6X ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
RE: 6X ? 2009/09/29 23:37:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: anadromous

Exactly...whatever it takes. If I can get the job done with 3x then on it goes. If it warrants 5x..so be it. When the fish are really on it doesn't make much difference. When they have lock jaw lighter line adds an element of confidence in the rig and confidence is a major factor in any rig.

confidence catches more fish than any one lure or fly out there. add experience and you usualy won't be wasting your time.

as far as nymph fishing goes, i've seen anadromous in action, he reads the water and fishes with confedence and doesn't come up empty!! it was a joy watching him dissect the stream, rig up and go to the task at hand!

gees, i never had the contents of my van compared to wal-mart. 
and ya, there's usualy always a beer or two and a cigar for the drive home.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: 6X ? 2009/09/30 05:07:06 (permalink)
DT, If you would start wearing a turban instead of a Fedora, your van could be a Qwikee mart.

Fishmonger
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: 6X ? 2009/09/30 10:33:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: anadromous

I am not sure what you mean by crutch here. Sometimes when using a 16 or 18 it is much harder to get a fly down. I agree for the most part but what about midging with a 7x tippet for a 20 inch brown and a 26 midge?? Injustice or necessary??Drag happens underneath the surface as well as on top and a thin diameter line lessens the problem drastically. A thin  diameter gets the fly down quicker and it drifts unimpeded for a finesse approach. Of course proper mending is still involved and some of the other nuances that promote a better drift presentation need to be implemented but I can't see it as a crutch. So many companies are coming out with very high test strength to diameter which truly allows for the best of both worlds. Of course more attention needs paid to the abrasion and knot tying but the trade off is more control. It is no problem to go to a 4x(7lb) Grand max to up your presentation, decrease amount of lead(weight), and true up your drift speed all the while respecting the fish and your fellow anglers. Not that long ago 4lb test was the same diameter as todays 7 and 8lb so an adjustment in thinking needs to be done here. If I can get away with 9.2 lb tippet while running nymphs I use it but invariably I tend to go smaller if the bite is slower and wether it is more confidence, better drift presentation or as you a "crutch" it seems to up the odds. Its called finess fishing. I catch smallmouth using 15lb mono and creatue baits and on other days it take a 6lb f-carcon and a drop shot to do it...but you are right...2lb test and a crowd of anglers is not a good combo but certainly light line is not a crutch for the seasoned angler. 
ORIGINAL: strandman220

3X. Is my limit. They are not, as mostly read, leader shy. They are bad presention shy. So many go to lighter tippets as a crutch. I want to hook them and land them. With the least interuption to my fellow fisherman. To go light with your tippet is an in justice to the fish, and your fellow fisherman.

Anadromous,

Bingo!!!

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
troutslammer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: 6X ? 2009/09/30 21:47:26 (permalink)
more dry flies in that van than 4 orvis shops too !!!! hey fellas how do you think jerry catches all those trout , he fishes in the rain and just keeps changing clothes every 2 hrs and keeps on trucking !!!
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: 6X ? 2009/09/30 21:52:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: troutslammer

more dry flies in that van than 4 orvis shops too !!!! hey fellas how do you think jerry catches all those trout , he fishes in the rain and just keeps changing clothes every 2 hrs and keeps on trucking !!!

you lernt about me fichen in the rain sunday didncha? long as i am catchen fich on dries it got to be lightning before getting me outta the water. fish on ~dt 
byahn32
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 139
RE: 6X ? 2009/09/30 22:01:37 (permalink)
any1 ever catch a steelhead on a dry.. ive always wanted to try it just didnt know what kinda dry to throw at them.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: