Shot placement

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 13:54:20 (permalink)
I liked the article too and have it "over there too"...

I will say I do not think alot of this statement though..

The problem was he was waiting for a broadside shot or a quartering away shot which never presented itself. I say, “Shoot the **** thing.” In the woods things don’t always happen like they do on television. The successful whitetail deer hunter will make his shots happen. You literally have to make it happen and turn opportunities into wall mounts. If you’re the hunter that waits for the perfect shot you are gonna get much less experience and take a lot less deer. For God’s sakes, shoot, shoot, shoot.

I think this is EXACTLY what happens too much and too many times .... folks do not wait for the better shot placement...  even in rifle season some are too worried about "if I do not shoot it now the next guy will" ....
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/10/06 13:55:10
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 13:59:18 (permalink)
Agreed, Dr.; BUT

A deer inside 10 yards or right under the treestand presents an awesome kill zone which has the spine right in the middle to boot, and with average poundage and good heads the exit wound leaves a great blood trail.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
the_lip_ripper
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 20:25:34 (permalink)
I am not sure which individual(s) is responsible for taking a guys pic of an archery harvest, that he was gratious enough to share with the members of HPA and post it all over fishusa, but you need to have it removed immediately. You are completely classless and you need to take a serious look at what type of person you are. If you need to prove a point, there are millions of pics available that do not show the hunter!

'Pinnin Aint Easy' 'TR'
Mike_P
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 21:14:02 (permalink)
MR bingsbaits
I am the fella who as you say let the kid shoot the buck in the neck.
before you judge me you werent there things happen out in the woods that you cant control, but then if you spent more time in the woods hunting and less time bashing others on the internet you might learn a few things

Some guys just cant bear to see a kid with a trophy it really is kinda sad 

People like you sir give the whole hunting comunity a black eye

There is nothing anyone can say that will ever diminish that moment for me and my son
this aint catch and release once that arrow flies you cant take it back. 

go ahead and flame away WHO CARES !!!

post edited by Mike_P - 2009/10/06 21:44:09
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 21:17:48 (permalink)
Putting something on the internet makes it "fair game" for anyone to use any way they choose...
putting it on a site that allows anyone to link to it is even WORSE....

I would NEVER EVER post a photo on photobucket for that very reason...

lip ripper did not have a "classy" way of asking...  but it is asking ... to take the link down.. which I will do.. as for those that copied my post and the photo and never changed it .. that is up to them...

I'm off to take the link down...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2009/10/06 21:18:39
diablo666
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 21:35:44 (permalink)
If you could binggodbaits and drgodtrout please post the actual names of your business so I know not to go there.Also if you have the guts reveal the name you use on HPA.My name is the same on both sites.I don't care if anyone likes or dislikes me but I am quite satisfied with the buck the man harvested.He did a fine job.By the way 15 years ago I shot a buck with a compound close to 50 yards away.He didn't make it 30 yardsMy old 65# whitetail hunter bow..It was a pass through.I missed him at 3 yards and he came back.28 feet or so in the air was my stand.My dad said I was an idiot to hunt that high up.The terrain demanded it.I use a crossbow now so if you want to bash me go ahead I have thick skin.Gave both my compounds to a family nearby to see if they would like archery hunting.Turns out they do so you have more competition because of me.Lol.
diablo666
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 22:05:07 (permalink)
Does this site lack that much involvement from members that they need to find stories elsewhere?HPA is a good site and they have a fishing forum as well.Maybe you should check it out.Easy to find just type in huntingpa.com in google.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/06 23:11:50 (permalink)
I am excited that you are sharing the outdoors with your son. And I know that the memory will last forever. I just hope that you are not teaching him that neck shots are the best available with a bow.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/07 02:11:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: the_lip_ripper

I am not sure which individual(s) is responsible for taking a guys pic of an archery harvest, that he was gratious enough to share with the members of HPA and post it all over fishusa, but you need to have it removed immediately. You are completely classless and you need to take a serious look at what type of person you are. If you need to prove a point, there are millions of pics available that do not show the hunter!

One looses any control over the photo, once the photo is posted on the internet. If they didn't want it on the internet, they shouldn't have put it on there.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/07 10:16:10 (permalink)
The type shot you should take is strictly dependent on the skill level of the shooter. Skilled tournment shooters reguarly hit 4" bulls out to 70 yards. My skill level is much less than that. As for waiting for the perfect shot, I have killed two deer right after they left hunters who were waiting for that perfect moment. You take the first opportunity for a killing shot you are comfortable with. If he is 20 yds approx broadside I am not going to wait to see if he gives me a perfect 15 yds exactly broadside or quarting shot. They aren't stationary foam targets and unless you are shooting them as they graze contentedly in your clover field they act like a wild animal and do not wait for you to tell them how to present themselves..
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/07 10:54:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mike_P

I am the fella who as you say let the kid shoot the buck in the neck.

There is nothing anyone can say that will ever diminish that moment for me and my son
this aint catch and release once that arrow flies you cant take it back. 

Congrats on the great kill for you and your son!!  Awesome bud.

My rifle is a black rifle
nightowl207
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/08 18:03:46 (permalink)
first day: took compound out for the evening up in treestand, saw nothing.
tuesday: grabbed crossbow I bought for muzzeloader last year and decided on an evening on the ground. saw 7 doe within first hour. All hung out about 35-40 yrds looking at me, after 15 mins of them lurking out of my range they moved along, so I moved up a couple trees to get in range if anymore come through that trail. about 20mins later a lone doe came walking up the trail. I postioned around to be out of sight and she came in after 10mins of blundering. I got a shot off when she was about 17-18 yards away. She was facing deadbroadside to the right and I let it rip, and just as was she took a step and her front leg facing me was in a back stride. right through the front shoulder it went, out the other side, and stuck 8inches into an old stump 15yrds past the deer. Thankfully I had my crossbow in hand or that may have been a wounded deer.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/09 09:50:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: nightowl207

first day: took compound out for the evening up in treestand, saw nothing.
tuesday: grabbed crossbow I bought for muzzeloader last year and decided on an evening on the ground. saw 7 doe within first hour. All hung out about 35-40 yrds looking at me, after 15 mins of them lurking out of my range they moved along, so I moved up a couple trees to get in range if anymore come through that trail. about 20mins later a lone doe came walking up the trail. I postioned around to be out of sight and she came in after 10mins of blundering. I got a shot off when she was about 17-18 yards away. She was facing deadbroadside to the right and I let it rip, and just as was she took a step and her front leg facing me was in a back stride. right through the front shoulder it went, out the other side, and stuck 8inches into an old stump 15yrds past the deer. Thankfully I had my crossbow in hand or that may have been a wounded deer.

Huh?  Why do you say that?  What are the specifics of the bolt/broadhead/speed you are shooting?  I highly doubt the Kinetic Energy of your crossbow set-up is much different than that of a med. to high range archery set-up with full length arrows.  KE= 1/2*m*v^2.  Here is some interesting reading for you.
http://www.huntersfriend.com/products/archery/crossbows/performance.html

Your original statement may very well be accurate if you have an older, slower bow with lightweight arrows but if comparing apples to apples, med. to high end archery and high end crossbows, depending on set-up, have about the same amount of KE. 

Did you "blow" through the shoulder blades on that doe or just hit it up front, missing most of the bone structures?
nightowl207
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 567
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/10 01:22:55 (permalink)
I say that in terms of my compound. Its appox late 80s jennings 60#. Just dont have the same penetration as the crossbow (barnett wildcat, mid range). If I had a newer high end compound the result would have been similar. I use regular old 3 blade muzzys on both. I blew through the right shoulder blade and exited out about 4-5inches behind the left shoulder (4-5inches as if the leg was straight) and delunged it. ran about 40yds and went down.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/15 14:01:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I have been looking over the pics of first day kills on the crossbow forum on HPA.Here's the link.http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1364287&Main=112209#Post1364287

Maybe it's all the new guys will give them the benefit of the doubt..
You can't be shooting deer in the front shoulder.....

Of the 6 deer kills posted 3 are through a front leg..Not a high percentage shot..
There is one fella that let his kid shoot one through the neck..That is a never...He should have been flamed for letting his kid take that shot. They all congratulated him..BS...

There is 1 at 38 yards which all you crossbow backers told us would not happen...Only as effective as my bow...BS...I don't shoot doe at 38 yrds with my compound....

So for some of you fellas that might not know, just because it aims like a rifle you still have to adhere to an archery kill zone...

Keep it off those front shoulders...

Sorry to have to post it here, this post would get me a vacation over there for dissing the crossbow dudes...

Been huntin' a dandy 10 point.  Ran into a guy carrying one of those heavy crossbows.  He says he got it cause so he can shoot it further than 30 yards. (shocker)  If he wounds that buck, I may take that thing and beat him over the head with it. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/15 16:19:05 (permalink)
Are we ever going to get to the point where we don't have to specifiy what a hunter is carrying if it is archery season?

Been awhile since I saw a post about running into the guy with the Gamemaster with the see through sites that was messing up someones hunt in rifle season.

Got to watch those Mossberg 500 carrying type of folks in spring turkey too.  

Getting old guys.....First week of the season saw countless posts on many message boards about hunts being messed up for all kinds of reasons.  It seems the weapon was singled out when it was a crossbow.  Otherwise, it was just another hunter. 

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/15 17:05:24 (permalink)
Then don't read the complaints DP.
Mabee you should do like HPA and just not discuss the subject any more...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/15 17:07:26 (permalink)

If it's YOUR property and NO ONE is allowed to hunt or be there... then I can see a hunter being upset when another person enters the scene..

Other wise a hunter is on property that is not his... 

he supposedly has permission to be hunting there..
but may not be the only one with permission...

so IF another comes along --- that guy has just as much right to be there as the first guy...  most guys I have ever encountered move off and there is no problem ..........   and I have never thought they ruined my hunt no matter what happened later...  just one of those things that happens  on property open for hunting...

and to think you could have state game lands or forests to yourself is about as silly as it gets...

why is hunting getting to be all about ME... ME... ME... ???????????
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/15 17:42:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

Then don't read the complaints DP.
Mabee you should do like HPA and just not discuss the subject any more...

I don't get into it to much anymore.  Now that we have full inclusion the numbers will speak for themselves and I am fine with that. 

What has your experience been like this year as far as pressure goes?  In the areas I hunt it seems way down this year and I am hearing similar reports from around the state. 

Archery license sales numbers as of two days before the season were 30,000 behind last years total numbers.  That may explain many of the reports of lack of pressure I am hearing. 

What say you?

Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/15 18:07:26 (permalink)
Not all deer are hit perfect with a bow,crossbow,or gun.I,ve killed a pile of deer with my bow and not all where double lunged,things happen,the deer may duck,a small twig may deflect your arrow somewhat,and sometime yes it is the shooters fault,holding at full draw to long,the shakes some might get at a chance at a deer ( big buck) I,ll still say this,more deer are wounded with a rifle,than any weapon.Just go to a public range a day or two before gun season,I rest my case.
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 05:41:09 (permalink)
Was out on Sunday moving a stand and found this  and thought i seen something on the ground and sure enough it was BLOOD so decided to fallow and about a 100 yards down the hill found this in the creek Now this is private property and the WCO has seen it too. Now that is a BAD SHOT PLACEMENT it was a WAY to far quarting away. I just hope they find this guy !!!!!!!!! Went back up to the first findings and DID NOT FIND THE ARROW/BOLT   
post edited by BIGHEAD - 2009/10/16 05:43:51
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 07:51:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dpms

Are we ever going to get to the point where we don't have to specifiy what a hunter is carrying if it is archery season?

Been awhile since I saw a post about running into the guy with the Gamemaster with the see through sites that was messing up someones hunt in rifle season.

Got to watch those Mossberg 500 carrying type of folks in spring turkey too.  

Getting old guys.....First week of the season saw countless posts on many message boards about hunts being messed up for all kinds of reasons.  It seems the weapon was singled out when it was a crossbow.  Otherwise, it was just another hunter. 

All you folks saying ..see see.. nothing is happening -- are wrong.   This fella is a prime example.   This guy and his perception of what the tool can do is wrong.    And was one of my greatest fears.. here we are two weeks into the season.. I'm seeing it already.  Some of you just can't accept the reality of what the crossbow brings to the woods.   This guy thinks he can reach out and touch them with that thing.  His perception was accurate in his comments about his compound and 30 yards... crossbow perception not so. 

You are not required to read something that bothers you.  I still see you flaring comments on other sites.. about quote "bowhunters" and what not.. so maybe you should take your own advice ?  Why it is okay for you to stereotype there but me not bring an actual factual instance to the table?

I am going to comment on whatever bad behavior I see.. just like my buddy that didn't shoot his broadheads from his bow before the season.  You're very narrowminded in thinking some folks ONLY pick on crossbows.  I know you love them and will defend them to death but yer just gonna have to deal with it. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 08:29:47 (permalink)
Hows the pressure up there this year, Silver?  Way down in my parts of 2A,B.  Hearing similar reports elsewhere with a smattering of about on par with last year.

Weather has been crappy for the most part here, might have something to do with it too.

fishin coyote
  • Total Posts : 1670
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 08:40:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: BIGHEAD

Was out on Sunday moving a stand and found this  and thought i seen something on the ground and sure enough it was BLOOD so decided to fallow and about a 100 yards down the hill found this in the creek Now this is private property and the WCO has seen it too. Now that is a BAD SHOT PLACEMENT it was a WAY to far quarting away. I just hope they find this guy !!!!!!!!! Went back up to the first findings and DID NOT FIND THE ARROW/BOLT   

Fixed it for you Big
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 09:03:08 (permalink)
I would say pressure is normal on one side of the mountain and way down on the other. 

Of course, overharvest is the norm where I hunt 99% of the time.. so it's not surprising.  I've seen 3 deer, all bucks, in over 30 hours of sitting so far.   Wind has been pretty good this year.   I did some snow tracking last night.. about 15-20 sets in 30 miles of road.

See... that's what folks that say crossbows aren't going to over harvest, don't get.  THERE ALREADY WAS AND IS OVERHARVEST WITHOUT THEM.    If yinz crossbow supporters really were concerned about hunter numbers, you'd listen and recognize that low deer numbers won't keep people in the woods.  4GO ahead and yack all you want about crossbows not overharvesting.. while watching deer numbers continue to drop.   Top that off, the PGC dmapped a huge area where only a small portion of that area has alot of deer.  They do that because they need to use roads for boundaries.

It's nice and not so nice having low deer numbers..  nice because we finally have 4 year old deer running around because no one hunts the areas.  The areas that have a reasonable number of deer, the bucks rarely hit 3.5.   Not so nice in that 1 deer sighting per 10 hours is a bit boring and it's difficult to remain focused for that 15 seconds of a 150 hour archery season.

We were asked the other day to stop up and hunt an old neighbors property sometime.  Probably 40-60 deer per square mile in the area.   It's nice to have a 'meat' spot if we need it come rifle season.  The areas to the east and west of it are trophy managed and have been for about 10 years.   It'd probably be in my best interest to make a trip up there in archery season. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 09:58:21 (permalink)
More curious about the pressure in different areas of the state than debating crossbow stuff at this point. 

If license sales come up short is it the bad economy, lack of deer in some areas or both? 

SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 10:37:30 (permalink)
You should rephrased that to debating crossbow stuff HERE.   Why would you be so interested in pressure all of a sudden?   I know why... so you can go back to yer crossbow site and yack about less hunters with crossbow inclusion than in previous years and how crossbow inclusion helped hunter numbers.   And how all the bowhunters were wrong while under the protection of subjective moderation.   Sheesh... the comments are on another site too... more subjective moderation.

This bowhunter was not wrong, and it took less than two weeks to witness it.  Notice I never said anything about a crossbower taking my big buck (like you yacks had claimed why bowhunters didn't want crossbow inclusion).  But if it wounds that buck because he thinks he can shoot 50 yards, I had best not be there.

BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 10:52:45 (permalink)
Thanks coyote; just got back from a little stalking. Seen a few does and at a shoot able range but was looking for some horns. Did not spoke the does. Which I'll be right down the trail from them this evening and they hopefully won't make far past my stand. Starting to get a Little anise.

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Shot placement 2009/10/16 11:12:43 (permalink)
Actually, just asking.  If you care to not to chat because of what you feel are other motives so be it...

Participation dropping is not a good thing IMO if it is true.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: