Catchabigone
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 509
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/11 21:46:19 (permalink)

power ice auger

ok guys
I need some opinions on your choices of power ice augers
right now i'm looking at a Jiffy 2HP Stealth STX any suggestions ?

thanks for any help.

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
Ted Nugent

9 Replies Related Threads

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/12 08:37:20 (permalink)
    where are you fishing.. in my opinion unless your punching through 24" of ice you dont need a power auger.. no where in erie will you encounter that kinda of ice thickness.. let alone maybe 1 or 2 places in all of PA.. unless you go to upstate newyork or michigan you dont really need a power auger.. if you want 1 due to your age or health.. bring the grandkids out ..thats what my grandpa used me for lol..

but honestly i dont think a power auger is even useful.. lot of extra weight and $$$
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/12 09:32:58 (permalink)
    The guy didn't ask why you thought he did not need one. He ask what kind people recommend. I havent iced fished in a couple of years but in my area during a cold winter you would easily get 18 to 20 inches or more.
    Indiana Lou
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/13 14:41:23 (permalink)
    Catcha... I've been using my friends Jiffy 2hp Stealth STX for the last three years. I actually use it more than he does. We've never had any problems with it. As to one of the earlier post, whether you need one or not is up to you. It all depends on the style of fishing you do. If you go out and drill five holes for tip-ups through 7-9" of ice and sit down for an hour you probably don't need one. But if you are popping 20-30 holes and running and gunning all over the lake, that's a different story. Especially if you do have a good ice depth 10-15". Lou
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/14 07:11:45 (permalink)
    I've had to punch through 20" of ice here in NW PA..
    Bull Dam, Findley Lake, Chautauqua, If the ice forms early enough and stays it can push 20" by the end of the season..

I have never owned a hand auger, way too much work..

I use a Strikemaster, some days we will run and gun and punch a couple hundred holes, once getting ready for the Canadohta Derby I predrilled over 200 holes for the next days fishing..Can't do that by hand...

If you are just going to fish PI and only want to drill 2 holes for the day then a good hand auger should suffice...
    I just have to side with Tim the Toolman.."MORE POWER"....

Biggest hassle for a power auger is hauling it out, you need a good sled..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/14 20:43:37 (permalink)
    it's not that I want one, I've used a hand auger for 30 years, in fact when I first started ice fishing my grandfather and I used a spud bar. I'm looking for a power auger because of shoulder surgury and arthritis in the hands.It's more of a necessity than a want I really don't want to spend $300-$400 or more but in order to keep fishing and I do like to move around I have to buy one this year. thank you very much for all the information.

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/14 21:03:21 (permalink)
    I see FishUSA has a StrikeMaster Magnum Power Ice Auger for sale I'm going to support our local
    tackle shop.
    http://www.fishusa.com/StrikeMaster-Magnum-Power-Ice-Augers_p.html

Ted Nugent

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/16 10:51:20 (permalink)
    I also have some shoulder, elbow and arthritis in the hands. I picked up The Ice Master II Ice Auger/Power Drill Conversion Kit. You use it with a regular rechargeable hand drill and your hand auger. I was cutting 10 to 12 6 inch holes through 20 inches of ice on Lake George with 2 batteries. If the ice is thinner you can get a lot more. It is a cheap way out, here is the site...http://www.icemasteradapter.com/ I bought mine through Fishusa.com but I don't see them listed yet.

Tight Lines Mates...Cheers
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/09/16 10:53:13

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/16 12:09:39 (permalink)
    It boils down to how much money you want to spend...I've used most of the power augers out there at one time or another and this is how I rank them

1. Nils master - cuts the fastest, is the lightest, but a bit fragile, and the most expensive
    2. StrikeMaster Lazer Mag - cuts very fast, not as light, resiliant, cheaper price
    3. Jiffy Legend/STX - cuts OK, very heavy, heavily built, strong, will last a lifetime.
    4. Eskimo Shark/Mako - cuts OK, heavy, avg build

Me, I own a Nils master.

If I was to go out and buy a new auger right now, I would go with a the strikemaster lazer mag.

Jiffies are the classic, heavy design - will last a lifetime, but the weight wears on your back REALLY quick, esp. when drilling lots of holes like I do.
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: power ice auger 2009/09/18 06:11:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: byahn32

where are you fishing.. in my opinion unless your punching through 24" of ice you dont need a power auger.. no where in erie will you encounter that kinda of ice thickness.. let alone maybe 1 or 2 places in all of PA.. unless you go to upstate newyork or michigan you dont really need a power auger.. if you want 1 due to your age or health.. bring the grandkids out ..thats what my grandpa used me for lol..

In-Fisherman had a show several years back and basically said if you weren't catching them to move and drill lots of holes, until you find them! Drilling 50 -100 holes could get awful tiring with a hand drill!
    but honestly i dont think a power auger is even useful.. lot of extra weight and $$$

Jump to: