Ross reels

Author
norm289
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/28 22:47:25 (permalink)

Ross reels

Anybody have any personal knowledge of the Ross Flystart reels?  Looking for something other than what I find online or in catalogs.  Am looking for a reel to be used primarily as a back up and something I can throw on a rod for my little boy when we go out.  For what I want to do, the pricing is perfect.  Just need to know if it's a decent reel or not.  Open to other suggestions, thanks!

10 Replies Related Threads

TheSnowman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Ross reels 2009/10/28 23:37:27 (permalink)
    My buddy got a nice ross last year off e-bay not sure what model but was really nice hope this helps good luck dude..
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Ross reels 2009/10/29 00:40:51 (permalink)
    I own a Ross Rythm and have also fished Evolutions and a Canyon. They are awesome pieces of equipment. The machining on them is top-notch, finishes are durable, smooth as butter, and they have great drags.

But.....

The flystart is made by Ross Worldwide, a branch of Ross USA (where the higher end reels are made). I don't have any firsthand experience with the flystart, but I am pretty sure they have a gear style disc drag. My experience with these types of drags is very poor. I have noted with similar style drags (Redington) that they don't have much adjustment and foul very easily.

Please double check the details on them, as I could easily be getting this reel confused with another. But, if they do have the style of drag that I think they do I, I would personally avoid them.

norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ross reels 2009/10/29 01:12:59 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. 

Esox, you are right.  After doing some more searching it is a gear to gear style drag.  I have a gear to gear drag on another reel and never had any issues with it, but then again its on a small stream, small trout setup. 

Like I said, I liked the price.  $50 to $65 for a reel that isn't made out of graphite or some other composite material. 
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Ross reels 2009/11/07 11:54:35 (permalink)
    If this helps I personally own a Ross CLA reel. It is a great real for the price. It has lifetime warranty and is smooth. I think you might be happy if you stepped it up and tried one.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Ross reels 2009/11/08 10:53:10 (permalink)
    look at the okuma sierra reels. i have 1 and caught a lot of steelies on it. the drag is pretty good anf i never had an issue with mine.
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Ross reels 2009/11/08 12:12:55 (permalink)
    if interested.. i might.. just might have a redington RS2 7/8 wt reel lying around the house. things build like a tank.. drag is nice.. few nicks on it but what goods a reel if you cant take it where you wanna go.. ill look for it and PM you if your interested.. would sell for 50$ if i find it
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Ross reels 2009/11/09 12:15:09 (permalink)
    I recently picked up the flystart 4.  I got mine shipped with line, backing, and leader for $65 and it has been worth it so far.  I can not attest to the longevity of the reel, but on the one trip it was used I had no issues landing 7 steelhead and a brown.  I really had to crank down the drag compared to other more expensive reels that friends were using, to acheive the same stopping power. (i never had to crank it down the whole way while fishing, just did it for comparison)  This was the first time that I have fly fished for steelhead so I did not want to drop a lot of money on a reel.  I bought it with the outlook that if it lasts me 3 or 4 seasons I will be happy....might last a lifetime, might crap out next trip.  Sorry I coulnt help more, cabelas has a few reviews for the reel on their site...although nobody really rates it for the drag, mostly trout stream users reviews.  
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Ross reels 2009/11/09 13:11:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

look at the okuma sierra reels. i have 1 and caught a lot of steelies on it. the drag is pretty good anf i never had an issue with mine.

I have a sierra 4/5 and love it, in fact, like it more than the battenkills made here in the states... it is, however, a very light, soft material.  This could be a problem with the little man if he drops it or something, as they tend to bend and chip very easy.

I almost bought a flystart for steelhead this year, and after some research and opinions from credible sources here and other forums, opted out.  Tough situation Norm.  Can't wait 'til he gets a little older and we get him out on the gem.  Don't be too upset when he wants to throw dries with JimHalupka instead of swinging those silly streamers hahahah.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Ross reels 2009/11/09 14:51:09 (permalink)
    i have the small flystart.  use a 4wt line on it.  it's be good for a back up, which is mainly what i use it for.  it's durable, the drag start up is weak and choppy, it doesnt chip when dropped like some do... 

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: Ross reels 2009/11/09 18:49:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

ORIGINAL: RIZ

I have a sierra 4/5 and love it, in fact, like it more than the battenkills made here in the states... it is, however, a very light, soft material.  This could be a problem with the little man if he drops it or something, as they tend to bend and chip very easy.

I almost bought a flystart for steelhead this year, and after some research and opinions from credible sources here and other forums, opted out.  Tough situation Norm.  Can't wait 'til he gets a little older and we get him out on the gem.  Don't be too upset when he wants to throw dries with JimHalupka instead of swinging those silly streamers hahahah.

HAHA! Nice Jim.  One problem though, dries don't have enough marabou or bunny strips for his liking, LOL!

Thanks again guys for all the input!
    Jump to: