shark skin? worth the money?

Author
byahn32
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/16 14:34:45 (permalink)

shark skin? worth the money?

i was thinking about picking up some shark skin steelhead taper fly line this year.. because mine is pretty shot. i was just wondering if any body has used it. and what are your thoughts.. i would appreciate both pros and cons on the line.. money isnt and issue 100$ for fly line that will last me and preform well is money well spent 

14 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/16 14:49:56 (permalink)
    For Erie it doesn't really matter... I'd save the money. Anything else will work just as well up there.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/16 16:13:51 (permalink)
    byahn - I use the Rio steelhead and atlantic salmon line for my steelhead fishing and I like it. Has lasted for some time now also. A very slick line that casts well. I do have the sharkskin line for my 5 weight though and I must say that this line is amazing. If you can get past the "zing" noise it makes when your false casting, it really shoots better than any line I've ever used. I was a bit concerned that with the type of construction of the line in that there are small bumps on it, that it would wear the guides over time but Scientific Anglers assures that won't happen. Like pxatim says though, you really don't need a high end line for Erie steelhead (although the Rio was $60.00) Where the sharkskin really outperforms all other lines is it's shooting ability when false casting. And when double hauling --- well that's where it really shines. If you can swing it though, I would think that the steelhead taper of sharkskin would be amazing. If you can - get to a flyshop and try casting it. I think you'd be amazed.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/16 16:44:55 (permalink)
    sharkskin for erie is a waste... IMO
    i understand that the $$ may not be the issue.... but

what kind of "performance" are you looking for???
    15ft roll casts and dumps? indicator nymphing at 20ft?

if your looking to blow some $$
    buy some SA coldwater/steelhead
    the coating is nice and stays supple

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/16 17:27:28 (permalink)
    well i mainly fish erie for steelhead.. and being only 22 i find it hard to travel but i do go to alaska almost every year for salmon.. so i wanted a nice line for long river casts.. im planning on using my 7wt sage for sockeye and kings next summer. i know 7wt is light for kings.. but ive caught them on ultra light spinning gear before.. so im expecting the fight of my life on a 7wt lol
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/17 09:02:32 (permalink)
    Sharkskin line has this annoying whistle through the air when cast.  I never would've thought until I fished with someone who was using it.  So annoying to me, that I'd never consider buying it for steelhead or anything else.  That said, dude claimed he didn' tnotice the whistling.  I think he was not being completely truthful.
    eyeofhorus
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/17 10:00:51 (permalink)
    I gotta laugh when everyone says its a waste to get a good flyline for erie. I fish elk and walnut all the time and make some longer casts in the open areas to stay away from the already spooky fish. Not everyone fishes an indicator set up, so I think you should get the best line you can. With that said I would not buy the SA Sharkskin simply to protest the unreal pricing of the line. SA, Cortland and Rio make plenty of good mid-range priced lines that will cast great and last many years.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/17 10:45:24 (permalink)
    Even if you are not using an indicator, you are still not paying out 100' of line either anywhere on Erie.  I use a turned around cortland 333 running line for god sakes...you don't need anything over 50 bucks.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/17 10:58:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: byahn32

know 7wt is light for kings.. but ive caught them on ultra light spinning gear before.. so im expecting the fight of my life on a 7wt lol

I've fished a 7wt for early Ontario kings. I hope it's a strong 7 cause all you're going to be able to do at first is hold on.
    It ain't fun standing there with no more rod flex / pressure left to apply. So make sure you have a heavy tippet and very good reel to play em' so you won't have to flex the rod so much.
    Good luck with it. Keep your hands on the cork. Never on the butt/ blank. 

As for a line. Hook n Hackle will do you fine.

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2526
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/17 11:52:01 (permalink)
    I have flylines from various manufactures includeing Cortland, Rio, Sage and Scientific Anglers but my preference for my 9'6"" 7 weight that I use to fish primarily for steelhead is Royal Wulff triangle taper.  Seems to work well in both warm and cold temperatures, and works very well in roll casting. To each his own but I think that most line in the 50 to 60 dollar price from most makers will suffice for the majority fly anglers. Of course the merits or faults of various lines is a very subjective thing and opinions for or against will be as many and varied as there are lines to choose from. I feel that in many instances the inherent quality of the equipment we use, far exceeds the abilities of us that try and use it.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/17 16:50:45 (permalink)
    Is it worth the money? My opinion, no.

It casts fine. But so does a $15 level line!
    The noise is ear wrenching.
    It didn't add any extra distance to my cast.
    It has an annoying zing when it slips through the guides.
    The tiny grooves in the pattern make it harder to clean than other lines.
    I want to slit my wrists when I hear someone casting it 70' away.

Mike
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/19 11:18:19 (permalink)
    I would love to have a shark line. I love casting the lake with streamers, and like eyeofhorus said, I also find myself casting some distances on bigger water.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/19 11:45:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

I would love to have a shark line. I love casting the lake with streamers, and like eyeofhorus said, I also find myself casting some distances on bigger water.

If you plan on stripping streamers in still water, where your hands are wet alot, better tape up your fingers.  I've sen pics of some brutal abrasions from that line on the hands.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/19 11:55:19 (permalink)
    i guess its all relative...

whats a "long distance cast"?
    30ft? 50ft? clearing full lines?
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    RE: shark skin? worth the money? 2009/08/19 19:41:33 (permalink)
    i decided to go with scientific angler nymph line instead.. not that im not going to get shark skin ill just get it for my 9wt switch rod which im also taking with me to alaska
    Jump to: