keeping egg patterns down

Author
apolloguy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/19 12:36:30 (permalink)

keeping egg patterns down

what is the best method of keeping egg patterns down where you need them. i;ve used shot but i get a lot of knots in my leaders.

12 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 12:45:58 (permalink)
    This year, I switched to Twist-ons "matchstick" lead, and now will probably use it for all of my nymph and egg fishing. The lead comes in a pack that looks like a book of matches, with the paper book and the matches are replaced with thin strips of lead. You just break off a stick (or a half of a stick), and wrap it around your line wherever you need the weight, then give it a good twist to tighten it so it doesnt slip.

I find it gets hung up on the bottom less than shot, and the twist method means you dont have anything clamped tightly and possibly weakening your tippet. Also, you can slightly untwist it so that you can slide it up or down your leader as necessary, or totally remove it, with no damage to your tippet/leader.

Since my egg patterns tend to float like a cork, I'll also use a sink gel on them.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 12:57:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

This year, I switched to Twist-ons "matchstick" lead, and now will probably use it for all of my nymph and egg fishing. The lead comes in a pack that looks like a book of matches, with the paper book and the matches are replaced with thin strips of lead. You just break off a stick (or a half of a stick), and wrap it around your line wherever you need the weight, then give it a good twist to tighten it so it doesnt slip.

I find it gets hung up on the bottom less than shot, and the twist method means you dont have anything clamped tightly and possibly weakening your tippet. Also, you can slightly untwist it so that you can slide it up or down your leader as necessary, or totally remove it, with no damage to your tippet/leader.

Since my egg patterns tend to float like a cork, I'll also use a sink gel on them.

gees, who turned you on to those?

if you fish deeper pockets you can add reg. split shots with the lead strips. butt the split shot against the lead strip between the lead strip and fly. the lead strip will still prevent the split shop from hanging up as much.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/10/19 13:10:13

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2992
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 13:06:41 (permalink)
    I use split shot. Mostly, small blackbird shot and sometimes B & BB sized shot.
    I'll have to give the lead ribbon a try.
    Where are you guys getting it? 
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 13:15:17 (permalink)
    the orvis shop in volant. not sure if fishusa sells them. some fly shops sell them but you got to look around. i get mine up at rte. 66 sporting goods up my way.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 13:15:38 (permalink)
    My FLFS (friendly local fly shop) has it. Before that, I got a pack long ago at an orvis shop that just had it in a "basically free box of junk"...got it because it was a cool concept, but never really used it.

Then Jerry recommended it so highly and I had to give it a more serious look, in the process discovering that my FLFS had it. If you're having trouble locating some I could grab some for you and send them up.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 13:27:29 (permalink)
    they are also good fo tying stoneflies and flat nymphs. just lay the strip on top of the hook shaft and tie it on. then when you dub the body the body is flatter like a nymph is instead of round.

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 14:34:54 (permalink)
    Good idea anad, I never thought of that.

If you are really having trouble getting your flies down, they are probably tied with way too material. If you tie your own flies tie them sparser by adjusting the amount of yarn or strands of angora your using. If you are buying them stay away from the el-cheapo angora flies that use way too much material and try the SS's tied with glo-bug yarn. If your egg patterns are floating with no weight they are tied too dense.
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 15:20:31 (permalink)

I love the Dinsmores.  They are not damaging to your line, nice shpe that does not hang up during a drift and can be removed easy.  Fish USA sells them

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

River_Drifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 16:51:20 (permalink)
    Hareline has put out a "putty" like weight that has tungsten in it. Its pretty workable, I havent tried in freezing conditions yet but it supposed to work well then also. I like it as you can take as much or as little as you need and make a kind of noodle with it on your tippet. its removable and reuseable. Only tried it on one outing but it seemed to work fairly well.

I like the idea of adding a piece of tippet with a weight at the bottom also, gonna have to try that.

Fish USA carries a similar product called "Tung Fu"
    http://www.fishusa.com/Anglers-Image-Tung-Fu-Moldable-Tungsten-Putty_p.html
    post edited by River_Drifter - 2009/10/19 16:53:13
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 20:14:05 (permalink)
    The putty turns into a rock in the cold,have to keep it in you pocket. Thanks,doubletaper,I got at least 20 matchpacks of lead and never thought of using it the weight flies,in stead of wire.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/19 20:16:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Black bird...
    Afraid of nicking line by pinching on split? Leave and extra inch of tag end on your tippet knot and attach shot to it instead of main line.
    Another technique that gets a fly down with minimum weight is ti attach an 8 inch piece of 7x tippet to the bottom fly(tied through the eye) then tie an overhand knot in the tip of the 7x. Attach small weight to the 7x piece(overhand knot keeps the weight from sliding off). This is a highly effective nymph technique. The line gets pulled straight down through the water column in a straight line rather than in a "V" which has more resistance. Less weight, better drift, less snagging bottom, less lost flies...

very nice idea
    trackerz
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: keeping egg patterns down 2009/10/22 07:37:13 (permalink)
    I fished Spring Creek last year and met a guy that was hammering the trout on sow bugs.  His rig was very interesting.  He had a spit shot on the end of this tippet and then had two flies hanging down off of about a three inch dropper loop.  He set me up with it and it was amazing how my strike count went up. 
    Jump to: