Are brown trout running?

Author
bunnyleach
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
  • Reward points: 0
2007/09/08 00:26:39 (permalink)

Are brown trout running?

while i was up there (Pulaski) I went to the hatchery and they had a tape playing and it said the fish were Skamania, Atlantic, adn browns, (I don't know when the video was taped) but i was wondering if it was to early for brown trout to running right now.
I read some where, that browns start running between October and November.
So the question is this... is it to early for browns to be running right now?

7 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Are brown trout running? 2007/09/08 00:44:49 (permalink)
    I should think there are a few around Bunnyleach. Last year there were a number of good Browns reported in Sept. I think Dawn @ Yankee Fly Shop caught a 13# Brown on 9/13 last year in DSR. Around that time there were some other huge Browns reported. They come in to feast on the Eggs I guess. I hope to get into some Browns myself. They always seem to elude me.

Lyrical
    Randy Jones
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Are brown trout running? 2007/09/09 08:44:32 (permalink)
    Yes, a few Steelhead and Browns are always in the mix when the King's are running, even this early. (Confirmed report's of a few being caught lately) Personally, not enouph for me to target but some anglers are with some success. Swinging streamers (baitfish imitations useing a fly or Big Nymph's) and or useing bait would be some of your better options if targeting browns or steelhead. You are correct, most run in Oct. and Nov.
    Best of luck!
    Randy Jones
    -----------
    www.yankeeangler.com
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Are brown trout running? 2007/09/10 17:53:40 (permalink)
    Can be a productive time. I 've hooked into nice brownies early on. Gets better as time goes on...  OTH
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Are brown trout running? 2007/09/11 01:07:40 (permalink)
    I've also heard Oswego gets Browns early in good numbers if that helps.

Lyrical
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Are brown trout running? 2007/09/11 09:53:27 (permalink)
    bunnyleach,

Really depends on flow. There will be browns in early but the higher flows and colder temps bring them in.  If you target and fish for the browns you'd be surprised how many are there. Last year in early Sept., I landed more browns than kings, upwards to 10 pounds. This year, I have heard from good sources that a few brown's have run with the mix of coho's. It seems that brown's do run with the coho's more than with the king's.
    Good luck,

Tight lines,

OldSalt
    bunnyleach
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: Are brown trout running? 2007/09/11 15:49:05 (permalink)
    Thank you for the info guys!
    I was just surprise to see a lot of browns ( it it was a lot of them) mixed in with skamanias. and Atlantic's in the video, I don't know wen the video was taken but judging  from the time the skamies and Atlantic's run, I thought it was kind of odd, which is great because this means if you fish the summer you have a good chance to catch ether one of  them since the number of fish that are moving are greater than i thought.
    Thanks again guys... You know salmon trutta?... you've given me a great advise i will try oswego river that's a great option especially now that the SR. is so low :-)

Good luck on your future fishing.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Are brown trout running? 2007/09/11 16:17:24 (permalink)
    I would think the Oswego is very low also,they're all low!The Oswego gets more Browns then the SR,at least in the past,but they also run from Oct on,if you want Browns go to the Oak and thereabouts,they get more than the eastern tribs.
    Jump to: