Tying Equipment Help

Author
washdog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 408
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/21 20:20:29 (permalink)

Tying Equipment Help

Hey all, I wanna get set up to start tying, I've read the other post on tying kits / resources and wanted to get a little more info on different vices and tools. I want to get what a beginner could use from the start but am willing to spend enough to get one that will also last me for a while. I'm not sure if there are more advanced options that come with better or more expensive vices and tools or if basically any will do?  I think I will take the advice from the other post to just buy what I need for a few patterns to start, but definately want quality equipment.  Any help would be greatly appreciated Guys, and thanks to all in advance.
Bob

7 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Tying Equipment Help 2009/10/21 20:39:11 (permalink)
    Bob, As far as tools to start tying flies. it all really depends on how much you want to spend. Personally, and I'm sure there are others who may feel differently as everyone has their own preference when it comes to tools, but I started tying with a used Thompson Pro AA vice. That was some 30 years ago and I went to a renzetti rotary vice just two years ago. That AA cost me $10 back then and it lasted just fine for me. Tied alot of flies with it. Now I think they are about $30 compared to my Renzetti which cost me about $150. If I were you you may want to try tying with a buddy to see if you really think it's something you would like. Or take a course. Then decide if you want to invest the $. Either way I can promise you that it will get addicting.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Tying Equipment Help 2009/10/21 20:43:48 (permalink)
    I just started myself.
    I bought a nice little tool kit at Gander Mountain for $15.
    All the basic tools except a vise.
    Whip finish, bobbin, hair stacker, scissors , needle, hackle pliers...

Ps. be careful it can be addicting as I now have 6 dozen (Some funky looking) Wooly buggers...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tying Equipment Help 2009/10/21 20:56:57 (permalink)
    Glad to hear your still at it bing --- sounds like your hooked! Next you'll be brushing your dog and collecting the fur for dubbing. (My yellow lab is the best brushed dog around - makes great hairs ear dubbin)

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Tying Equipment Help 2009/10/21 21:27:15 (permalink)
    steely my lab and shep could suppy enough hair for the board for a year.As for a vise i would check ebay i seen used regals going for as lil as 80.00 bucks.this is regals bottom line vice
    post edited by fishenfool46 - 2009/10/21 21:30:41

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tying Equipment Help 2009/10/21 21:33:01 (permalink)
    Good point FF - lots of good deals on e-bay. probably your best bet.

John Gierach

Rickerd
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Tying Equipment Help 2009/10/22 15:13:04 (permalink)
    I will second to start with a quality but less expensive vise. I started 20 years ago with a Thompson A for $39. I bought a regal just a few years ago. I tied at least 500 flies on my Thompson. Now my kids use it when I teach them.

best,
    Rickerd
    6point7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Tying Equipment Help 2009/10/23 10:39:04 (permalink)
    This here has everything you need to get started...
    http://www.fishusa.com/Wapsi-Deluxe-Fly-Tying-Starter-Kit_p.html
    Jump to: