Ohio Line

Author
chance33
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/15 22:15:49 (permalink)

Ohio Line

As a newbe to this forum, lake Erie fishing and a Pa. resident I would like some guidance on what latitude I have with the Ohio/Pa border. Does DNR hotly patrol this border to enforce license? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

10 Replies Related Threads

nwpaconcours
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/15 22:20:56 (permalink)
    I just have to say I got a smile from the irony of your user name given the question...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/15 23:00:28 (permalink)

Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 09:22:13 (permalink)
    You can fish in Ohio waters, but the license determines where you launched your boat.   (Assuming you were talking about fishing from a boat).  i.e. If you launch out of Walnut, you can fish Ohio waters as long as you don't bring any fish onto land in Ohio.  Vice versa.

If you are fishing from shore\land, you need the license of the state whose land you are standing on.

Hope this helps.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 09:37:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Texcobb99

You can fish in Ohio waters, but the license determines where you launched your boat.   (Assuming you were talking about fishing from a boat).  i.e. If you launch out of Walnut, you can fish Ohio waters as long as you don't bring any fish onto land in Ohio.  Vice versa.

If you are fishing from shore\land, you need the license of the state whose land you are standing on.

Hope this helps.

Are you certain of this? I know PA has that on Pymy but don't believe it is the case on Erie. I could be wrong.

Anyways you are better paying the 40$ to Ohio launching out of a safer nicer harbor and wasting less than that 40$ in fuel as well.
    nwpaconcours
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 09:55:31 (permalink)
    You can fish in Ohio waters, but the license determines where you launched your boat

I don't fish the west county much so I've never concerned myself with this, but the only Ohio regs that allow PA (or reciprocal) licenses that I've seen dealt with inland waters (Pymatuning and certain rivers). I buy a NY license to fish the NY waters of Lake Erie regardless of where I launch.

The situation in Pymatuning is different.

http://www.dnr.ohio.gov/Portals/9/pdf/pub084.pdf
    post edited by nwpaconcours - 2009/08/16 10:02:59
    sweetwater
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 10:16:00 (permalink)
    Have been on charters from Ohio (Conny) on the lake, the captain said "they do patrol" and will check for liceneses. Both states patrol area heavy, but its been awhile fishing the state line. I would say check your GPS location!!!!! Don't risk it.                                         
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 13:36:49 (permalink)
    You must have an Ohio license to fish on Ohio waters in lake Erie. You must a have a PA license to fish PA water on lake Erie. If you have a gps on your boat it should have the boundary line on it or you should be able to install it. The do patrol the line and I would not want to be fishing without a license in either state. 
    Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 14:44:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chance33

As a newbe to this forum, lake Erie fishing and a Pa. resident I would like some guidance on what latitude I have with the Ohio/Pa border. Does DNR hotly patrol this border to enforce license? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

803110 longitude. Yes they do patrol. How often? It varies. Will you get stopped? If they (either side) see you, you can count on it.
    post edited by Blowchowski - 2009/08/16 14:45:50
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 17:31:22 (permalink)
    That's not the way I was told....has it always been this way.  I think I got my info from a fish comission agent years ago.  BF being a charter capt is probably right, but I am going to check into it.  I have both licenses anyways...

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Ohio Line 2009/08/16 17:38:18 (permalink)
    The following fishing license agreements apply to boundary waters. You must abide by all other rules and regulations of the state in which fishing and where you launch or retrieve your boat.
    A PENNSYLVANIA or MARYLAND LICENSE is valid on the Conowingo Reservoir or Youghiogheny River Lake when fishing from a boat (excluding coves and tributaries). DOES NOT INCLUDE SHORE FISHING.
    A PENNSYLVANIA or NEW YORK LICENSE is valid on the Delaware River (including West Branch) between New York and Pennsylvania when FISHING FROM A BOAT OR FROM EITHER SHORE.
    A PENNSYLVANIA or NEW JERSEY LICENSE is valid on the Delaware River between New Jersey and Pennsylvania when FISHING FROM A BOAT OR FROM EITHER SHORE. A Pennsylvania fishing license is required to fish in all other waters identified as being part of the Delaware Estuary.
    A PENNSYLVANIA or OHIO LICENSE is valid on the Pymatuning Reservoir when fishing from a boat. DOES NOT INCLUDE SHORE FISHING.
    A PENNSYLVANIA LICENSE is required to fish Kinzua Reservoir in McKean and Warren counties. NO agreement has been established with New York.
    NO FISHING AGREEMENTS have been made on any other boundary waters.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: