Frost and hatches

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/19 07:50:15 (permalink)

Frost and hatches

Since the first "good frost" has arrived, how will this affect insect hatches for the fall? Are they pretty much done? A few caddis here and there? Are they unaffected?

7 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Frost and hatches 2009/10/19 08:05:09 (permalink)
    You will see some sparse BWO and midges, and small black stones all winter in most free-stoners.  As far as full on "hatches" you aren't going to see many unless you hit a warm day or a tail-water that stays constant temps.  Now is the time for nymphs though.   Despite popular belief  all winter it's business as usual under the water for trout.  
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Frost and hatches 2009/10/19 08:43:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loomis

You will see some sparse BWO and midges, and small black stones all winter in most free-stoners.  As far as full on "hatches" you aren't going to see many unless you hit a warm day or a tail-water that stays constant temps.  Now is the time for nymphs though.   Despite popular belief  all winter it's business as usual under the water for trout.  

Thanks, man. I did pretty well last year late-Dec early-Jan on copper johns and eggs. I'll have to start using midges more too.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Frost and hatches 2009/10/19 08:52:12 (permalink)
    sure DuuD anything in winter that is fished deep and slow in the middle of pools or long runs.......the egg/nymph dropper can be killer. Your most active fish will be settled in to feed when the water reaches a constant temperature whether is it peaking, or leveling off for one hour or more, even 33 degrees.  The fluctuation is usually what puts the trout down.  And the best part about winter trout fishing is that you CAN go to the bar the night before and feel semi-normal while fishing, because you don't have to be out real early.  I usually start around 11.  
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Frost and hatches 2009/10/19 08:56:14 (permalink)
    And the best part about winter trout fishing is that you CAN go to the bar the night before and feel semi-normal while fishing, because you don't have to be out real early. I usually start around 11.

Haha, I know what you mean...I was out last year one weekend where we had a good blanket of snow. Fishin at dawn...not even a bite until about 10:30, then regular action from about noon til 3, then only about 3 bites after 3. Decided 'screw gettin up early', and got fish regularly in that 11-3 stretch the rest of winter, especially on the bright, sunny days.
    jaybo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Frost and hatches 2009/10/19 14:21:00 (permalink)
    Good advice by Loomis with the stones and midges, these are generally my go to's during the winter months as far as hatches go. Zebra Midge, Emerging Midges and Griffiths Gnats are always in the rotation, #18-20 are good sizes. Early black stones in #16-20, and then early browns in the late winter/early spring.

Can't go wrong with the Caddis pupa or other nymph patterns either. I also like Princes, PT Nymphs, BHHE and Copper John's as they are good options too.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2992
    RE: Frost and hatches 2009/10/19 14:38:17 (permalink)
    All good info. And the peak hatches are over but there's still some decent midges in through November. The trouble for me is finding the rising fish. Warm afternoons (like today) is usually my best bet.
    Some creeks do hold surprise hatches. On one ANF creek, there is a smallish winter caddis hatch. They never fly off the stream. Instead, they hatch mid stream and ride it out until they hit a calm pool. Then they run across the meniscus to shore.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Frost and hatches 2009/10/19 15:08:23 (permalink)
    like loomis says, water temp. is a key to cold temp. fishing. wait untill the sun hits the stream, with the sun out the rays penetrate though the water. this in turn will warm up the fish absorbing the heat and they will respond more to feeding. i'll usualy start fishing a stream where the sun is starting to shine upon the water.
    you'll still get early morning hits b4 the sun but once the sun's out the fishing gets better.
    seen a few caddis on little sandy yesterday but no fish were rising to the few we seen.
    don't pass on the terestrials just yet. caught two brook trout yesterday afternoon on beetles and missed a couple.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: