Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III

Author
John 316
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/24 22:00:42 (permalink)

Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III

Would this 5-7wt reel work on NY kings or just better suited to Steelhead.  thanks

Ready, Fire, Aim!

22 Replies Related Threads

mote1977
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/24 22:03:13 (permalink)
    I've used mine for kings and it did just fine.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/24 22:04:40 (permalink)
    What weight line are you planning to use?
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/24 22:11:08 (permalink)
    7 or 8

Ready, Fire, Aim!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/24 22:18:08 (permalink)
    I have a friend who has the same reel with a 7wt, using #30 dacron he was only able to get around 40-50 yards of backing on it.  That is borderline adequate for salmon IMO, but I know I would sure hate to watch $50 worth of line swimming down the river. 

I would suggest if you are going to be fishing for salmon with it to get a smaller diameter gel-spun backing.  Other than the limited backing capacity I have always heard great things about these reels.  I just bought an Orvis Mach for this season, first Orvis reel I have ever owned.  I haven't got it try it out yet, but it seems to be very high quality and has an awesome drag.
    mrkeith
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/24 22:28:39 (permalink)
    Use it! I have the same reel and it works fine on the Salmon River and all around for kings.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 07:54:53 (permalink)
    Use a good knot like an albright to join the backing to the line.
    Break em off before you get too deep in the backing.
    I've been spooled more than once on early, fresh kings.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 09:08:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Use a good knot like an albright to join the backing to the line.
    Break em off before you get too deep in the backing.
    I've been spooled more than once on early, fresh kings.

No doubt about it....u need a good piece to put the brakes on....I'd prefer not to do battle with this particular reel, but to each his own.
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 09:36:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input, fellows!  Just want to feel everything out, and not miss anything.  What of the cork drag systems?  I've never owned one with this feature, and have been told that they are very easy to mess up if you don't release the drag after each use. 

Ready, Fire, Aim!
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 10:21:38 (permalink)
    Cork drags are good, they just require some maintainence.... lube a cork drag with the same oil that you would use on a baseball glove - some NON-petroleum based stuff - I want to say NEAT oil but I'm not sure I'd have to look it up. It only has to be done once a year or so.

Not sure if cork is better or not but the two most reliable big game reels Tibor and Abel use cork and guys that are into tuna swear by them. Many guys have had these reels for decades and they look and perform like new. The newer styles of drag may be this good - but for the most part they haven't been around long enough to claim this longevity. I suspect like anything there is a big difference in the quality of the cork company to company.

The sealed drags are kind of a mixed blessing...if they are truly sealed they are great - but more often than not they will allow some water in. No problem for freshwater - but with saltwater this is the kiss of death since the sealed drag will not allow the salt to be rinsed and will eat the drag.  I have a Hayden I use for the rare salt trip, it really doesn't see too much water, but it has an excellent cork drag.....
    post edited by Loomis - 2009/09/25 10:26:28
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 14:10:42 (permalink)
    it is called neats foot oil

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 15:20:41 (permalink)
    I know there are alot of guys out there that have the mid or large arbor reels from Orvis and love them but I didn't have much luck with the one I had. It was a Mid Arbor that the drag would free wheel or be non existant no matter how tight I would adjust the knob. This would only happen in very cold weather. The first one I had, this happened on Elk a few years ago. Returned it with no problems from Orvis, then had the same thing happen again the following year. Orvis had told me that they had cases of water getting into the center pin, freezing and making the drag useless. Maybe it was just the ones I had but I ended up going with the Hardy Demon.($$$) So far no problem and it has been fished in lots of cold and freezing weather. I looked at the cork drags but there again I was afraid of the freezing on the cork but I guess the oil would help prevent this.  I would imagine that no reel would survive the freezing if it was dunked but with the Mid Arbor this never happened. It was just from cold freezing rain and the "wetness that comes from normal fishin. Anyone else have this problem with not only the Orvis but with any other reel they have?

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 15:49:16 (permalink)
    I have been lucky, I have an orvis large arbor for steelhead and it has held up so far 2yrs. However when the temps drop and the creeks get some ice I switch over to a cheper setup (don't like to use my expensive rod in ice). On my 2nd setup I have a cabelas SLA and I have had that thing frozen solid and it still worked good (it has a teflon/cork drag).
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 17:06:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: vinestbrew

I have been lucky, I have an orvis large arbor for steelhead and it has held up so far 2yrs. However when the temps drop and the creeks get some ice I switch over to a cheper setup (don't like to use my expensive rod in ice). On my 2nd setup I have a cabelas SLA and I have had that thing frozen solid and it still worked good (it has a teflon/cork drag).

haha great minds must think alike...I do the same thing...that SLA is JUNK though, so if it freezes and doesn't run again you don't feel bad to toss it lol.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/25 20:10:49 (permalink)
    How does the Redington CDL LA Titanium compare to the Orvis BLA III? Above
     comment says the Orvis has minimum backing capabilities. Looking for some input before I purchase a LA reel for steelhead.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/26 15:21:22 (permalink)
    I'm not sure about that reel not familiar with it. The Battenkill does seem to have less backing room than my other reels the similiar size, if it's only for steelhead I have never came close to my backing. That cabelas SLA has received bad reviews but I must have gotten a good one because I have really abused it
    (2yrs) and is still smooth, except I just broke the spool nut on it. If you are considering a battenkill I found some good prices on used ones pm me.

DON"T DRINK THE WATER FISH HAVE SEX IN IT
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/26 17:37:05 (permalink)
    if a steelhead spools you , you have severe problems . the tribs in my opinion aren't big enough to spool any real , large , mid or whatever arbor .
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/26 19:50:46 (permalink)
    Severe problem???? It's a fun problem to have.
    I've been into my backing more than a few times on steel this year. All while fishing the beach. It takes a big hot tempered fish to do it.
    I had one very large fish head to Canada and almost cleaned the spool. I gave the reel 2 more clicks on the drag and it broke the 8 lb line.
    It does happen to me mostly in the lake and larger non-Erie tribs. I'm fishing big stuff to target the big aggressive fish.
    Heck, In years past, I've had hot fresh chromers in prime flows at a few smaller tribs make a bee line downstream and peel off over 90 ft. before I could get it to rest while I caught up.
    Granted, it doesnt happen a lot on the tribs but once in awhile you tie into a real drag burner.  
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/26 20:01:32 (permalink)
    I'll second that one Dano. Granted it doesn't happen often but when it does it's a good thing. Quite a few times I've had 'em take me into the backing. Never really fished the beaches but when it happen to me they went from the tailout right into the fast water and away they went. Seen it happen to others too. Creates a good memory doesn't it.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/26 20:04:48 (permalink)
    Vinestbrew,
    I looked at the Pate A/R this year. Nice, especially the A/R for kings. But I needed a reel that could be spooled with a 7 and a 9 for kings. The next size up seemed too wide, especially for the 7 which was my primary line.
    I settled on a Ross Momentum. So far the Carbon fiber drag has been flawless.
    A  used Ross BG4 would be a good choice.  
    That Pate on eBay would be a steal if the price holds up.  
    For Erie, the Orvis LA is a nice adequate reel for the money. Orvis has a very good reel service dept., 
    post edited by dano - 2009/09/26 20:08:34
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/27 10:32:56 (permalink)
    I love the momentum and the vexis very nice

DON"T DRINK THE WATER FISH HAVE SEX IN IT
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor III 2009/09/28 01:49:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutslammer

if a steelhead spools you , you have severe problems . the tribs in my opinion aren't big enough to spool any real , large , mid or whatever arbor .

The guy said he was considering using the reel for salmon, a hot salmon can get you deep into your backing in a hurry!!  I am assuming he plans to fish NY for steel also, where there is a good bit of larger water with plenty of room for an angry steelhead to make you see your backing.  If your reel can only hold a small amount of backing on your reel you might just find out how fast you can lose $50-60 worth of line.  Probably not going to happen, but I personally like to know I have enough backing on my reel to ensure it won't happen to me.

vinest- You my friend, are very lucky with your SLA.  I returned 4 of them over a span of 2 years.  I was only fishing them for trout, I never had a fish "burnin" any drag from me.  With the first 3, the drag just locked solid on them after limited use, the last one starting grinding when stripping line off of it after 2 uses.  I went back and got cash for it after that.  Never again will I buy one of Cabelas's reels.
    Jump to: