leader to line

Author
adam2000
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/04 18:33:21 (permalink)

leader to line

i fish the dsr, usually use fly rod and reel with str8 mono, what kind of knots are you guys using to connect leader to fly line, i thinking of using a loop and putting a swivel on it, nail just doesnt seem like it will hold a big king

5 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: leader to line 2009/10/04 19:24:16 (permalink)
    Nail knot, it is super strong when tied correctly

How are you making your leader ?
    Mine is constructed with 30# Amnesia nail knot to fly line, perfection loop on other end of amnesia. To that perfection loop of 20# to amnesia then double sergon's to 14# from there I build my tippet.

I build my leaders but the most simple way is to just buy a tapered single leader and as it wears down just add tippets most taperd leader have a perfection loop so you will have to put a loop in your fly line.

Here is a list of knots:
    http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com
    post edited by hot tuna - 2009/10/04 19:32:45

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    adam2000
    New Angler
    RE: leader to line 2009/10/04 21:19:21 (permalink)
    i have the corland add a loop connectors, i was thinking of putting that on then putting a swivel on it, then just tying a 12lb leader, i fish the head of the joss so i dont need to cast, more just flip it,
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: leader to line 2009/10/04 21:21:55 (permalink)
    Adam:

for salmon fishing I keep my setup quite simple. I tie a small loop at the end of the fly line (I don't add a swivel) to that I attach my 6 foot butt section of leader 20# mono via perfection loop.

Then I add a small barrel swivel. To that I add add my tippet which consists of 4 feet of 8# or 10# test fluoro.  Both my butt section and tippet section are attached to the barrel swivel via the improved clinch knot.

Improved clinch knot to the hook also.

I never lose any part of my rig above the swivel.

If you intend to add weight, leave about 3 inches of a tag end hanging from your swivel and attach split shot to it. If you get snagged you will only lose the lead.

I see no reason for a tapered leader because there is no need to turn over a fly.

adam2000
    New Angler
    RE: leader to line 2009/10/05 09:57:44 (permalink)
    so drake you tie a loop in the fly line itself? or put one on it
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: leader to line 2009/10/05 17:23:21 (permalink)
    Adam - I tie a small perfection loop at the end of the flyline.

For salmon, I use the cheapest fly line I can buy. Straight taper fly line in the $20 price range.

I see no need for artistic casts when targeting the salmon, so I employ the KISS principle.

After a few outings, the line is badly nicked up from taking a beating on rocks and other crap in the river when them fish haul azz.

I'm not cheap, but I see no reason to toss money away on fancy line and loop connectors for wrestling mudsharks.

Good luck on the river..

Jump to: