Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/20 07:57:29 (permalink)

B.O.

Blown Opportunity.  Big Time.

I lost my composure when I rattled in what could've been the biggest buck of my life last night.  Could've being the most important word in that sentence.  I had him at 10 yards, and he saw me, shaking.  If he wouldn't have heard me breathing/shaking, he would've taken one final step, but he never came completely out, just his head.  He looked up at me, wondering what this this was that was so shook up, and he slowly sneaked his way back into the thicket I drew him out of.  I could've taken a head shot, a neck shot, even a shoulder shot, but that worried me bad.  That and I was shaking.  Worse then EVER before.  If I would've let the arrow fly, it would have been a marginal shot at best.  It was so close to dark. 

I brought him in on high alert anyway, so I should've been better prepared.  He never blew, or ran away, he just kind of sneaked off.  So the question is.....

Is Friday too soon to hunt him again?  And if I do, do you think I should try a different stand location on the same farm? And why the hell did I get it so bad this time?  I've killed many-a-bucks, and I never had it this bad.  What do you guys do to calm yourself down?  I tried my normal go to move, (close my eyes, make a mean face, grit the teeth-what most people would do if they were storming a beach)  but it didn't work.  I opened my eyes up and I think I was worse off then before.

13 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 08:26:36 (permalink)
    I've told the story many times of a friend that used to shoot 590's out of 600 on paper but couldn't hit a deer for his life.  I've watched him put 59 out of 60 arrows in a quarter-sized hole at 20 yards during competition.  Missed 4 bucks one morning.  There is no substitute for spending time with deer all year.  That includes deer that get you excited.

Sounds like you made the right choice on passing him.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 12:27:03 (permalink)
    Friday should be fine but move your stand. You seldom get a second chance at an older buck from the same location once he has made you.
    Bull Lifter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 407
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 12:39:00 (permalink)
    i'd hunt the next morning, chances are just cuz he saw you doesnt mean he didnt know what you are. and its getting to the time of year where he wont be using his head to much and i hardly think he'll rememeber what tree you were in. I've gotten caught in the tree before, from bucks, and the next morning they came back under again, now im saying NOT every deer won't forget, but I'm saying its possible to kill a deer in the same tree/stand after its caught you. And I'd also say, if the area you are hunting is in "hot" mode i'd probably continue to hunt, specially if he didnt snort at you.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 12:59:39 (permalink)
    Man that's the worst.

Let me ask you this, have you been consistently seeing deer? My past 4/5 trips have been squirrel fests, and when I finally saw a small 8pt. I got all antsy. Even though I decided to pass.
    I think we get lulled during the "Lull" of the season, and get sloppy. I know I do. Stop doing little things, and quite frankly I got scared when I saw that Buck after a while of nothing, almost surprised.

Either way, Maybe move your stand 10 or 15 yards away? Other side of thicket maybe?

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 13:33:11 (permalink)
    Move the stand, and hunt away.  I had the same issue about a week ago.  I have shot over 20 bucks with my bow, and that one had me rattled for some reason, ended up hitting a limb & miss.  He was back 2 nights later.

I think when you have to wait on them in close like that it is worse.  I like to focus on the spot I want to shoot.  Pick out all the details and think about a nice smooth release. (us fingers shooters still have that problem).

Beyond that, I say ENJOY IT.  Yes it is a sick feeling when you don't get the shot, but that rush is why we do what we do!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 15:41:55 (permalink)
    db, I think you might have it right.  I haven't been seeing many deer, and this was defiantly my first shooter.

I was thinking about moving to the other side of the thicket, in fact, it is a nice morning spot because it is between 2 thickets.  I was hoping to save it for the rut though, because historically, it is a great travel corridor.

I hate to pressure him too much, that is all.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 15:54:46 (permalink)
    Good decision not to take the marginal shot.

Best time to hunt him again: Whenever you can.

I read somewhere that 100% of the bucks that get spooked by an encounter with a hunter do NOT get harvested by that same hunter when he doesn't hunt that buck again. So, your only chance is to get back out there!
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 17:08:26 (permalink)
    I agree with these guys, just go out there and hunt and have fun. It sounds to me like the buck just lost interest. If you decide to rattle again just change it up a little bit.......
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 18:30:44 (permalink)
    I missed the biggest buck I've shot last archery season. 2 weeks later he was on his way to the taxidermist. Hunted my climber about 80 yards from where I missed him and he came back for a secong shot. The day I got him I shook more than the day I missed him. I think I know how you feel. Go get him!!!!!!!!! Good Luck, thats all you need!
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 19:04:39 (permalink)
    every time that deer walks by the tree he will look up there.
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/20 21:09:53 (permalink)
    I would leave the area. Hunt ajoining areas the next week or two and let the spot settle. If your not seeing deer in the other areas around this spot, then slip back in last few days of october or first week of november. Bucks dont grow that big by being dumb. He knows something was up in the tree that was not normal and I dont think he will forget till hes in the zone lookin for does. Thats what I would do anyways.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/23 19:20:42 (permalink)
    I had somewhat of the same thing happen to me last year tippe.I was setup on a oak flat leading to a corn field.I was rattling and grunting.I rattle a little 6 point in early in the evening.Then i was about ready to get down at dark i thought i saw a giant rack coming through the trees.I waited here he came looking at my decoy at 23 yards.I waited for him to turn for a better shot.The light was fading fast i was sweeting bullets.He finally turnt i drew could barely see through my peep but tell you the truth i really don't remember aiming.I shot right under him and never saw him again.
    gooseman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: B.O. 2009/10/23 21:37:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

Blown Opportunity.  Big Time.

I lost my composure when I rattled in what could've been the biggest buck of my life last night.  Could've being the most important word in that sentence.  I had him at 10 yards, and he saw me, shaking.  If he wouldn't have heard me breathing/shaking, he would've taken one final step, but he never came completely out, just his head.  He looked up at me, wondering what this this was that was so shook up, and he slowly sneaked his way back into the thicket I drew him out of.  I could've taken a head shot, a neck shot, even a shoulder shot, but that worried me bad.  That and I was shaking.  Worse then EVER before.  If I would've let the arrow fly, it would have been a marginal shot at best.  It was so close to dark. 

I brought him in on high alert anyway, so I should've been better prepared.  He never blew, or ran away, he just kind of sneaked off.  So the question is.....

Is Friday too soon to hunt him again?  And if I do, do you think I should try a different stand location on the same farm? And why the hell did I get it so bad this time?  I've killed many-a-bucks, and I never had it this bad.  What do you guys do to calm yourself down?  I tried my normal go to move, (close my eyes, make a mean face, grit the teeth-what most people would do if they were storming a beach)  but it didn't work.  I opened my eyes up and I think I was worse off then before.

Have you been back out there yet ?

Chicken,
    Chalk one up for the deer. Don't remember aiming ?? Could barely see through the peep ? I'm glad you missed. One less wounded deer.......
    post edited by gooseman - 2009/10/23 22:00:12
    Jump to: