2009/08/25 09:31:23 (permalink)

Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake

Fished from 545pm to dark
Was blasting casts with Beulah 4/5 Switch Rod  --  not enough water
hooked 3 fish  --  lost them all
water was cloudy and moving  --  water being released from Lake
lots of bugs on the water with a few risers
once it started getting dark--- people were everywhere

I was swinging clousers and swimming Hex Nymphs.......usually I do well in this area for smallies and panfish.......

Some sort of construction going on below the BIG ROCK.......not sure what though

A little info on fishing Maiden Creek: 
Makes for a good start point for a Canoe trip --  beautiful scenic paddle before it runs into Schuylkill River---the fishing is pretty good too....you can take out at Cross Keys Bridge or make it a full day trip and take out at PFBC access area --  Eplers---Eplers is just upstream of the recently removed Felix Dam in Muhlenburg Twp.
Fishing is fun with plenty of smallmouths, chain pickerel, musky, carp and catfish......tons of panfish too....

Maiden Creek itself has all kinds of fish in it.......yellow perch, white perch, all kinds of panfish....smallies --  some giant ones too......largemouth bass, musky, catfish, carp.....it is a nice place........

It is also covered with litter......seems nobody cares to Patrol this creek...which is a shame.....it is a pigsty........they finally put Danger Dam signs at Blue Falls........

www.2bonthewater.com

7 Replies Related Threads

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake 2009/08/25 19:32:45 (permalink)
    NOPE.........the fish and boat commission needs to do its job......or the game commission......their property.....the usual suspects continually dump trash and whatever else they feel they don't need any longer.......nothing like pulling into a parking lot and seeing ice tea jugs, socks, the list goes on.......I usually pick stuff up and dump on the trash cans......but, it is ridiculous.......I'm all for doing my part........we used to get a bunch of good littering cases there every year.....

you can only bang your head against the wall so many times before you give up........I am tired of asking folks to pick-up after themselves....still do--but it is a waste of my breath........prior I could write tickets and force folks to clean up.....not my job anymore

www.2bonthewater.com
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake 2009/08/26 11:43:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the post 2B, I moved out to this area at the beginning of summer.  Since moving I have fished Gifford, Lake Redman, Yellow Breeches, Condoguiet, and the river right around city island.  Will be checking out Ontelaunee Lake area and surrounding creeks.  The one guy on here (Pxatim), is my bud and we are heading out tomorrow....He is gonna give me a crash course in fly fishing.  I fish quite a bit but have never picked up a fly rod, got a rig set up and going to start my learing process tomorrow.

PS - Agreed on the litter, it seems like anywere that is not a state park gets destroyed.  Thats part of our $30 fishing license at work.  I was fishing one time on a creek for carp, and drinking a few beers.  Went to leave and while walking down the path a game officer comes strolling down.  Acts real friendly, asking about what i caught, then the real reason he wanted to talk to me.  Says he saw me throw a beer can down and not pick it up, even tho I was carrying a bag of trash including cans and stuff i picked up that wasnt even mine.  He proceded to take me back to where i was fishing and kicking all thru the weeds with his flashlight out looking for a can.  Finally he says that i must have picked it up, then checks my license.  I appreciate the concern, but he was clearly looking to write a ticket.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake 2009/08/27 20:10:05 (permalink)
    well...I am the RETIRED Fish Warden for Eastern Berks County and Northern Montgomery County........I'd like to know where you were fishing......then I would know who the officer was.....

The Ontelaunee area was a mess when I got out here........after about a year and a few citations....it was nice looking......I have been retired since June 2008 and got hurt March 2007......the guys are stretched thin.......but, you can see the differance clear as day......

I've had a few cases where you thought you were going to get a littering pinch.........but in the end, the folks picked up all their trash.......just walked up to them and thanked them for cleaning up........I'm sure I ticked off a few people in my 6 + years.....but all was warranted..........you either break the law or you don't......there is no inbetween......either it is.......or it isn't..........cause if you can't say for 100 percent that someone broke the law.......you have to walk away.....there is no guessing.......that is how you get into trouble.......

In any event, if you need any info on Berks County or Montgomery County, give me a shout......use my website....I check there a few times daily.........always happy to share information.......plenty of nice waters in the area to fish.....good luck with the fly fishing........
    Vinny
    www.2Bonthewater.com

www.2bonthewater.com
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    RE: Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake 2009/08/28 11:00:07 (permalink)
    This was on the river in Curwensville, around Clearfield PA area.  He also told us that he had been watching us thru his binoc's for a while.  He was a gentlman in his 50's maybe.  I agree he was looking in the right area because there was a lot of litter there.  It seemed like he had the attitude that he spent so much time watching us, and it didnt pay off so he was gonna try to write us up for anything....but anyways.

Thanks Vinny, will check out your site and give you a shout if i have any ?'s.  BTW 2 few very small smallmouth (like 7 inches) on the first outting with the flyrod, but nice to atleast catch something..
    - Dietz
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake 2009/08/28 13:57:36 (permalink)
    Awesome catching the smallies on the fly rod........where were you guys fishing??  Maiden Creek??  It has some hogs in it......I was on a canoe trip with a friend of mine and he hooked something large.....but didn't move...I looked at him and go...SNAG.......then all of a sudden the biggest smallmouth Bass I have seen in Berks County came jumping up out of the water right next to the canoe.......IT WAS A MONSTER......the fish threw the stickbait and we both sat there just staring into space, not really believing what had just happened..........

a guy in his 50's.......sounds like it could have been a deputy......who knows.....

I'll take a 7-inch smallie anyday.........there is no quitting in a smallmouth--no matter what the size!!!

www.2bonthewater.com
    dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    RE: Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake 2009/08/28 16:25:29 (permalink)
    We hit the Conodiguinet in Carlisle, below the dam.  There was some nice water, but didnt seem to be a large number of fish.  My friend who is more experienced with the fly got one nicer smallie, a small largemouth, and a few fall fish.  I have a kayak and would love to go on a float, but nobody to get the kayak back to the car with. Mostly been using it on lakes so i dont have to fight current to get back.  I did paddle up river a few hundred yards and fish as i float back down with some success, but also a lot of work!

With the exception of a large cat or a muskie there is no other fish i would rather catch in the river!  It is prob. a good thing that the first couple were small, because i went into autopilot and actually started to crank the handle on the fly reel for the first one...

That sounds awesome!  Man, isn't that fishing, all those hooks in a stickbait and not one got him!   Hoping to atleast go check out the Ontelaunee/Maiden Creek area this weekend, even if the rain hinders fishing.  While I have you and your knowledge available....What fly pattern(s) do you like for around here (mostly interested in smallies)?  I caught both on a wooly bugger last night, and my friend got his smallmouth on a clouser crayfish.  Also what size?  I know it is probably a lot of personal preference, I was using size 8 and they seemed to be a good size. 
    Thanks
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Maiden Creek / Below Ontelaunee Lake 2009/08/28 21:12:34 (permalink)
    Fly size is personal choice.......clousers in 4, 6, 8
    buggers in 6, 8, 10
    SCULPINS --   size 8, 6, 4
    Crayfish   10, 8, 6
    HEX nymphs or swimming Hex nymphs size 8 or 6

colors are whatever......some days natural is better  --  olive hues  brown hues
    other days chartreuse / white is the ticket

An ALL WHITE bugger or leech pattern does work wonders.........

the best days on Maiden Creek have been with the spinning rod  --  fishing a super fluke jr in white / silver  I caught over 20 smallmouths one day......12 were 12 inches or longer........lost a pickerel.......and there are some HUGE muskies in Maiden.......a couple, but they are in there........I saw one once while on patrol....I was walking along the bank and saw a huge red V in the water.......it was easily over 40 inches........I spooked up a mother duck with ducklings.......I was hoping one was going to get eaten.......didn't happen........but a big fish nonetheless.......lots of carp and catfish........especially when the water is up.......in the fall a few walleyes run up the creek from the schuylkill river.........I have even seen pictures of TROUT that were caught at the Blue Falls Dam
    post edited by 2Bonthewater - 2009/09/03 11:40:49

www.2bonthewater.com
    Jump to: