Egg Colors

Author
Bubb
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/26 07:31:25 (permalink)

Egg Colors

Okay guys I'm on the new curve here and am going to tie a bunch of mcflyfoam eggs to try.  I hear alot of you guys use them for steelhead.  But what are the better colors for Erie tribs?  I'll be fishing elk a few times this year in late Oct and Nov.  Oh what sive egg hooks 12-14???    And the red dot is also mclfy foam right?

17 Replies Related Threads

KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 07:43:17 (permalink)
    for eggs... mcfly foam is the best stuff out

i like pink, orange, chartreuse.... but rarely do the dot

i've found size depends on water conditions

tank7791
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 07:45:40 (permalink)
    White,orange,peach and flo green are good colors to start with as far as hook size i use 14-16

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 08:46:35 (permalink)
    One of the best thing to do is to get a few real salmon eggs as a guide to size and color.  In low clear conditions single eggs can be deadly and a egg you tie that looks similar to a real egg will be very effective.  One little trick is to mix a few different colors in the similar color family together to get an egg that is not uniform in color.  For examples, try mixing two or three different shades of orange together.   I found these eggs look more natural because real eggs are not uniform in color.  Also, do not make the eggs too dense.  The less dense eggs look more real.  They do not need to be perfectly round.  Real eggs are not perfect.

The color families I like to use most are orange, pink and cream-yellow.  Light green do work on some occasions.

As for size, I like #14 and #16 for the low and clear conditions, but will go up to #10 or #12 for high and off color conditions.  BTW - red works well in the off color conditions.

Do not add any weight to the eggs.  They work best if they float a long near the bottom and move around in the water currents.  A few small split shot up the leader will keep the fly down.  You will have to play with the amount of weight and where to place them as this depends on the conditions.

One little trick that can help get a lockjawed steelie to bite is to run a small nymph as a dropper behind the egg.  A hares ear, pheasant tail, copper john, or any small nymph will usually do.  These can be weighted or not.  Again it depends on the water conditions.  Tie the dropper on through the eye of the egg fly.

Lastly, the key to success is a natural drift.  If you can, try to learn to fish without a strike indicator.  I know I will get some who will disagree with this, but unless you know how to use a strike indicator correctly, it will more often than not end up dragging your eggs around and your drift will not be natural.  Keep most of your fly line off the water and try hard to keep your leader as vertical as possible.  High sticking will help.  As I said, there are some who do not prefer this method, but if you can learn how to do it, you will be rewarded with a successful day on the creeks.

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 09:35:38 (permalink)
    WOW!   Bughawk is Back!  Now the polite voice of sanity has returned!  Thank you!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    tribster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 10:09:43 (permalink)
    Blue is the first color the stealhead will see in the morning and last color they will see at night.  Chartreuse and Yellow work well in off color water.  Light colors like egg, cream and cheese work well in clear conditions.  For more information get John Nagy's 4th Edition page 150.

GOOD LUCK
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 11:01:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Lastly, the key to success is a natural drift.  If you can, try to learn to fish without a strike indicator.  I know I will get some who will disagree with this, but unless you know how to use a strike indicator correctly, it will more often than not end up dragging your eggs around and your drift will not be natural.  Keep most of your fly line off the water and try hard to keep your leader as vertical as possible.  High sticking will help.  As I said, there are some who do not prefer this method, but if you can learn how to do it, you will be rewarded with a successful day on the creeks.

Excellent post Bug.... I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph. Last year I stopped using a strike indicator to try and get a more natural drift. This is probably the single best thing you can do. When you figure out how to get a natural drift... steelbow's will eat just about anything. And only use as little split shot as needed to get you down. If I do use split shot it's at least 18-24" up my leader from my first fly. We've also found that two yellow/cream flies drifted in the spring is pretty deadly also. If eggs are working then egg sucking leaches will more than likey work well also.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 11:08:19 (permalink)
    For hooks can't beat the Mustad 3399,12&14s. I think they are less than $6 per 100.
    Welcome back Bug.
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2009/07/26 11:09:07

Proud to have been a FOT/
    I've been out fishing.
    Clean your gear/
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

Rpgyard
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 13:18:28 (permalink)
    Orivis Trout & Steelhead Egg Hook.  Size 10, 50 for $8.50.  These are very heavy gauged and will not break or bend.  I tie scrambled eggs with them with glo bug yarn.  I use a cream color with a red, pink, or chartreuse dot in the middle.  I use them in all conditions and have never had a problem.  Scrabled eggs are much easier to tie than glo-bugs and a heck of a lot faster.  If you start using 14 and 16 sized hooks you might as well cut your landing rate by 66%.  Also I only go up to 2x leaders and usually use 1x.  Heavy gauged hooks and stronger line will have you landing 90% of your fish.  Except when they first come in and are full of energy, then it will be considerably lower.  I have also found loosening the drag and breaking your reel with your hand helps increase your landing rate as well.
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 19:44:06 (permalink)
    Egg Patterns:

Mcfly foam - orange, chartreuse, cheese (pale yellow)

Glo Bug yarn - chartreuse, cerise, oregon cheese, egg

Hooks - Daiichi 1650, 2x strong, best egg hook I've ever seen. Strong, sharp, usually a size 10.
    TMC 2488H - another excellent hook, 2x strong, size 12, 14

Mcfly foam egg with a bit of pearl lite brite dubbing tied as a veil or collar is a killer erie sthd pattern.  The pearl dubbing gives the fly a bit of glitter and an illusion of translucence.

medium to low water with a lot of clarity, pale colors - egg, oregon cheese, tied small, about the size of a pea.

higher, prime water conditions - good flow, green with about 1 to 2 ft. of visibility, egg can be larger, up to about the size of a dime. Chartreuse, cerise, dark orange, or the "clown" color combo is very good.

If you are fishing a hole or run with a lot of fish stacked up, consider using one fly with an indicator and lead not much longer than the depth of the water. Doing this will reduce the no. of fouled, lined fish.

If you like glo bugs, try tying them as yarn balls rather than on the hook. The yarn ball can be tied any size. Main advantage to this is you can change color or size without having to re tie your hook.

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/26 19:56:48 (permalink)
    I dont fly fish, but I spend alot of time fishing for steelhead and use almost exclusively eggs.  In fall, chartreuse and hot pink work best for me, by far.  In the spring, white screened eggs and pink work best, with white being the best by far.  green and orange hasnt done anything for me in the spring and orange and white havent done much in the fall for me.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/28 13:46:52 (permalink)
    I have had luck on all shades of orange & pink. I have also caught fish on greens, light blue, purple, red, white, yellow & cream colors. I cheat when I make mine. I buy 6mm pom poms from the local craft store, put them offset on the hook and add a drop of super glue. Much faster than tying and they work fine. I aslo make custom colors by buying white pom poms & using Rit dye to color them.If you want the "blood dot" use a red sharpie. Works great, to dry, lay them on a cookie sheet and bake at the lowest setting your oven has for 1/2 an hour. You can also dye sparkle braid & angora yarn to make your own colors for sucker & crystal spawn.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/28 13:54:59 (permalink)
    Works great, to dry, lay them on a cookie sheet and bake at the lowest setting your oven has for 1/2 an hour.

Yeesh! What ever happened to just letting them air dry?
    post edited by Cold - 2009/07/28 13:55:19
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/29 11:11:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Works great, to dry, lay them on a cookie sheet and bake at the lowest setting your oven has for 1/2 an hour.

Yeesh! What ever happened to just letting them air dry?

COLD: This tip was is in case you need them fast, like if you'rer making them the night before a trip to Erie.
    post edited by JEB - 2009/07/29 11:13:36
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/29 11:24:41 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's fine...wasn't trying to be nasty...but mine are normally as dry as they'll ever get after air drying for an hour, if not less.

EDIT: Ack. Just re-read...you're talking drying time for the dyed ones, right? I thought you were just talking about the glue drying.

Gomen nasai.
    post edited by Cold - 2009/07/29 11:27:22
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/29 12:46:14 (permalink)
    Is there a color that doesn't work?
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/29 13:39:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

EDIT: Ack. Just re-read...you're talking drying time for the dyed ones, right? I thought you were just talking about the glue drying.

Yep, just the ones that were dyed !
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Colors 2009/07/29 13:40:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

Is there a color that doesn't work?

Not much luck with black, dark green and brown. But I have caught stockies on the black ones.
    Jump to: