Little bitta help?

Author
Nels66
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points: 0
2009/11/10 10:59:43 (permalink)

Little bitta help?

Hey fellas (and ladies)...I'm a big fan of winter steelheading and a recent convert to the flyrod (mostly).  I was wondering if anyone near the Girard area might be willing to give me a little personal help on tying some flies.  I've got many of the basic tools and a nice vise and bench but not a lot of practical experience with anything other than sucker spawn.  Any help would be appreciated and of course, I'd be happy to supply a few beers too! 

I've looked over a lot of the fly-tying sites but I thought some practical instruction might be best.  You guys always seem willing to offer help which is why I ask....

Many thanks...

9 Replies Related Threads

DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/10 11:02:22 (permalink)
    try here... (separate forum for tyin)

http://forums.fishusa.com/Fly_Tying/forumid_25/tt.htm
    Nels66
    New Angler
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/10 11:10:40 (permalink)
    Will do...thanks
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/10 18:38:00 (permalink)
    what kinda flies you interested in tying.. i can tie most flies used for steelhead, anything from stoneflies to streamers.. i live in fairview.. so i could possibly lend you a hand if i had an idea of what you wre trying to tie
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/10 20:04:56 (permalink)
    I've seen byahn's ties.  Have a few myself.  They catch fish, which is really what you want your flies to do.  Take him up on that offer or give Lake Erie Ultimate Angler a call.  They offer fly tying classes.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    TheSnowman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/10 23:57:41 (permalink)
    Nels just go on youtube and search there are step by step videos to help thats how i learned to tie many different flies..have fun the first fish you catch on a flie you tied is a feeling like no other...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/11 10:56:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TheSnowman

Nels just go on youtube and search there are step by step videos to help thats how i learned to tie many different flies..have fun the first fish you catch on a flie you tied is a feeling like no other...

While you can learn a specific pattern from a tutorial or a video, there's no replacement for in-person instruction and critique. Even just a single session of a few hours tying with an expert at tying will improve your skills more than one might think. A series of several sessions is even better.

I did just that, and while I probably could have managed to tie 75% of the patterns we covered without the one-on-one, the things that really saw improvement were the little things (that are actually big things) that you rarely see in a tutorial. Things like proportioning, minor details, tricks & techniques, alternatives to the standard tie, suggestions on specific conditions to use the fly and how to use it...

Even more importantly is the experienced eye to let you know that something you've been doing all along without realizing it is causing you problems, or will in the future.

I'm far, far from considering myself an "experienced" or even a "proficient" tyer, but after tying several hundred flies over the past year, I'm starting to feel like i'm progressing out from the realm of the beginner. I've gained the confidence to tackle more ambitious ties, and I'm starting to see what it is about certain ties and materials that makes them look and behave they way they do. And while I'd not feel comfortable conducting a true "lesson" yet, I enjoy sharing what I know with people just getting started.

That said, if you've got any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to try and help you out. I'm several hours from Erie, but I've helped out a few beginners this fall and they seem to have gotten something from it, and were able to tie some really nice flies. Like I said before, I'm by no means an expert, but I'm willing to share with you what I DO know, as well as my opinions on different aspects of tying (you'll find that 80% of the "rules" of tying are opinions too).
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/11 12:27:06 (permalink)
    I am new to tying myself.
    I started with some handme down equipment and some feathers..
    I picked a couple easy patterns to start on.

Until you can get a good FTF lesson from one of the good tyers, don't be afraid to pick a pattern and give it a try.
    I did that posted some pics got some excellent critiques and my next batch was that much better..

These fellas on here have shortened my learning curve considerably..Thanks guys....

I started out with Wooly Buggers, easy and useful...Really helped me learn the basics...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Nels66
    New Angler
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/12 07:59:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions all.  I will definitely take you fellas up on your offers for help.  Will be in touch!  And I'll be sure to post some pics of my various disasters....

"Do NOT...I repeat...do NOT blow the hatch!"

"Roger! Hatch blown!"
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Little bitta help? 2009/11/12 08:23:26 (permalink)
    I started out with Wooly Buggers, easy and useful...Really helped me learn the basics...

Bings makes a great point. Recently, I met with two fellow board members here to help get them started off on the right foot with tying. I figured sucker spawn would be square one and we'd progress to the slightly more involved bugger from there. I was really surprised when both of them took to the bugger WAY more quickly than the egg. I think part of that has to do with the fact that there's more "feel" involved with sucker spawn. There's more tension control and proportion management involved to make a good looking fly. Not saying its a difficult tie by any means, but just that the woolly buggers, while involving more materials, might be a more straightforward tie.
    Jump to: