Caddis Larva

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/10 08:40:22 (permalink)

Caddis Larva

I know there are much easier ties for the caddis larva, but I thought I'd share one I have luck with. Caught trout on the spring cricks in Carlisle to steel in Erie on this one. Seems to be a producer for me. Anyway here it is:

Materials:

1. Start the thread using the same color thread as the antron yarn you will be using. Do not clip off the tag end and leave about a 6" tag.

2. Tie in two pieces of ostrich herl.

3. Tie in a piece of antron yarn(I used cream color here) by the tips creating a loop for the dubbing twister. Make sure the loop is long enough to complete the body. 6" long should do it.

4. Using the dubbing twister, twist the antron yarn tight and wrap it forward.

5. Wrap the tag end of the thread forward by going between the antron yarn wraps. Then pull the ostrich herl forward and secure it with two or three wraps of the tag end of the thread. Do this twice and keep the herl on the sides of the body. It helps to hold the tag end of the thread with hackle pliers when doing this - better control for me at at least.

6. Tie in four strands of peacock herl on the underside of the hook shank. Also tie in a piece of Scud back material. You could use any other type of material you like to use for the case.

7. Dub the "thorax" area, pull over the scud back material and trim. When dubbing this area, I like to use the dubbing twister again, but you can dub as normal. Trim the peacock herl for the legs to a length that suits. I kind of like to keep them longer than normal for movement. When doing all of this try and be aware of crowding the hook eye. It's easy to do as you can see here. Whip finish and trim. I also like to put a dab of two part epoxy on the scud back material to give it a better look and make it more durable.

Note: Another way of creating the body is to tie in a pice of scud back at the hook bend, wrap the ostrich herl forward around the body and pull the scud back forward over the herl. Just another way of doing it.
post edited by steely34 - 2009/10/10 08:43:08

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

1 Reply Related Threads

norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Caddis Larva 2009/10/10 20:19:37 (permalink)
    Nice! I like the ostrich on the sides and the use of peacock for legs.
    Jump to: