Slow morning, one solid fish, saw some wild nature

Author
bassinbrian
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/11 14:48:49 (permalink)

Slow morning, one solid fish, saw some wild nature

Hit the water with my buddy Joe today from 6:30-1:30. They were dead on with the forecast this time, lots of sun and strong winds. Did a number on the trolling battery, we were fighting the wind all morning.

I was hoping that would help the top water bite, but it was pretty slow overall. I chucked the Slammer (no hits) , Jig (1 smaller fish) and only boated 2 on the Toad , including this chunker ...

5lb 3oz

Joe ended up 8 or so, his best couple fish were 3lbers.

We did see a bit of crazy nature going on, there was a smaller goose we could see from a distance was struggling in 2-3 fow. I said lets go take a look , thinking it was caught in old line or something and i'd just cut it free. We get up to it and there's snapping turtle like 3' in diameter latched onto it's leg trying to pull it under !!!! We were amazed

The turtle let go when we got up to it, the birds one leg was all pretty f'ed up from what we could see, but it took off swimming for shore. Looked like he was in rough shape.

I thought about it after but i should taken a pic of that monster turtle.
Pretty wild stuff.

BB

3 Replies Related Threads

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Slow morning, one solid fish, saw some wild nature 2009/07/11 15:04:33 (permalink)
    I'm turning that turtle in for attempting to take waterfowl out of season.

Nice bass as usual Brian.

I had a slow day on the Mohawk on Thursday. The water levels are back to normal, but the water is still very murky. Wound up with 2 small bronzebacks, 1 small walleye, and a fatty of a 'gill. But it was nice to finally get out. All fish struck the lure just as it hit the water. After that, the lures were probably close to invisible with the murkiness.

I'll be painting my in-laws camp near the Black River for my next few weekends off from work. I launch out of Carthage. Always a nice mix of walleye, smallies, pickerel, and perch.
    post edited by HookLineSinker - 2009/07/11 15:05:02

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Slow morning, one solid fish, saw some wild nature 2009/07/11 15:47:39 (permalink)
    Nice Brian! that's awesome about the turtle. Those that take the time to go look, see what those that don't, never see.

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Slow morning, one solid fish, saw some wild nature 2009/07/11 16:36:14 (permalink)
    i,ve seen that before even was lucky enough to see a pike take a baby goose once, problem was then we knew he was full.

Nice pics as always.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Jump to: