Author
The City Fisher
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/06 21:25:21 (permalink)

New Fly Fisher- Need help

Hey guys,
I have recently bought a Redington crosswater series 8 weight fly rod. Although I plan to do some bass fishing with it, i'm mainly concerned with steelhead fishing with it.

I have been Steelhead fishing for 4 years now and have been using a noodle rod, which works well, but I've always wanted to try fly fishing and finally cracked down and bought a fly rod.

I think I'll be able to get used to fishing with the rod itself (although any tips will be appreciated!) but what I'm kind of clueless about is what flies to use.

Some guys tell me they use nothing but streamers, others say dry flies are the way to go, and some say glo-bugs, sucker spawn, and crystal meth are all you need. I guess its personal preference but I would like to have a good idea of whats gonna work.

Anybody have any suggestions? Anything is greatly appreciated...

13 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/06 21:28:39 (permalink)
    Fill one medium-large box with an assorment of eggs, nymphs, and buggers/streamers, in sizes from 6-16 and you'll be set to handle nearly any fishable situation the Erie tribs will throw at you.
    The City Fisher
    New Angler
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/06 21:46:39 (permalink)
    Thanks, any colors in particular or does it just depend on the day and how the water conditions are?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/06 21:48:17 (permalink)
    If I had to create a very general assortment of flies spefically for PA tribs it would be:

Egg patterns--#10-16 in a wide variety of colors
    Generic trout nymphs--#12-16--pheasant tails, copper johns, caddis pupae, hares ears, ect.
    Stonyfly nymphs--#8-14  golden or black
    Streamers #4-10-- Zonkers, Bunny Leeches, Slumpbusters, ect
    Buggers #8-12--variety of colors

I would suggest starting out filling your box with egg patterns, hands down they are my top producer overall.  I would then pick up just a handful of each nymphs, streamers, and buggers.  After a couple of trips you will find flies you have built confidence in, and replenish as needed.  Water conditions and time of year will dictate what flies produce well on certain days, but if you include everything above in your box you will be covered for just about anything PA has to offer.

Good luck and welcome to your soon to be newfound obsession.
    The City Fisher
    New Angler
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/06 21:52:44 (permalink)
    thanks guys saves me a ton of time searchin the internet
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/06 22:10:45 (permalink)
    No prob. Must haves:

Buggers: white, black, olive

Eggs:

Glo bugs in pale pink and peach
    Sucker spawn in cream, pale pink, hot pink, chartreuse, and orange

There's lots more you CAN carry...but I think that those are a good base that most steelheaders would agree that you shouldnt leave home without em.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/06 22:38:22 (permalink)
    I would add a simple assortment of stoneflies ranging from brown to black  12-16.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/06 23:29:31 (permalink)
    cold is 100% correct IMO.. i fish those colors all the time.. never leave home without them.. i carry any where from 4-5 boxes on me.. each 1 its only style so i never run out of flies lol.. stone flies are great producers. i only fish nymphs in "nymphy" water.. water that has a really rocky bottom for instance or fast fast near rocks.. always produces for me.. caught 11 fish on size 14 black stone flies this year.. so def DEF pick some up or tie them up.. buggers are a must.. perfect for dead drift or strip like a streamer.. i rarely use streamers but when i do i dont catch alot of fish but the fish i do are usually pigs
    The City Fisher
    New Angler
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/07 18:14:22 (permalink)
    Wow ,again thanks a ton guys, now I gotta get my mind off of steelhead fishin cause I can only get up to Erie in like 2 weeks. The wait is killin me but im sure you guys all know the feeling. See you guys up there. ~Go Stillers~
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/10 19:35:58 (permalink)
    Some other colors buggers, I've had luck with - brown, chartreuse.

Good streamer to have, especially for fresh fish, emerald shiner pattern.

One nymph nobody's mentioned - tellico.  I'm not really sure what the heck it is supposed to imitate, but I've caught lots of steelhead with it in low slow water.  Usually fish it behind a peach or cream globug.

My problem, is I've got too **** many flies. Hard to pick one
    sometimes.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/12 08:52:46 (permalink)
    One nymph nobody's mentioned - tellico. I'm not really sure what the heck it is supposed to imitate, but I've caught lots of steelhead with it in low slow water.

I've done well with a Tellico thrown to brookies with enough regularity that if I'm fishing a stream and see a few of them here and there, I'll switch to it.

Never tried em for steel, but I'd think that with the way the herl is tied in, that it'd be good for exactly one hookup, after which it'd be trashed. How do you keep them together?
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/12 09:12:26 (permalink)
    City,
    Don't limit yourself to the standard flies.  I have experianced many times that the oddball fly is the hot one when nothing else is getting a bite.

Don't get me wrong I do carry a lot of "standard" selection that is the old faithfulls but I also try to keep a small amount of the odds as well.
    post edited by 350Z&Steelheads - 2009/10/12 09:19:10

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/12 09:35:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 350Z&Steelheads

City,
    Don't limit yourself to the standard flies.  I have experianced many times that the oddball fly is the hot one when nothing else is getting a bite.

Don't get me wrong I do carry a lot of "standard" selection that is the old faithfulls but I also try to keep a small amount of the odds as well.

Agreed.

And dont trash your "mistake" flies if you're just learning a pattern for steelhead. They dont care if your egg is lopsided, or if you have crowded the eye of the hook. If you've got a blob they can see, and enough hook gap, usually that's all you need in stained/cloudy conditions. Sometimes they're just not hitting, but if they'll take a perfectly tied cream sucker spawn, they'll take a cream yarn monstrosity.
    The City Fisher
    New Angler
    RE: New Fly Fisher- Need help 2009/10/12 20:14:36 (permalink)
    ok ya I was thinking about tying some but ill probably buy most of them for now, simply because of my lack of supplies and time
    ~also (and I dont mean to sound like an idiot, but like I said Im new) what oddball flies are used for steelhead?
    Jump to: