Pymatuning Musky

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/10 09:24:42 (permalink)

Pymatuning Musky

I have a question for you Musky Chasers..
Are there many Musky in Pyma ??
The reason I ask is I've caught Muskies in all the other waters I Walleye fish in on my walleye rigs. Woodcock, Chautauqua, Canadohta. Justus.
Never hooked one in Pymatuning.
Also I don't see any of the Musky guys trolling...
Dead sea?? Or are they all in the North End in the timber ??

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

8 Replies Related Threads

richardw
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/10 10:20:16 (permalink)
    How could you not see any of the musky guys trolling?  I rarely fish that lake anymore because of how many guys are pounding all the hotspots every day.  When you see guys in 6' of water going 5mph you know what they are doing.  It's been a numbers lake for the last 10 years but has been putting out some pretty nice ones for the past 3 years.  I know of a few 50's that have came up for a quick picture in the last couple years.

That's what is strange to me about the walleye population going downhill, historically the great musky lakes have always been great Walleye lakes also, Chautauqua, Rainy Lake, Lake of the Woods, etc.  But with Pymatuning the Muskies have been rebounding but the walleye population is dropping, that's what makes me think something un-natural is going on up there and that maybe the guys claiming the alewives are eating the walleye fry are correct.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/10 12:00:48 (permalink)
    Bings you must be too busy catching fish to see them all drivin by! but they sure do fish it, tournaments like every weekend
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/10 12:26:30 (permalink)
    Wow, wouldn't have thought that...
    Course I don't get around the lake much...
    I try to stick to my little chunk of heaven.
    Thanks guys.

IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/10 13:13:30 (permalink)
    I saw a little while back that The Next Bite show had a complete episode on Pymatuning Muskies.  They did pretty well from what they showed boating more than 5 that day (I believe) with a combination of casting and trolling. 

Peaked my interest to fish it since I've never hit that body of water yet.
    musky punch
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/13 12:01:55 (permalink)
    saw that also, it was nice seeing them get all them fish but they KNOW what there doing.  there's so many factors that they have down to a tee.  I read that they had a tough time at pymy and that there were short windows of opportunity when the fish came.  I sure wish the show was more educational or told their tactics because I would love to know! 
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/14 17:49:03 (permalink)
    I saw the show and enjoyed it. It is possible, that it took more than one day and just didn't let us in on it. lol

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/14 22:07:35 (permalink)
    bings, we get 4 or 5 every spring trolling shallows early season for walleyes.. not big muskies, but you usually know right away its not a walleye, although i did get one around 40 inches about 3 weeks ago on a worm harness, ...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Pymatuning Musky 2009/07/15 07:25:33 (permalink)
    Wonder why they stay mosly shallow.
    I haven't seen any on the electronics or had any hits out in the deeper water.
    They're always a rush when trolling for eyes as they feel like you have hooked the biggest eye in the lake... 

Jump to: