBT THE BUCK ANTLER RESTRICTIONS WORK!! I will try to post some pictures or videos of some buck we see I spot almost every night.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/14 08:18:18 (permalink)
    In Pennsylvania, I think we are managing the herd about as well as we can considering the traditions and the numbers of hunters.

I am all for some kind of antlered management.  Do I think point restrictions are the best.  NO, from a biological perspective.  There are many ways to limit buck harvest. Spread restrictions, age retrictions, weapon restrictions or much shorter seasons.  All would accomplish the same goal, move more bucks into an older age class.  In Pa., you couldn't enforce spread or age restrictions and a weapon restriction would go over like a lead balloon.  That leaves shortening the buck season but I admit I like to hunt and take my time so I don't think I would like that either.

So, I guess, I am back to agreeing with the current point restrictions.

I think we manage our antlerless harvest well.  I would like to see less button buck harvest though but that is a tough one to do.  All you can do is educate and hope.  You could have a earn a buck program and if you shoot a BB that would make you ineligible for a buck tag.  But that would require check stations and we all know the PGC is underfunded and staffed at the moment.

I would like to see a few the PGC try a few big buck management areas.  Take a few select counties with good habitat and limit the harvest of younger bucks further with a spread restriction or very short gun season.  That would be interesting.  Much like some units out west do for thier big game. 

You could make tags available by lottery for that unit or units.  That would add alot of interest and raise a little revenue.  What do ya think of that.

Anyway got to go for now.  Check back later.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/14 08:50:58 (permalink)
    Id like to see them make it 4 on a side, state wide.

I would be all for doe season being seperate from buck in rifle again. What happens is guys go out there shoot a doe at 8am, stay till noon... go home and dont come back till the next saturday, if at all. Or they spend the rest of the time riding the road. You all know thats what happens, not saying you do it, im sure you know someone who does.

Also, I want to see it that if you get caught stealing someones gear, you lose your license for 5 years and you pay a fine.

I wanna see deer check stations, just like bears. Im sick of these people who shoot 10 or 15 deer in a year, thats rediculas. When you check the deer in, they keep the tag. You cant catch everyone whos illegal. But Ill bet this would slow it down.

Give up the current first week of archery in favor of another week at the end. I would rather hunt the week in the rut then when its 75 outside.

Raise the price of doe tags to $20, change the extra spring turkey to $6

And last but not least, listen to the hunters, if we tell you the herd in an area is decimated, it most likely is. Dont keep putting tags out just to make money.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/18 00:25:41 (permalink)
    The PGC is under funded and unfortunately, they have to commit funds to frivilous lawsuits and legal actions by idiot groups like the Unified Sportsmen of PA.  Unified thinks it has the solution when clearly, they are part of the problem.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/18 07:17:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

I personally am very happy about the "new" buck program.  I have been seeing more 2 1/2's and 3 1/2's than I ever had.  Hunting primarily in Allegheny county I would love to see them do away with the crossbows.  I found 6 bolts last year in the woods and saw a deer spotting with a bolt hangin out of its side.  People seem to think they are rifles.  Anyhow number of big bucks are up and I think maybe time to ease up on the doe tags.

Chris

Be very careful what you wish for.  There are many groups out there that would make the same claims about archers...  I am not a big crossbow fan, but I would be very hesitant to cannibalize other sportsmen for using them.  I am sure there are bad apples, but that will happen in any activity where groups of people participate. As for the new regs, I like them and have been VERY successful under them.  My photos from the last few years have been scattered across these boards.  I would like to see dramatic reductions on doe permits up north, as they seem to have gone ditch to ditch.  The PGC could solve a lot of problems with major logging and replanting operations.  The lumber alone would pay for the resources to redevelop the entire area. Everyone have a great season.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Pennsylvania's deer program 2007/09/18 09:56:28 (permalink)
    Totally agree with your post . I own a small farm south of Chicora before the liberal doe harvest I had 60+ healthy deer in the back field . Now there is perhaps a dozen . The land had no problem holding them before and I've seen no significant antler growth in my area . It is my belief we are shooting off our good genetics while the scrub bucks are untouchable & breeding merily . You better believe I'm recruiting all the kids in the family to start whacking the scrubs . We always had a couple bruisers around the smart ones that stick to the nocturnal pattern now there's not enough venison to support the folks hunting out my way. I know us sportsman can come up with a better management strategy . Same way up north (forest county)used to see 80 plus deer as a kid ; now you're lucky to see a dozen. Please buy doe tags & throw em away . Many mom & pop shops are struggling with the out of staters selling thier camps and who could blame them ; spend a hundred bucks in gas to take the gun for a walk . Oout of control . Our children will thank us. God Bless each & every one . I gave up rifle hunting & now just use my Mathews ; I shoot a buck evry year and only hunt doe in the city where they need to be taken.
    Jump to: