Author
fishON4Me
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/05 17:42:05 (permalink)

Daughter Fishing Spots?

Hello All!

Can anyone suggest a nice place I could take my two year old daughter to fish this weekend. Basically, I just want her to be able to have fun. She has never been fishing before and I was hoping for her to be able to catch a ton of sunnies or crappies to keep her interested. I was planning on taking her down to the south pier or to the beach somewhere but not really sure where to go. Any suggestions on a good spot for her to catch her first fish? Thank you.

8 Replies Related Threads

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/05 18:03:25 (permalink)
    the little ponds on presque Isle have tons of bluegills in them and if you fish with wax worms on a small hook, she should be able to yank out one after another.  I would recommend the pond with the gazebo out in the water.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    fishON4Me
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/05 19:03:56 (permalink)
    Thank you for your suggestion. I am hoping she has a blast!
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/05 20:50:01 (permalink)
    I'll second the ponds at WW on the peninsula. Great playground there
    also. I've taken my grandkids there while my daughter ran the marathon.
    I WOULD NOT take a child to the South Pier.  Way too dangerous.
    The bluegills in the pond will even latch onto bread, chips, whatever.
    The east pond has a nice pier, with a railing.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/05 21:11:20 (permalink)
    I third the above suggestions....I take my kids there. They fish till they're bored, hit the playground, and fish some more. I was there last night (the pond) with another board member. Right there on the dock...casting at the bridge. Got a few bluegills, crappie, and a cat. I also agree the north or south pier's are not kid friendly. Dangerous pier, mixed company.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/06 12:24:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

I third the above suggestions....I take my kids there. They fish till they're bored, hit the playground, and fish some more. I was there last night (the pond) with another board member. Right there on the dock...casting at the bridge. Got a few bluegills, crappie, and a cat. I also agree the north or south pier's are not kid friendly. Dangerous pier, mixed company.

what in the heck was a cat doing in the water?  What you catch it on, a hotDOG? LOL...

But seriously, my 5 y/o nephew wanted to go the the S. Pier and stupidly I took him with my parents.  ppl were ignorant when he asked them questions and then he decided he wanted to try and go swimming.  Luckily, I'm faster than I look and grabbed him.  So I would stay away from the piers with kids and hit the WW ponds.

Good luck

LoveGlove United
    6point7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/06 17:27:51 (permalink)
    I'll fourth the motion, my boys had fun there (for 30 min.) hit the playground, chase geese, and then fish for 20 minutes... repeat process. Be careful of the catfish there... THEY BITE.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/06 17:38:35 (permalink)
    HAHA...Yur a funny guy....my thumb still hurts. Guess It  could have been worse, I could have gotten roughed up by zebra mussels...I heard that really hurts.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Daughter Fishing Spots? 2009/08/07 10:58:22 (permalink)
    There is also mallory run in Edinboro, PA that is fishing only for the young or disabled.

As a kid growing up in Edinboro I had a *blast* there... lots of docks to cast from into the stream, lots of stocked fish...

Unsurprisingly though I can't find jack about it on Edinboro's govt website or elsewhere... here's the only blurb:

Mallory Run: A great introduction to the sport of fishing for youngsters. Located below Edinboro Dam, it is a pond and outlet stream, stocked each year by the Pennsylvania Fish Commission. Fishing is restricted to children twelve and younger and physically challenged adults. There are picnic tables and benches for parents to enjoy watching their children land that first fish.
    http://www.edinboro.net/display.asp?page=Resources\photos

Mallory Run is located behind the Boro building basically, lemme know if you need directions..!

Jump to: