Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!"

Author
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/01 23:59:15 (permalink)

Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!"

Last trip of the year for Indian Summer and his 23' Sportcraft before he heads back out to Montana.  My two boys and I were there on the final afternoon excursion with him.  As always, had a great/funny day with Joe out on the big lake.  We totalled up 10 walleye and 45 keeper perch.  We found a decent pod of eyes Friday west of the perch pack outside the nut in 65 to 70 FOW.  Kept on them pretty steady with a couple of doubles and losing nearly 10 fish.  No junk to speak of other than a couple of white bass.  The eyes came on EyeMax harnesses with the single magnum blades.  Freezer Burn and Global Warming being the two best color patterns.  It was an interesting 9 hour excursion with two troopers, a 6 year old and 4 year old who stuck in there right with us (I think it was the candy!).  We had a hard time deciding what was funnier, me banging my head off the hard top 20 times or my son Christian asking a MILLION questions!  Patience Joe, pacience....Once again, thanks for a great day!  It really helps when a couple of seasoned anglers click out there on the water.  The biggest walleye came on the Global Warming harness which was 30 1/4" only weighing 9 lbs.  The fish appeared to be a large skinny male just starting to feed.  Joe lost, what we believed to be one as big if not bigger, soon after.  As I recall, when I took the wheel at one point, Joe was 1 for 5 when tending to the rods!  Again, patience Joe, patience!  We used Lite Bite Divers (which Joe now swears by) on the 6 setting out the sides 125' to 145' back & 100' to 110' straight out on the 0 setting.  One fish came on the rigger.  The harnesses with meat were the key until we ran out of meat, of course.  Then it was time to perch jerk, which the boys were looking forward to all day, and it didn't take long to get the 45 perch before the sun started setting.

I look forward to many more trips just like that one, so you better sell that outfitter business real quick!

Christian looking forward to the day and thinking up his next question.

Alex getting ready for his 2 hour nap.

The big one!  The head on that thing was huge!

Heading home.

Back at the camp.

post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/08/02 08:37:42

8 Replies Related Threads

Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 00:55:59 (permalink)
    Great Pics! Looks like you had a great day with a good friend and 2 nice little kids. My grandson (8) would have drove me nuts out that long. I take him on short trips.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 01:34:46 (permalink)
    Nice cooler Paul. Been a tough year so far I hear. I've been down for a few months with 2 1/2 months to go. I guess I haven't missed much by being sick. Sometimes even tough to look at the computer and type. That's why I've been silent lately. Hopefully all that will change October. Saying Hi to all me friends I've ignored over the last 3 months. Take care all AND, Never take health for granted..................Dave
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 06:29:18 (permalink)
    Nice!   Fishing on Lake Erie, nothing even comes close!!!!  Be back up in 6 DAYS!!    I am just a little excited.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 08:04:40 (permalink)
    When ya see SUNF has started a thread......It's always a good post. Thanx duUd.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 09:34:38 (permalink)
    Paul, thanks again for the update.  Pic's look great.  We'll talk when I get back!

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 14:29:44 (permalink)
    Great pics Shut!

That one is a bruiser, what'd he measure in at?
    Indian Summer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 167
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 17:11:24 (permalink)
    Paul's fish was 30.25 inches & 9 lbs.  I lost one that was 31 & 10 pounds. ;-)

Kids!   ...... more like demons! "why can't I drive"...... "cause we have to keep the boat straight"...."why" ......"because we don't want our lines to get tangled"...... "why" ...... "because we won't catch fish if our lines are tangled"....... "why" .......... "because your dad is a crappy fisherman now go in the cabin"..... "why"....... "because it's a long swim to shore!"

How about the 'I'm almost out of questions question'.... "Which way is shore?" Little $hit! Grabs the steering wheel when I'm not looking and sends us into a left tailspin on his way into the cabin for his 99th piece of candy.

I liked the look on their faces when I told them I could correct them because I was their real dad. Hilarious! Almost as good as the look on Paul's face when I told them at the campfire that they could each have one beer and three swear words before bed.

How about "Who would have rather brought your mother than your dad?"

Three against one. Ha! Next year it's me, Christian, Alex, & Tanya.

But troopers for sure. When I'm leaving for Montana I don't quit 'til the sun is halfway into the water. I have grown men for friends who would have been crying that they were ready to call it a day when those two were grabbing the perch poles. I was truly surprised that they lasted that long. One day they will be the fish masters. I can't wait to say something to them like "I just $hit myelf can you help me out here" LOL

I have to say that you guys who live up there or have seasonal trailers at places like Erie Z and Uncle Johns are on the right track. There's nothing better than having a network of buddies who all give each other the up to the minute reports. Not to mention the campfires next to Elk Creek. One day I'll have a place up there myself. 

Got eyes? ..... You do if you got EyeMax Tackle! Thanks Kaz! 

I might as well include a fish tip or 2.... the single blade magnums were on way better than the double willows. Couldn't buy a fish on fire tiger. Rigger was dead. Best depth.... 66.7 Speed 1.7-1.9 Talked to one nice guy who did very well on stick baits on the same settings at the same depth & speed. Good luck to all.
    post edited by Indian Summer - 2009/08/02 17:20:52
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Walleye & Perch Excursion "Shut the HECK Up Joe!" 2009/08/02 17:53:02 (permalink)
    smAl

stRaytmuNchR
    Jump to: