Small Craft Walleye!

Author
porter64
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/28 19:05:35 (permalink)

Small Craft Walleye!

What is the best time of year (weather pending) to troll or drift for walleye close to shore up in the big water in a 16ft boat with a 15hp? 1)Can you drift(Jig)? 2)What's the closest you've guys caught em'? 3)What's the average depth when there in? I don't have a boat that can handle anything past 2 to 3's up there, and don't trust myself or that lake enough to venture out too far. Any info would be great! Thanks!

4 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Small Craft Walleye! 2009/07/28 19:17:34 (permalink)
    Now is about right considering the water temps are much colder than previous years at this time.

I troll for em in my 16 footer all the time , keep an eye out for weather changes and get off if you feel unsafe. I dont feel worried in 2 to 4's as long as the waves arent breaking over the sides of the boat. You may get bounced around a little but you have to have a good walleye chop(2 to 3's) to get em just right. IMO.

Seems bigslick was getting them somewhere in the 25 to 35 fow the other night according to what he said on another post. Hope this helps a little . Good luck and be safe.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Small Craft Walleye! 2009/07/28 19:23:02 (permalink)
    Last june I caught 6 drifting colorado blade harnesses & meat. must be able to drift at least 1.0 MPH or they wouldnt hit atleast in june was in 20FOW about 1/2 mile out with a east wind probably still some walleye residents close in in morning / evening right now with the cold (summer). problem is to get a good drift you need the winds that bring the waves . wait for a north wind blowing from (south to north) to have low waves close to shore would be youre best bet although i'd just team up with someone who likes to fish on these boards always empty seats for cheap . just don't adjitate the captain it's a long swim back . I would troll if we get a flat day make sure you have atleast inline planer boards as in shallow / clear water the fish are definately boat shy ....... Good luck - DC
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Small Craft Walleye! 2009/07/28 22:30:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deetz4352

Seems bigslick was getting them somewhere in the 25 to 35 fow the other night according to what he said on another post. Hope this helps a little . Good luck and be safe.

Yup, 25-35FOW west of walnut trolling bagleys off of boards last night got 4 in about 2 hours. Had 3 premature releases and 1 lost right at the net. I guess not real hot, but not bad for what I am hearing from everywhere else.

runtgetter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Small Craft Walleye! 2009/07/29 14:14:23 (permalink)
    last year we hit em early at the nut in may.elk creek was hot this year in 10-15 fow(in the evening-10pm) from may until?the creek mouths seem to atract the fish.Ever see trout run at night in may?the guys stack up pretty good to throw big stick rapalas.im not real sure about the east of presque isle tribs but they seem to come to the west side creeks pretty good at night.usually when the guys start throwing at the creek mouths at pymie they are the tribs too
    Jump to: