Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill?

Author
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/14 09:06:08 (permalink)

Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill?

Last night, I was cleaning my shotgun, after it had a 100 rounds through it sunday. I figured it was gonna be a quick clean so I just ran the boresnake in it. Looked pretty decent. Then it dawned on me... I read a few articles about guys attaching the cleaning rod and brush to a drill. Ill give that a whirl, just to see what I missed... sprayed some bore cleaner in the barrels, chucked up the rod ran it down the barrel and back, both top and bottom. I could not believe the amound of crud that came out of those barrels. I clean this gun after every round of sporting clays.

I think those boresnakes are great if you hunt and only shoot 6->12 shots in a day. They dont do jack for much else. Glad I own the boresnake and regular stuff.

Anyone else ever use a drill to clean your gun?

7 Replies Related Threads

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill? 2007/08/15 19:27:17 (permalink)
    My shotguns all have chrome-moly barrels.  I haven't cleaned them since I have owned them.  That would be about 15 years for my Sporting Clays gun and I can't imagine how many rounds.  I do wipe off and lube the chokes when I change them, and I might add some graphite lube to the ejectors if they start to stick hulls.  I do wipe of the outside with a silicon cloth every time they are handled (I have the type of acid in my fingers that leaves an immediate finger print -- so I always wear gloves).

Except for a few flakes of unburned powder, you would swear they are all new -- even my hunting shotgun that is out in whatever weather happens to grace us during the season.

I am religious about my rifles though.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill? 2007/08/16 08:12:26 (permalink)
    My barrels on this gun are chrome lined.... what the hell type of shells are you shooting that its that clean?
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill? 2007/08/16 18:04:58 (permalink)
    In my 12 Sporting Clays gun I shot Remington Nitro 27 in 7.5; Estates in 8; Remington Premier in 8.5; and Winchester AA in 9.  The reason being the different brands so that I could tell at a quick glance what size shot I had -- 7.5 was gold; 8 was burgundy; 8.5 was green; and 9 was red.

In my 20 gauge guns that I hunt with I use Winchester XX 7.5 Copper plated.  The advantages of this load are many -- it is actually 1 1/8 oz. out of 20, so it is the same shot load as a 12 (still 2 3/4 hull); the large shot load in a 20 bore creates a very long shot column, so lead estimation is not as critical; the copper plated 7.5 will shoot through a pheasant in most instances, but will not blow up quail or chukars.  They aren't cheap, but I only shoot about a case per year, so it isn't that bad.

When I fun shot a 20 on clays, I use AA.

Duncsdad

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill? 2007/08/16 18:53:01 (permalink)
    Faster and heavier loads tend to leave lead deposits.
    Same as shooting hot loads with lead bullets in a pistol.

I would not use a stainless brush with a drill-brass should be ok.
    post edited by pghmarty - 2007/08/17 00:52:37
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill? 2007/08/17 08:19:45 (permalink)
    The brush is brass. The shot load isnt heavy at all. I reload, right now im shooting a winchester AA hull with a claybuster WAA12 wad and 1oz of #8 shot, hodgdon clays powder, 209 winchester primer. The thing here is that may be the downfall to the current powder weight is that im only pushing about 1120fps with very low pressure. Im actually going to step up to about 1250fps because the lead(distance) amount I need on clay birds is REDICULAS, im talking 2-3 feet! Doesnt need to be that low recoil.

Shawn... a 7 1/2 on game birds, you dont think thats a little light?
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/08/17 08:20:18
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill? 2007/08/17 20:07:53 (permalink)
    Jeremy,

Between hunting during the regular season, belonging to a pheasant club, hunting competitions, and dog training, I shoot between 150 and 250 birds per year, with about 75% of them being pheasants -- all with 7.5's.  That size shot kills them quite dead.

The smaller pellets penetrate feathers easier than stouter ones much like a pin penetrates your skin easier than a pencil point.  I do shoot copper plated pellets, so they are quite hard.  Very often they punch clear through a pheasant, especially with only fall plumage.  Winter plumage is very dense and it takes a lot more to get through it.  Unless one belongs to a pheasant club, most hunters never need to deal with winter plumage because the season is long over.

A lot has to do with where you shoot a bird.  Just like you don't just shoot at a deer, you shouldn't just shoot at a bird either.  Make a very studied effort to shoot it in the head/neck area by concentrating on its beak/eye or ring.  The easiest way to do that is with a pass through approach.  Start the swing like you were shooting sporting clays and swing through the tail to the beak.  It is normally called the butt, body, beak, bang method.

Of course there are times that you simply cannot do that -- namely when you get a limited angle, rising straight away shot.  This angle leaves little more than the tail feathers and back exposed.  Shooting the tail feathers doesn't do any good and back shot birds often get away -- no matter what size shot you use.  When this is the only shot, I swing up on the bird and just before, like milliseconds before, I pull the shotgun slightly to the right (I am right handed) and shoot the bird in the wing.  They don't fly very well with only one functional wing.  The higher number of small pellets (I think there are about 100 more 7.5's in a 1 1/8 oz. load than # 6's) allows for far more margin of error.

After shooting a bunch of birds, you will be surprised at just how well you start to see them in flight and that makes the beak/eye/ring sight picture a whole lot easier.  I really didn't believe that until I started training with quail.  I remember reading about hunting quail in the south and how they would only shoot cockbirds out of the covey and I thought what a load of BS.  How could you pick out the males, signified by a brown stripe through the eye area, when a bunch of little brown whirling blobs where all taking flight at the same time?

Well, in reality, it isn't that hard and as you train yourself to look for the beak/eye area, it becomes rather easy, almost like the bird is in slow motion.

When I particularly target chukars, I use # 8 and for quail # 9's.  I guess I just like more pellets in the air.

Also, if you think shooting 7.5's is light, I also shoot skeet 1 in the bottom barrel for the 1st shot and either skeet 2 or, at the most, IC for the second shot.  With a finished pointing dog, most shots are between 20 and 25 yards.  It is rare for a 30-35 yard shot.  And if the shots are even further, then either I did something wrong to put myself in a bad position, the person who walked in on the point missed and I had to shoot clean-up, or the dog and I need to have a conversation about crowding a bird.  It is usually the 1st issue.

My male English Pointer has been out this week for breeding.  Hopefully we will have pups born sometime close to the 1st day of pheasant season (isn't that ironic) and have them ready to go by early December.  Because Dartanian was the stud, I get pick of the litter.  Since there have been a lot of questions on the boards about dog training, if I get enough interest, I'll chronicle, with photos, the training process from picking the pup from the litter through making him a finished dog.

Duncsdad

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Have you ever... cleaned a gun with a drill? 2007/08/18 21:40:12 (permalink)
    I think how much cleaning your barrel will need depends on two things; the finish inside your barrel, and the shells you are using.

The bore of my benelli looks like a mirror after just a few passes with a boresnake or a rod. My winchester and my remington, however need a lot more attention. It takes a lot more cleaning to get the crud out of them, and they still never seem to get completely clean, meaning that whatever I run through them always comes out with a little crud on them.

I find that the field loads I buy often dirty the barrel of a shotgun more than my reloads. I have good luck with titewad, lil' gun, and claybuster powders. They all seem to work fine.

Using a drill to clean a bore scares me a little. The last thing you'd want is to scratch your gun or its bore in the process. I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it.
    Jump to: