Tying and fishing nymphs

Author
John 316
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/30 08:20:48 (permalink)

Tying and fishing nymphs

I recently started tying my own nymphs.  They look alright, but I got the thinking the other day.  Every tutorial I have incorporated wraps of lead on the hook.  Wouldn't one be better off using split shot and not weighting the hook at all? 

Ready, Fire, Aim!

19 Replies Related Threads

Mike R.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/09/30 08:24:55 (permalink)
    Thats what I do, and if I want weight I use a bead.
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/09/30 08:26:39 (permalink)
    I do not weight the nymph I always use shot
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/09/30 08:39:11 (permalink)
    Its 6 one way, and a 1/2 dozen the other.

How many times do you fish a totally weightless nymph? For me, its 5% or less of the time I fish nymphs. Appropriately, 5% or less of my nymphs are tied weightless. I find a weighted nymph much easier to cast and manage than an indicator/shot/nymph rig, so if I can avoid that, I do. Faster water requires adding shot even to a weighted nymph. For an unweighted, it'd be even more.

The soft lead also makes for a better looking body on my nymphs.

YMMV, though, of course.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/09/30 08:59:08 (permalink)
    i agree with cold! keeps the nymph deep and less chance of the added weight on the line from hanging up also. i rarely use an indicator except when steelhead fishing. i use matchstick lead on my leader for less drag on my leader, this also eliminates less snags.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/09/30 09:39:10 (permalink)
    I don't fish nymphs much (prefer soft hackle flies)
    I only weigh down large down and dirty patterns.
    The lead creates too much bulk on small bugs.
    I do use beadheads.
    Another reason I don't use lead wraps is because sometimes you need to fish shallow, like tail out sections and the weight takes it into the stream bed.
    If I use a float, I stagger micro shot like the pinners.
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/09/30 16:21:04 (permalink)
    i fish nymphs for prolly 90% of my fishing and i prefer to use lead wrap when i tie because it adds a nice thorax to the nymph body.. also it allows me to avoid using split shot or putty.. i fish my nymphs so they drag and bounce the bottom and 95% of my nymphs are tung. beadhead.. to add even more weight to them.. just my .02$
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/09/30 17:44:37 (permalink)
    Good Question! Most likely anyone who fishes nymphs has their own likes and dislikes. Personally, there is nothing I like better than to fish the riffles and fast water with a nymph. I'd much rather fish there than the pools any day. I tie them mostly unweighted except for the beadheads, but occasionally I will tie them with either a lead wrap or in the case of the Hex nymph and other stoneflies,  I tie the lead in pieces on either side of the hook which gives the body a flat profile from the side. (See the stonefly tutorial) and when I need to get the unweighted nymphs down, I add weight.  As far as weight, I've used split shot, soft twist on lead, and also the lead putty. After trying these - I personally like the micro split shot because I find it easier to adjust but that just me.  I will say that my experience with the putty didn't last long mainly because of the cost. It's nice in that it will come off when you get hung up but for me that's the only good thing about it. When it's below freezing the putty gets real hard to work. About the only time I use an indicator (which really isn't too often) is when fishing for steel because of the soft take. Other times, I use the high stick method, fish a short line and keep the fly line out of the water somewhat. Right where the leader attaches to the fly line - at that point is where I keep it just on top of the water and that is what I watch for the hesitation. Plus, this way I think it's easier to control the "lift" at the end of the drift. For me - quite often this is where the take has been. - just as the nymph is coming up off the bottom.  A longer rod helps with this. Of course if you need to cast out a ways - it may not be possible to keep the fly line out of the water so I kind of make do by still watching the leader/line transition point.

As far as tying -  if you do weight the flies, it may help to tie those in a different color thread. That way you can distinguish the weighted from the others. Believe me that in time they may be hard to tell apart. Sorry for the lengthy answer but personally I like to fish the nymph.
    post edited by steely34 - 2009/09/30 18:17:29

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Rickerd
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 11:01:09 (permalink)
    Last season I started tying 75% of my nymphs with no extra weight. (real nymphs have little weight and are at the mercy of the current) I use a tag on the line for split shot. I found this gives the nymphs more natural action. I also use a duncan loop to the fly to add action.

Now in fast water, my favorite nymph is still the copper john in a black, copper or green body. I also will use weight if the current goes deep like in Pere Marquette. There is enough current down low to keep a weighted nymph moving naturally. All of my weighted nymphs have a bead head to let me know they are weighted.

I always weight my streamers though, probably because I am actively swinging and stripping them.

best,
    Rickerd
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 14:25:34 (permalink)
    I tie and fish unweighted nymphs more than bead heads on a regular basis with excellent success.

Learning mends and casts that get your fly down faster are critical. 
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 14:30:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Rickerd

Last season I started tying 75% of my nymphs with no extra weight. (real nymphs have little weight and are at the mercy of the current) I use a tag on the line for split shot. I found this gives the nymphs more natural action. I also use a duncan loop to the fly to add action.

Now in fast water, my favorite nymph is still the copper john in a black, copper or green body. I also will use weight if the current goes deep like in Pere Marquette. There is enough current down low to keep a weighted nymph moving naturally. All of my weighted nymphs have a bead head to let me know they are weighted.

I always weight my streamers though, probably because I am actively swinging and stripping them.

best,
    Rickerd

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 14:42:40 (permalink)
    I rarely weight my nymphs other than using a beadhead. There are a few reasons.

The biggest reason is that you should be changing the amount of weight you're using each time you change spots. No two spots are exactly the same, and you have to adjust the amount of weight accordingly. You can do this by adding or removing shot from your leader, however, you can't adjust the weight on a fly while your fishing.

Another reason I don't use weight is it often makes nymphs too bulky, especially in smaller nymphs like a baetis.

The other reason is I often use nymphs fished in the surface film during a hatch. Trout often key in on the emerging nymphs before the dun starts to crawl out. You can't keep a weighted nymph in the surface film.

DHise
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 18:24:20 (permalink)
    A combination of beads or cones and split shot; usually dont put lead on the shank.
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 21:51:21 (permalink)
    Do you think that weighing the shank of a nymph changes the action during a drift, either in favor for, or against enticing more strikes? 

Confusion will be my epitaph, as I walk a cracked and broken path.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 22:03:55 (permalink)
    IMO a bead would be enough weight, I think wrapping lead would give a drifting nymph a less natural look....but who knows...

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 22:55:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippy-toe

IMO a bead would be enough weight, I think wrapping lead would give a drifting nymph a less natural look....but who knows...

Thats what I was thinking, but I was also wondering if the extra weight gets the nymph to the bottom faster and keeps it in the strike zone longer.

Confusion will be my epitaph, as I walk a cracked and broken path.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/14 23:36:35 (permalink)
    Not sure why adding weight to the shank of a nymph would make the nymph look any less natural. If anything it may make it look more natural compared to a beadhead, which can have a tendency to drift bead down. I would consider that a non-issue.

I tie weight into some of my flies, I prefer to limit my shot on the leader. I don't bother tying weight into any flies smaller than a #14, I will use a bead if I want extra weight on the little guys. I keep the weighted flies seperate from my non-weighted flies generally, they both have a time and a place. In heavy flows I like to use the weighted (bead+lead) flies exclusively, they help cut back on shot significantly. IMO the less extra weight on the leader, the better drift you will achieve. You lose feel and control when you have a gob of lead all over you leader, I prefer to keep direct contact to my flies as much as possible.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2009/10/14 23:37:07
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/15 07:23:16 (permalink)
    on unweighted flys just slide a bead on the tippet before tying on
    tungsten bead will drop it deeper and you can remove the bead when you want

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Rickerd
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/15 11:12:21 (permalink)
    Loomis,
    I'm not sure what to make of your quote of my post?
    It looks like someone has a nail driven into their skull.

Are you trying to say something?

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tying and fishing nymphs 2009/10/15 11:22:57 (permalink)
    yes, that you hit the "nail on the head" with completely correct information.

Excellent post.
    Jump to: