walley

Author
fasterm
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/08 08:06:58 (permalink)

walley

I have a really dumb question and I know most of you will probably be angry that I am asking but I need to. What are you useing that is catching these stupid fish LOL I have been fishing since beginning of last year on some smaller lakes around the area, and can not catch one, no matter what I am using where I am, nothing, can someone give me some advice on some good bait that might accually work
thanks
Emmet

5 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: walley 2009/07/08 08:21:58 (permalink)
    I like 1/4 oz jig heads w/ a mini hooked through the head. Sometimes with a mr.twister body, sometimes not. Color depends on fishs' mood.
    Crawlers work good on a jig head too, but I usually use a stinger hook to cut down on the missed fish. And depending on the depth of the fish, sometimes I'll use a floating jig head w/ a slip sinker instead of a lead head, it keeps your bait up off the bottom a bit.

Depending on the lake, leeches also work good, seems the clearer the water, the better they work. I just fish them on a hook w/ slip sinker though, no jig head.

Some guys have lots of luck trolling crawler harnesses or plugs, but I have no experience with this.

Almost forgot, use thin line. Important. I switched to the 4lb. or 6lb. diameter fireline and my bites & catches definitly increased. Gives a much better feel for the fish. Sometimes the bite's real lite. Get braid though, lite mono won't hold up too well to walleye jaws.

There ya go, that's all I got. I'm by no means a master walleye fishermen like some of these guys, but this is what's worked for me.
    post edited by Pork - 2009/07/08 08:35:43

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: walley 2009/07/08 11:24:59 (permalink)
    so, where have you been trying?  how sure are you that its a good place?  my limited experience with walleye is that as the summer drags on they get picky and choosy about where to hold and aren't everywhere like they are earlier in the year...

keep in mind walleye are a cool water fish and will gravitate towards cooler spots (springs, etc) in the summer. 

toad01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: walley 2009/07/08 21:53:54 (permalink)
    tough finding walleyes this time of year there are there and will bite but there far and few between unless you know the water really well catch most of mine on stick baits this time of year jigs work well in spring [april] drifting minnows work well most of the time early summer crawler on floating jig will pick a few up
    powerun
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: walley 2009/07/09 22:46:38 (permalink)
    leaches !!!!!!!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: walley 2009/07/09 23:06:51 (permalink)
    "leaches !!!!!!!"

They're only asking for a little helpful info. You don't have to call them names. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: