Your thoughts on T-storms ??

Author
bassinbrian
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 902
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/29 18:37:09 (permalink)

Your thoughts on T-storms ??

So i just want to get an idea how everybody feels about thunderstorms when out on a boat fishing ?

The rain does not bother me one bit, but the 1st sound of thunder and i'm out of there like a scared
little girl  !! My one buddy is like "it's just thunder" ... i'm like hell with that , you know what comes with it !!

These past few weeks with rain just about every other day, they have just been popping up at any time.

What are your thoughts ?

BB

7 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Your thoughts on T-storms ?? 2009/06/29 19:01:03 (permalink)
    Just Say No

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Your thoughts on T-storms ?? 2009/06/29 19:05:47 (permalink)
    good thread Brian
    I hate lightning and am an advocate of safety. Lightning scares the bejezzus out of me. With all the camping & fishing I do it is bound to catch you in bad situations. Thunder , Thunder does not scare me but if I or we see lightning it is off the open water. We head to the shore and will continue fishing and keep an eye for the closeness of the strikes. It's a 30 second rule. If lightning strikes and thunder is 30 seconds or less, well head away from the water . Again I have been in situations where there really is nowhere to run, nowhere to hide but avoid near large trees and seek lower ground and ride it out.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Your thoughts on T-storms ?? 2009/06/29 21:03:09 (permalink)
    Last summer me and a buddy were out on Saratoga Lake when we saw storm clouds heading in and heard thunder. We waited to see lightning to head in. Problem was while the lightning was like Tuna said around that 30 count but it moved in fast and caught up to us half way in. Luckily we made it in no problem but it could have been bad. Now we head in when I hear the thunder if I can see it is heading our way, not worth taking the chance, better safe then sorry.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Your thoughts on T-storms ?? 2009/06/29 22:07:38 (permalink)
    http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj200/Jedadiasmith/lightning_2.jpg

Hotter than the surface of the sun several times hotter in fact, can stop the heart, cause severe lifelong effects, instantly melt any metal necklaces bracelets ear rings keys and money in your pockets or hands scorch organs and sear the flesh in a flash cause permanent brain damage, boil blood in the veins and even change a persons personality. Lightning can travel 50 miles out from the side of a thunder storm and strike someone still under blue skies.
     Just a thought, wonder if anyone struck by lightning on the water fishin said after, " I was catchin soooo many fish it was worth gettin hit" just a thought. Be safe and live to fish another day.
    post edited by Mr.Jigs - 2009/06/29 22:13:36

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Your thoughts on T-storms ?? 2009/06/30 05:53:04 (permalink)
    absolutly agree. one time while wading a large river, a storm popped out of nowhere. i had heard some thunder in the distance but seen no lightning. Within minutes it was a downpour and there was a lightning strike on the other side of the river about 50 yards from me. I dropped my rod and layed flat along the river bank. Not a good time.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Your thoughts on T-storms ?? 2009/06/30 08:09:39 (permalink)
    I just read an article about a kid who was struck and killed by lightning on the little league field this spring...it was horrible and very scary to read how far away from the storm you will encounter lightning strikes............i also have a good friend who lost a good friend of his to a lightning strike while golfing in Florida...

Bottom line is your life isn't worth risking for a fish, baseball game etc........i bail at the first sign!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Your thoughts on T-storms ?? 2009/06/30 18:49:31 (permalink)
    skip, i seen that same thing while we were watching a local weather channel cable broadcast up in oneida this early june.. a father and son were fishing in a boat.. both hit by lightening,,the son suffered third degree burns on one side of his face head suppose the body too.. father was luckier both survived to tell about it. The son interviewed in the news, showed the same burnt destruction of what lightening can do to a fishing rod.. i hear thunder ,i'm off or out of any water.
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/06/30 18:52:46

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Jump to: