Life Jacket Required

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/26 21:31:45 (permalink)

Life Jacket Required

while I was in LP I read in the Lake Placid newspaper an un noticed bill will most likely be passed to law. Starting Nov. 1 2009 (if passed) everyone will be required to wear an approved PFD in any watercraft under 21' in length from Nov-1 until May-1 . Don't matter how old or young one is, if it's a canoe, kayak ,raft , float tube or motor boat under 21' you Must WEAR your PFD durring that time period. After May-1 and until Nov -1 you will not be required to wear it but rules as they apply now.

The theroy behind that time period is water temp. and survival rate. In those cold waters you will loose use of your functions much quicker and chance of survival is much lower..

I think it's not a bad idea but why not just make it year round ? Less chance of getting a ticket because you forget the dates.
I will be investing in new inflateable PFD's which will be a pretty big expense but still cheap compared to possibly saving a life.  

Thoughts ?

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

19 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/26 21:54:56 (permalink)
    I could see where wearing a vest in warmer weather could be uncomfortable and even lead to heat stroke on a very hot day.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/26 22:01:48 (permalink)
    I've got an auto-inflatable vest. Very comfortable. But it only counts as a life vest in your boat if you are wearing it. I learned that the semi-hard way. Got a ticket, sent in my guilty plea with a nice note to the judge. It's been 2 months and haven't heard anything.

My thoughts on this is the same as my thoughts on seatbelts. Should be a personal choice for an adult. I thought we lived in a free country.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/26 22:24:20 (permalink)
    Yeah, i recently purchased a stearns comfort series vest for fishing. regardless if such a rule is passed, i will try it out soon..should aid more for back cushion support in my kayak chair.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/27 20:10:13 (permalink)
    Although I think it is wise to wear a life jacket in cold water due to hypothermia, I do dislike there being one MORE regulation set by our government. but cant get to bent as long as I can fish. I have one though a bit uncomefortable I'll have to invest in a vest. any one have a good one with pockets they recomend?

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    EagleCrg
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 160
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/27 21:38:37 (permalink)
    I agree with you, Mr. Jigs.  There's no reason the government has to pass a regulation like that.  If I wish to take a risk, its my risk not theirs.  Its a choice I should be able to make.  I'm sick of the government telling me what is best for me.  If I choose not to wear a life jacket, its my life I jeopardize not anyone elses.  Just like the taxes on cigarettes.  I don't and never have smoked, but I still think it is wrong for the government to tax them excessively simply because they deem them a bad habit and unhealthy.
    post edited by EagleCrg - 2009/06/27 21:40:59
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/27 22:03:03 (permalink)

good comments folks:

I tend to agree with both side... Mind you I have had 4 no-seat belt tickets before I gave in and now always wear it. You know what, for the most part it aint bad. Sure it’s a pain in the but with waders & gear on . I also don't and hate wearing a life jacket in my raft while on those small brook trout ponds. But if it passes I cant take the chance, I may loose my guides license.

The flip side:
    In the past year we have heard of many drowning in the cold weather months. Some were foolish others were caused by outside factors (heavy currents , boat wakes) Would a life jacket saved their life ? I don't know but they surly died without it. 
    Then it becomes others being put at risk during the rescue & finally recovery efforts. Take just a minute and think about that. Others must go into the waters to search & recover now their lives are at risk.

That was pretty heavy stuff I know and I'm with you about more gov't regs.
    Please keep the comments coming and any advice or helpful ways such as equipment or comfortable PFDs to prepare for if this gets passed.

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/27 23:04:59 (permalink)
    the rule does kinda make sense, I think Mass. already has a law just like it...
    would be a little anoying though
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/28 00:22:04 (permalink)
    The biggest advantage to wearing a life jacket in cold water is that it makes it easier for them to find the body
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/28 08:26:57 (permalink)
    Maybe we should all be injected with a GPS device to make it easier to recover our bodies. Or have a do not recover waiver signed, just like a do not resuscitate bracelet. That would keep rescue workers out of harms way, and still preserve one of our few freedooms.

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/28 15:12:57 (permalink)
    Well I hate a growing fed gov and its regulations, although I admit some regs are neededas to say like a kid having to wear a life jacket when the adult is'nt responsible enough to make sure he has it on. And true it can and doe put people (rescuers) in jeapordy trying to save or recover these victoms, it still just rankles an old fart like me who have watched these regs grow over the years and realy jump these last ten yrs. It may not seem like much but to an old dog like me I see the storm clouds on the horizon... sorry I try not to go to far as it gets my dander up.
    So I'll grumble  a bit then make another cast and get back to fishin. lol

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    kjo43
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/29 08:57:12 (permalink)
    I've got an automatic inflatable PFD, this is my second season with it. I ALWAYS wear it while in my 14' row/fishing machine (year round). Mostly because as mentioned above, it doesn't count unless you are wearing it and its out of the way when its on your body. I've kayaked with it on and worn it all day fishing many, many days and its really not hard to get used to at all. 

As for the recommendation, although I've never had mine inflate personally - 2 thumbs up for quality and comfort, and I am not affiliated with the company in any way.  The Jacket I have is the Float Tech, desigined right here in Troy, you can actually go right to the office on river street and purchase direct and they seemed willing to negotiate a bit on price, when buying 4.

here's the website.   http://www.floattech.com/recreational.html

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/29 18:55:36 (permalink)
    KJ:
    is that a self inflate or manual pull tab ?  I fish in some serious weather and in a float tube, or raft you can get things pretty wet. I have heard the self inflates are prone go off if submerged.

Thanks for the input and link... 

Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/29 21:09:48 (permalink)
    That looks like a windbreaker or light jacket I think I could wear that all day no prob. thx for the link kjo

kjo43
    Novice Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/30 08:33:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna
    is that a self inflate or manual pull tab ?  I fish in some serious weather and in a float tube, or raft you can get things pretty wet. I have heard the self inflates are prone go off if submerged.

Can be either.... Came setup as whichever comes first - Meaning when the washer disolves in water, or when you pull the ripcord.  It does have a cap that can make it manual only if I remember correctly.  I've never had a concern in the rain, but I don't raft or float tube and from the video I think submerging would make it pop very quickly. Theres another technology that Mustang has called Hydrostatic, its been explained to me as follows - you can get it as wet as you want but it will not engage until its submerged by X inches underwater.

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/30 15:57:35 (permalink)
    Tuna, to expand on kjo's description, the auto-inflatables will only inflate when it senses a certain amount of pressure. Rain or splashes from waves while rafting won't cause them to inflate. I often wear mine out on the ice when my fat****is on less than 4 inches. I'll bring mine out next time we meet up. 

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/30 16:05:39 (permalink)
    Revenue Enhancement.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/30 19:57:27 (permalink)
    you know any public traded companies selling certified coastguard approved fishing floatation devices?

kjo43
    Novice Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/30 21:36:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: backin79

you know any public traded companies selling certified coastguard approved fishing floatation devices?

Jarden Corporation is your ticket... here are a few of their 'outdoor' brands under the Jarden umbrella...

Coleman
    Stearns
    SOSPenders
    Sylveor
    Hodgman
    it also owns alot fishing brands... Berkley, Shakespere, Pfluger, mitchell and I think Penn & fenwick

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: Life Jacket Required 2009/06/30 22:59:41 (permalink)
    thanks kjo appreciate the reply...i just want to mention the stearns netted vest is actually pretty comfortable and the shoulder netting allows freedom of movement and ample ventalation. i tried it this week and would recommend it for under 40 bucks. as for pockets? i would recommend flinging over a guide vest which i do plan on using to carry my tackle for when i'm in a tight spot in my kayak. I know there are more expensive pocketed vests but i think i like my idea because my pack has a foldout table along with a backpack and numerous compartments.

Jump to: