Carbon arrows

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/12 07:10:25 (permalink)

Carbon arrows

I'm going to get a dozen new arrows for hunting. I've been shooting Beman ICS hunters. I've been looking at the Beman ICS camo hunters. Any thoughts or suggestions. Also looking to get some new broadheads any advice in that area..Haven't bought any for 4-5 years and was wondering what the hot new products are..Thanks...Bing

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

11 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 11:54:01 (permalink)
    Dad shoots ICS's.  Never a prob.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 12:22:29 (permalink)
    I've been shooting gold tip xt 5575 carbons for years. I think they are around $105 per dozen. I have never had a problem with them breaking or losing their integrity. I fletch them with quickspin vanes. I dont have a good reference for comparison against other brands, since those are mainly what i've shot for so long, but I will say, I have been very pleased with the gold tips.

As far as broadheads, I more often use mechanical heads. Some people say that they dont penetrate as well, but I have never had a problem. You just need to make sure you have enough kinetic energy. Last year, I used rocket steelhead xp's, and was very pleased with the penetration it got on a big doe. Even though the arrow passed through one shoulder, the head was not damaged. I've also killed deer with the following heads, and had good results: rocket ultimate steel 100, NAP spitfire 100, muzzy, rocket sidewinders, and rocky mountain ironhead 100s.

There are a lot of good heads out there. I wont say any of the heads I mentioned are the best, but they did the job.
    post edited by thedrake - 2007/08/12 12:30:56
    Moses Guthrie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 13:06:26 (permalink)
    Agree with the Gold Tip arrows and NAp Spitfire heads.Last three years my deer have not gone fifty yards after the shot.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 14:32:58 (permalink)
    I shoot gold tips as well.

The issue I and many hunters have with expandables is not only them opening, and the peneration issue but moreover what happens to them AFTER they enter.  All these companies promote the size of the hole they put in the skin but what good does that do to the vitals?  Expandables don't have back end support and those blades that put that big hole are many times crushed because of rib cage bones before they get to the vitals.  yikes!

I just watched Phil Phillips shoot a buck in Kansas, arrow went in about 8 inches with expandables.  That to me is scary and is completely ridiculous for a grown man capable of shooting 60 + pounds.  I've never had an arrow not completely pass thru.  That's important to me.

If you take the time to properly tune, fixed blades are hard to beat.  I picked up Muzzy's Mx-3 100 grain for this year.  Just out of desire.  I trust any razor sharp 3 blade fixed that shoot straight.  That said, I sometimes get one/two out of six that fly goofy, discovering that is critical.  You might as well not hunt if you can't take the time to be sure.

Also, time will dull blades.  I replace them every year and give them the rubber band test, always.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 15:30:21 (permalink)
    Silverkype has a point with some mechanicals not being as strong as fixed blade heads. As a rule of thumb, I dont buy mechanicals with any more than a 1.5" cutting diameter. It seems to me that any with a larger cutting diameter will not be as strong because they dont have much support for the length of the blade. Not to mention the fact that you have less penetration with a larger cutting diameter. The steelheads I use now have fairly thick blades, and like I said earlier, after shooting a large doe with one last year, The blades were not broken or bent.

As far as blades not opening....I have killed somewhere around 7 deer with mechanical heads. Not once did the blades fail to open. In fact, many times the entrance hole was nearly as large as the exit hole.

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 16:38:14 (permalink)
    I've been using a small rocket three blade expandable. But got to watching some of the tv guys and most of them were shooting fixed blade. I worked in an archery shop for a couple years. But that was a few years ago and new things come down the pike that help.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 20:39:28 (permalink)
    Im telling you guys, those sonic heads are the cats meow. I would be a spokesman for them in a heart beat.

I shoot carbon express, seem good too me. One thing I really believe in is putting a helical twist on the arrow. Im convinced that helps flight.

On a side note, dont know if you guys get buckmasters, but there was an article in there where one of the writers tested penetration depth with small diameter carbon arrows and aluminum's. The small diameter arrows actually had better penetration. I remember hearing that wasnt the case a few years ago. They also basically said theres very slim difference based on penetration vs weight simply because of the way carbon fiber is. Who knows.

Get a helical twist... right!
    steelyjon
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/12 20:56:44 (permalink)
    Goldtips ,And Rocket Hammerheads Broadheads, They do more damage than my 7mag some times.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/28 07:29:12 (permalink)
    Picked up a half dozen Carbon Express Camo Terminator Hunter lites. They are fletched with blazer vanes. Have to see how they shoot and hold up.Having a little tuning problem with them.Shoot ok out to 20 yards but sprays arrows at 30. You can see bad arrow flight(fishtailing-porpising) I think its because the blazer vanes are a taller harder vane and are hitting somewhere.Just needs some tweeking if that doesn't fix it will have to got to a fall away rest. Thanx for the info....Bing.

carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/28 20:35:07 (permalink)
    Sonoran broadheads.com these open after impact check it out!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Carbon arrows 2007/08/29 21:57:38 (permalink)
    bings,

I like the gold tips as well and I've been using them for about 8 seasons now.  Durable, price is right and accurate.  Last year, I killed two deer with my new Rage mechanical broadheads and they worked great.  I used Spitfire Pros before then and they were great as well, but the new Rage concept sold me, so I had to try them out....now I have both and they are highly recommended by me.  Oh yeah, quik spin veins too.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2007/08/29 21:59:24

Jump to: