Clarion River 9-10-07 ==

Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/10 17:22:07 (permalink)

Clarion River 9-10-07 ==

I received an E-mail on Sunday from a gentleman who had visited my website and had asked some questions in regards to a planned canoe/fishing trip later this month.

So about noon I decided "what the heck"

I'll take the fishing rod and some nightcrawlers and see how it is... even though I have fished it VERY VERY little this year due to VERY low water levels...

I spent about a half hour at two spots and managed two smallies and a BIG sucker... and lost two other fish in my excitement to get them landed... I, of all people, should know better than to try to "horse" in fish from the Clarion River... but "stuff" happens... LOL

Anyhow.... here is a photo of one of the smallies.....

TIL LATER..
Doc
http://members.tripod.com/drsems/outdoorworld.html

3 Replies Related Threads

vinnytobasco
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Clarion River 9-10-07 == 2007/09/10 19:11:48 (permalink)
    wow whene i went to the clarion river it sucked all i caught was a couple small smallmouth and a couple small fall fish.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Clarion River 9-10-07 == 2007/09/12 07:22:29 (permalink)

Water color, temperature and water levels are probably the three most importnat things to think of when deciding on which parts of the river to fish.

I rarely do not catch both trout and smallmouths on a trip to the Clarion.. in fact the only two species I have not caught are Northerns and Muskies...

Deciding on the spots to fish can be difficult, you just can't tosss in a line an expect to catch fish in any part of the river..

And of course there will always be that day you may not catch any in spite of a well thought out plan of action.. just like you are not always going to see deer on every trip into the woods :)

TIL LATER..
    Doc

Stevoaw
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Clarion River 9-10-07 == 2007/09/13 14:37:23 (permalink)
    I haven't been there for two years, but we used to fish the section of the river between the dam and the rt. 322 bridge a few nights a week in the fall and spring.  We always did very well on the smallmouth casting 1/4 oz bright jigs with nightcrawlers to the shore towards downed trees.  We only fished for smallmouth AFTER we hit up three key spots for walleye.  Never cause any huge walleye, but we did pretty good most nights at those spots. 
    Jump to: