Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk

Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/02 14:43:23 (permalink)

Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk

The big man and I launched at about 5:30 am, and it was in the upper 40's. We had quite a chilly ride to our 1st spot, and started out the day with a few tangles and curses.  Spending the bulk of the day here next to the weeds was a little less productive than last week, but we still managed a few smallies, largies, and a crappie. Making our way back, we stopped at 2 more holes where we got a perch, walleye, and a few more smallies. Nothing big to brag about today, but a 5 day species can put a smile on anyone's face.

I do have some pics, but having trouble uploading on photobucket. Anyone else having this same problem? I click the upload images icon, but the screen just blinks and resets.

Thanks for coming out today Barry.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

16 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 15:42:24 (permalink)
    managed a few smallies, largies, and a crappie. Making our way back, we stopped at 2 more holes where we got a perch, walleye, and a few more smallies. Nothing big to brag about today, but a 5 day species can put a smile on anyone's face.

WTG men !!

Multi-species indeed , sweet ! 

BB
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 15:47:06 (permalink)
    Sweet morning to be out there...  First 'feel' of autumn lately, no doubt!

One of these days you are bound to run into a monster Pike or Tiger in there... 

Nice work, Gents!!!!  

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 18:42:58 (permalink)
    Multi-species seems to be the way to go lately.  Good job. 

I am loving the cool weather.  For now at least. 

Showing up is 88% of life!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 18:54:50 (permalink)
    HSL thanks very much for the seat brother. A great guy to fish and shoot the bull with.  He also was nice enough not to mention that almost all of those fish were caught by him!  It was great looking water, but my jigs  frogs and senkos weren't working their usual magic.  Nice spot to launch at Al-Cathys in Wfd. ,  only one other boat there.
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 22:04:38 (permalink)
    Yea i have problem sometimes too Hook- if i use the picure icon I and link photot bucket its ok. but if i use the click here upload i have to load it then delete then upload a second time before it works.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 22:25:54 (permalink)
    Now I am so curious that I gotta' try it too... 

Yep, it works...  Do you use the little photo image on FishUSA and then enable the attachments?

If you plug the Photobucket http: (direct link) code in the highlighted box it works sweet...  I think there are a few different ways to post photos- but that is just the way ReelForce told me once.

For the record: that's a Rondout Reservoir brown from my days living in Claryville.  Seaforellen brown...

They taste about the same as those Old Milwaukees in the background...  Like ****...
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 22:42:40 (permalink)
    Salad tonight Jimmy ? 
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/02 23:05:29 (permalink)
    I've been living off Doritos, pasta salad and eggs for the past four days...

That Bacon/Cheddar pasta salad was no joke...  Finished it all off already... 

Sorry to highjack your thread Hook! 
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/03 07:31:54 (permalink)
    Cool Hook/Yank!!! I had the same thing happen to me on bucket, I send them an PM thay fixed it!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/03 13:28:50 (permalink)
    Ok, for some reason it's all of a sudden working. Just a few of the fish caught.

1st one is always a doosy.

And a couple of the fish I took today on a different stretch.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/03 13:46:09 (permalink)
    Good Lawd!  What a perch!

It sure looks like you have beefed up the size of your average Smallies...  That's a beauty!

They seem to be extra-mean in the Mohawk for some reason.  Did he fight like a tank?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/03 13:48:56 (permalink)
    I've never caught a Yellow Perch that size in the Mohawk, but I sure as heck know that stretch you were fishing!

If you keep on working your way upriver like this, we're going to start seeing reports from Amsterdam or Utica!

(P.S.  It's that water tower in the background that gives it away for me...  NISKAYUNA, Baby!)

Awesome Hook!  It looks like you're having a really good season and the best is yet to come!
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/03 14:20:54 (permalink)
    Yeah Jimmy, the smallies are especially feisty this season. And I've tried my best not to brag about that perch, but I can't help myself. I swore it was a heavy walleye as I was bringing her in.

We'll have to hook up after I get back from Colorado. I'll be back Sept. 13th. Can't wait to get my Rocky Mt. high on.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/03 14:47:03 (permalink)
    Oh man, I am SO jealous!

The Snake River inlet into Lake Dillon gave up two decent rainbows while I was out there last month.

But the real hotspot was the inlet of the Ten Mile Creek in Frisco.  You can park right at the old Summit Medical Center (the hospital is closed now) and walk the bike path a short distance to some NICE water.  It looks a lot different than it did in the 'old days' due to more development, as well as the constant removal of a few hundred thousand pines infested with the Mountain Pine Beetle.  It's pretty devastating, man...

One last Summit County tidbit-

The old Blue River Campground (US Forest Service) just down Route 9 from Silverthorne is closed too, but you can park and walk right in there.  From the sounds of things, the whole Blue hasn't been fished much at all this year because of the record flows this summer.  But I bet you will time it perfect!

You don't need to fly fish there, you can cast a Panther Martin or other small spinner as long as you snip off a few of the hooks on the treble.  They electroshocked a TWENTY SIX POUND rainbow right below the dam this spring!  Thos trout sure as heck fatten up on those Mysis Shrimp pouring out the 'glory hole' from Lake Dillon.

I am so envious you are getting to fish that stuff in September!   No crowds, and huge fish!

Call me anytime you are out there if you need any suggestions, but I know you lived there too- you probably have plenty of ideas as well.  For the record- don't rule out a stop at the pond at "Officers Gulch" on I-70 between Frisco and Copper.  That lake is AWESOME and your family would enjoy the scenery in Ten Mile Canyon.

Toss on some Powerbait like my niece did you and you will wear yourself out on 'bows, cutthroats and brookies!

Can't wait for a full report, man!   You are *SO* lucky!!!!
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/03 15:40:24 (permalink)
    Nice fish and great pics guys! That smallie is a bruiser. What did the walleye come on?
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Yank and Hook hit the 'hawk 2009/09/04 20:14:32 (permalink)
    Hey Lance,
      The 'eye came on a small white mister twister. We gotta get out there together sometime also. Do you know anything towards Amsterdam? I think we talked about it.

Jimmy, honestly, I don't think I'll be getting any fishing done while out there. Plans have radically changed. I have seen those monster rainbows in the Blue. Couldn't believe the size of them being in a little river like that. I'll mostly be up to no good with my old high school buddies. Maybe even a trek to Vegas baby!!!

Jump to: