I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!!

Author
silverman47
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2009/10/01 21:34:49 (permalink)

I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!!

I have made a reservation for next week, Tues  through Friday, but I need some advice and have some concerns.

I've been looking at the weather forcast and I am concerned the Salmon river might be blown out with this upcoming rain, I think about 100 % Sat & Sun, and 40% to Wed.  I'll be driving 400 mile one way, do you think the river will be fishable then?

I apologize for the stupid questions but I don't understand the flow charts.

The other question: 

Do I want to fish the faster water versus the slower water?

Do I want my fly or sponge ticking the bottom?

Are the riffles or heads of pools better than the pools themselves.

Are the tailouts of pools better to fish?

I am used to fishing for steelies which typically means I fish deeper slower runs.

I apoligize for all the beginner questions.  But I want to make the right choices as this trip will cost me 300.00 +

Thank You for any help!!!!! 

9 Replies Related Threads

metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/01 21:57:45 (permalink)
    No chance of it being "blown out"---750 release MAX--and I doubt we'll see even that.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    10pts
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 11:48:47 (permalink)
    I too would like to know of the current stream conditions up there are..
    Rain is forecasted   how much is expected?

Trout and Orwell   Brooks  , SSandy and the main river system   Are they muddy?     fast?  etc..   I'm coming up Sat thur Tuesday....

Thanks Guys 
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 16:41:11 (permalink)
    don't forget your pitchfork when "fishing" them small water trickles.
    10pts
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 17:11:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

don't forget your pitchfork when "fishing" them small water trickles.

I know drake  I hate fishing those too.. but the other two guys like to cut thier teeth and un kink their lines on those the first day..  nothing fishing for king with their backs out of the water.. but they is always 300 guys long those 2 runs with their 3 kings on a rope... I like the bigger deeper water at the mouths of those 2 brooks   I walk down while the other two ****around up there for awhile..  Did that my very first time up there because I didn't know better..  but now this will be my 4th year  I fly rod them and have a blast on the ones I do hook..     
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 17:38:58 (permalink)
    If they raise the water to 750 I'll be elated,but that's about all it will go up.
    Fish for the salmon pretty much like the Steel,yes you should tick the bottom.
    Use floracarbon tippet,10# maximum.I sometimes use 6#.
    The players will be in the faster water,from pocket water to fast deep runs,skip the slow deep water.
    If you're fly fishing PM me and maybe we can get together,I'll be up there then.
    silverman47
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 18:32:21 (permalink)
    The ultimate question is: How quick does the Salmon river muddy up?  Does it run clear after steady rain fall.

Here is the weather the next 7 days from weather underground for salmon river region:

Tonight 90% rain
    Saturday 30% rain
    Sunday  30%  rain
    Monday  40% rain
    Tuesday 50% rain
    Wednesday  40% rain
    Thursday     40% rain

What I am getting at does it muddy up easy.  I have never fished that region and fish mostly all the tribs in western pa, the catt which muddys up if you sneeze,  Awesome steely river if you hit it right though.

Im on the rail right now 300.00 is one weeks work for me, and it would break my poor little heart to travel 400 mile 1 way to fish mud, or white water.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 18:42:32 (permalink)
    The SR does not turn muddy like the Cat.

No worries there.

As far as the weather outlook - 30 to 40% chance of rain means nothing , it could be a drizzle if anything.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 18:47:21 (permalink)
    10pts - I was poking at ya with the pitchfork comment.

I took a walk down the Trout Brook trail a couple years ago (was planning to fish the mouth as it enters the SR).

I was amazed to see a bunch of yokels actually herding fish up again the bank and netting them. If they need the meat that bad, so be it.

The DEC could make a bundle if they watched that stream.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: I'll be coming up next week, got a place need some advice!! 2009/10/02 19:01:42 (permalink)
    really only muddies up in late winter and spring.  i fish heads of pools opposed to tails, and i fish riffles and pockets rather than large pools.  seems to be the most productive water for me. 
    Jump to: