Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank)

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/03 10:32:21 (permalink)

Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank)

Been recovering from rotator cuff surgery the past couple of months and to pass the time I've been going to public auctions from time to time to see what's out there in fishing equipment. One thing I have found is that where I live many auctioneer's don't really know the value of flyfishing equipment - especially vintage stuff. I have really hit the jackpot the past few months. First off - I bought a Orvis Midge Bamboo built in 1969 in mint condition for $47.00. And just this past Sat. I was at an auction where I saw a Hardy Perfect reel stuffed in a tackle box. I don't believe it was ever used.  I was one of two bidders on it and the auctioneer sold the whole lot - box filled with sinkers along with the reel to me for $40.00. I gotta say the sweat was pouring off me as I was bidding because I know what these reels are worth. I drove away in both cases feeling like I just robbed a bank. Here's some pics of it. I'm telling you - go to the sales - you never know what you'll find there. Just don't go to any I'm at! Anyone out there ever use any of the Perfects? It's for a seven - eight weight line. Just right for this fall.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

19 Replies Related Threads

Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 13:03:53 (permalink)
    You should sell it, use the money to buy a Made in Korea version, and use the extra dough to pay for my fishing trips over the next year.

Jealous? Yeah...a little.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 14:03:18 (permalink)
    Did you say "Pay for YOUR fishing trips?" Ha - I have enough trouble getting my wife to give me the go ahead for my trips let alone someone else's. No - I think I'll keep it.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 14:20:36 (permalink)
    SWEET FIND... don't tell the wife what it's worth
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 14:49:34 (permalink)
    So, what is that reel worth?  I have no idea.

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 15:45:00 (permalink)
    D-Nymph... the Perfects go for $1000.00 new
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 15:47:47 (permalink)
    Heck no I won't tell the wife what it's worth - she'll make me sell it on E-bay! Hardy began making them again after stopping production for quite a few years and pxatim is right that the new ones are quite pricey. There really is not a whole lot of difference though between the new and the old .
     D-nymph here's a link to one like this being sold on e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hardy-Perfect-Reel-3-1-8-RHR-1977-NEVER-USED-NIB_W0QQitemZ230361776944QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a2a1c330&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
    post edited by steely34 - 2009/08/03 15:59:17

John Gierach

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 19:33:04 (permalink)
    Nice find.
    The rod is a 2 pc 1 tip?  too sloooow for my taste but they do have a following. 

The Perfects are nice balancing out heavy rods though the later issues are a bit lighter.
    These are dual pawl-reels with adjustable spring tension on one pawl. No rim to palm. You can add pressure with your finger against the side plate if needed. Some cut a small section of frame to palm. Best to play the fish off the rod as much as possible. Sounds like a fun reel to fish. But remember, once you fish it, the value goes down considerably.
    Nothing like the sound of a Hardy. If you get a nice fish on, you won't have to yell "fish on".

steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 20:13:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Nice find.
    The rod is a 2 pc 1 tip?  too sloooow for my taste but they do have a following. 

The Perfects are nice balancing out heavy rods though the later issues are a bit lighter.
    These are dual pawl-reels with adjustable spring tension on one pawl. No rim to palm. You can add pressure with your finger against the side plate if needed. Some cut a small section of frame to palm. Best to play the fish off the rod as much as possible. Sounds like a fun reel to fish. But remember, once you fish it, the value goes down considerably.
    Nothing like the sound of a Hardy. If you get a nice fish on, you won't have to yell "fish on".

Dano, The rod is a 2 pc - with one tip and you are right in that it is a very slow rod. I took it out the other day and it did get a bit of getting used to. Caught a 10" brown on it and the thing I immediatly noticed having never fished bamboo before is that I could feel every quiver of that trout in the palm of my hand. Hard to explain but amazing just the same. This reel is a dual pawl reel but I do not think I'll be cutting the cage off of it so I can palm it. I do have an old C.Farlow reel in my collection that has that done to it though. That's how they controlled the run of the fish back then. They cut off part of the rim so they could palm the reel. My son told me to go ahead and fish it - forget about the value. Heck, like he said, your only on this earth one time - might as well enjoy it. A wise son I have!

John Gierach

Match The Hatch
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/03 20:57:29 (permalink)
    Nice find, I think I might just have to go to some auctions myself.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/08 11:39:34 (permalink)
    Wow

I'm jealous. $40. Dang!

A good friend of mine has a left hand retreive perfect with the agate line guard. I love the way it sounds when he pulls line off.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/08 12:37:57 (permalink)
    That's where i get a lot of my old bamboo.  In most cases you can actually inspect the rod before you buy.  I bought an 1890's Gentlemens' attche case rod, 7 section, with case for $7.35.  The one guy who was bidding against me (it started at $1.00) wanted it to make a crappie pole out of it.  I shudder to think of the amount of classic bamboo rods that have suffered the same fate down here.  There was one guy who was buying the rods and stripping them for the nickle-silver components. And then throwing the bamboo away.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/08 13:38:29 (permalink)
    Your right indsguiz -- when I go to these sales that have fishing equip. it always surprizes me a to how much the auctioneers do not know about flyfishing equipment. There are guys out there though who are collectors and go to these sales - I've seen them at the same sale I was at and I stand no chance in getting any kind of deal. I see alot of Montague and Horricks bamboo fly rods at sales though. I bought one (a Montague) in great shape for $40 - tried to sell it on ebay and only got $47.00 for it. But I cannot imagine someone buying a classic like a Payne or a Leonard and stripping it down for the components. That would make me cry!!!

John Gierach

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/15 16:13:43 (permalink)
    i think  you did rob a bank lol you just walked away with like 1500$ for 80 bucks!!!!! grrrrrrrr why dont i ever have that kinda luck. best deal got was a pair of brand new in box simms guide felt sole boots for 80$ thanks for ebay.. retailing around 200$ i felt like the man lol.. but in your case you truly are the man on legendary lucky deals lol
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/15 18:45:48 (permalink)
    byahn - lol - thanks for the kind words my friend but believe me by no means am I the man. Like you said I just got real lucky. I'll probably never - ever get another deal like these two ---- but I'll keep trying. Not to change the subject but how do you like those boots? I have the Orvis Brogue's with a zipper up the side but the felt wore off and came loose. I tried to glue another studded replacements on and so far they seem to hold up but I know they won't last. Was thinking of getting the Guides with the rubber sole. $$$$$ How are they wearing for you?

John Gierach

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/15 19:39:18 (permalink)
    steely34   I tried to pm you but it says undeliverable!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/15 20:43:49 (permalink)
    Try again indsguiz -- my in box was full. Just cleaned it out. Sorry about that.

John Gierach

byahn32
    Avid Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/16 14:28:56 (permalink)
    steely i love my simms gear.. i got the g3 waderss and there are basically bullet proof!! i fell down a hill last year during a rain storm in them.. and walked through some pretty serious brush and have never punctured or had any leaks! i love the guide boots.!! so comfortable! and with felt with studs they are perfect for erie streams with those slick slate bottoms
    byahn32
    Avid Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/16 14:32:34 (permalink)
    check out ebay.. this guy has the felt sole for 169.99 lowest price ive seen so far! you should email them and see if they have your size?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300301469626
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hardy Perfect (Feel like I robbed a bank) 2009/08/16 16:03:53 (permalink)
    byahn - I agree with you on the G3 waders. I bought a pair of them two years ago and they were well worth the money. Bomb proof waders. I will be checking out the ebay site. Thanks buddy.

John Gierach

Jump to: