Author
yuki
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/24 05:07:47 (permalink)

What type of spinning rod for salmon?

Greetings,

I am going to try to catch a king or two this year for the first time. I was wondering what type of spinning rod I should go for.

I typically fish for trib steelhead with a noodle rod and 4-6 lb test, but that obviously won't be enough in this case.

Is a 7 foot medium action rod okay? How about a 8.5 or 9 ft medium action? Which is better (or should I go for something completely different)?

I am planning on spooling up with 14 lb test.

Thanks a lot for your help.

post edited by yuki - 2009/08/24 05:33:26

13 Replies Related Threads

htr4fsng
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/24 12:02:17 (permalink)
    well yuki, i use a 9ft ugly stick w/15lb. and i have an 8ft. rod for a back up just in case,i also have a 9ft fly rod w/14lb on it and it is a blast. i prefer a longer rod , as you will see most people are using long rods, noodle rod would be fun w/10lb but you will be in for a fight so hang on.but in any case longer is the way i would go.             fish on!!!!!!!!! 
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/24 16:22:43 (permalink)
    Those numbers are what I use also don't be afraid to go lighter on the line,( 10-12 Pound) for salmon that have seen alot of the 30 pound rope that the shark hunters use. Also the lighter line requires less weight to get it down for those fish that are spooked by a big ol' splash of 1/2 pound of sinkers. Good Luck

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/25 16:01:37 (permalink)
    Yuki,longer is better on the rod,quality reel with a good smooth drag is very important,10# main line is heavy enough,then a barrel swivel,three ft of 6-8# flora tippet,egg hook,Jensen eggs in blue,green,natural or red,just enough weight to tick the bottom on the drift.Do that and you'll catch a Salmon or two:)
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/25 16:45:07 (permalink)
    9-1/2ft. Ugly Stick. I don't like using my 10' noodle rod. Not enough backbone. Plus I don't want to be the KNUCKLEHEAD who ties up the river for an hour trying to get his fish in. That gets under my skin. I think we all seen those guys before. It's better to be a little over than under when it comes to gear.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/25 16:54:18 (permalink)
    I have two different rods I use, 9' ugly stick and an 8'6" browning MH...both get spooled with the TOUGHEST mono there is - maxima chameleon - 10 or 15lb (10lb for <750cfs, 15lb for 750cfs+) Make sure you use a good quaility flouro leader - makes a huge difference in legal hookups vs. foul hooks.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/25 19:07:03 (permalink)
    I will say it has been many years since we spin fished for Salmon only due to personal choice nothing against spinning. Anyway, the above advice was all good and would only add to getting a good rod that feels good, light & strong. Ugly sticks are great rods but to me on the heavy side to hold all day and cast. (hence why I fly fish salmon anyway, much lighter rods). I have used browning rods with ok results but can say I'm an old school st. croix man. Mine (4) are probably at least 20 years old and got heavy use back then. Great rods (imo)

Again only thing I could add is to feel the rod before you buy it !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    luke71
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/25 20:51:53 (permalink)
    deadfishred you mention a good flouro leader what do you use.I must say after watching what other guys post i used to fish with 15lb line main matched with 15lb leader than i saw guys posting how that was to heavy so i went down to 12lb with 10 or 12lb leader.I was also stuck in the 80's about lots of weight but now i am going light and would like to try using flies on the end instead of fake eggs.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/26 00:06:45 (permalink)
    luke,P-Line Flora is reasonably priced and is as good as the more expensive stuff.I've used most of them and that's my go to tippet now.
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/26 14:36:11 (permalink)
    For flouro, I like the new berkley premium flouro, very strong reasonable price...seaguar is THE best, but just like everything else, you want the best, you pay the most and for mud sharks its just not worth it to me...

I guess what I was getting at was that using any flouro leader is better than mono, even if its clear mono...salmon see the shinyness of regular mono and move...and alot of times that is how they get foul hooked.

I guess I should mention that I haven't been doing much salmon fishing in the salmon river since I discovered the brown trout in the smaller western tribs - they are actually aggressive at times.
    post edited by deadfishred - 2009/08/26 14:37:59
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/26 18:51:27 (permalink)
    You guys really find fluro necessary on salmon ??? I don't , tried it, used it and found no difference in catching salmon...
    deadfishred,I have seen schools of salmon swim away from 12, even 10 lb mono tippet but in broken water and an aggressive "Hot" fish, they don't care if it was 30lb cable as long as they see the fly. To me it's just a why pay extra. Steelie yea they get finicky I will admit . I think Jimmy caught his on at least 12lb cut up mono leader...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    zcountry85
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/27 16:20:41 (permalink)
    deadfish said it best in an earlier post, 10lb and 15lb both work great and its all a matter of opinion. but i do the same thing with using different test depending on the speed of the river. i have 2 okuma avenger (av-40) each spooled with 10lb and 15lb depending on the speed of the river.

but i have a noodle rod (ugly stick 9 weight 9'6") and a normal spinning rod (ugly stick Medium action 9') and they are always in the back of my truck and i have no problem changing out rods, cause hey we all have bad days on the river, but it sure beats work and dealing with the old lady.
    deadfishred
    Expert Angler
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/28 09:59:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hot tuna

You guys really find fluro necessary on salmon ??? I don't , tried it, used it and found no difference in catching salmon...
    deadfishred,I have seen schools of salmon swim away from 12, even 10 lb mono tippet but in broken water and an aggressive "Hot" fish, they don't care if it was 30lb cable as long as they see the fly. To me it's just a why pay extra. Steelie yea they get finicky I will admit . I think Jimmy caught his on at least 12lb cut up mono leader...

I'm convinced that salmon that have already endured the gauntlet (made it upstream from town)are very very line shy. I started hooking at least 2x as many salmon once I switched from big game leader to flouro leader...and half as many were foul hooked...now maybe I changed my drifting technique, or maybe I switched up fly patterns, but I definetly see the salmon actively move away from fishing line. Last time I was up at the SR, I was fishing for steelies that were eating the salmon eggs up at Wire...the I would cast upstream to where there was a pod of salmon...they would all move to the side to avoid the line, and it would drift nicely to where the steelies were holding.

It is definetly a pressure thing though, cause in the smaller tribs out west, down in douglaston's or any time before mid-september, the salmon don't seem to give a squat about line...
    zcountry85
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: What type of spinning rod for salmon? 2009/08/28 17:05:46 (permalink)
    use chameleon line, especially towards the middle of october, no shine to scare fish away, very durable and strong, never tried seaguar but if i get the itch to try something new i will.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

its not yours til its on the grill
    Jump to: