FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED

Author
ILUVSTEEL
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/07 01:24:25 (permalink)

FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED

I HAVE NEVER FISHED FOR SALMON, BUT I AM AN AVID STEELHEADER, I SPIN AND FLY FISH, I CURRENTLY HAVE A 9FT. LIGHT STCROIX AVID SPIN, A 11 1/2 FT LIGHT STCROIX WILD RIVER SPIN, AND A 10FT 8WGT GANDER MTN. PLATEAU FLY, I TYPICALLY FISH 4&6# LINE, WOULD I BE ABLE TO USE THESE RIGS ON SALMON OR SHOULD I GET HEAVIER ACTION RODS, IF SO COULD YOU RECOMMEND LENGTH, ACTION,WHAT POUND TEST,AND WHAT STYLE FLYS, LURES AND BAITS THAT WORK WELL ON THE RIVER, ALSO IS SALMON FISHING SIMILAR TO STEELHEADIN, ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED 

23 Replies Related Threads

waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 05:37:53 (permalink)
    The 10' #8 fly rod should work great. What is the recommended line written on the spinning rod blanks. You can go as low as 8 lb as tippet on fly rod or line on spinning reels but 10 lb or more is better. 
    venomous grin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 06:06:12 (permalink)
      I made the trip twice, so by no way am I a pro ,all have been learning experiences, make sure you pack your polarized sunglasses, this kinda fishin is 75% sight fishin, I am a spin fisherman so I couldnt even say what fly fishing gear youd need, grab some doans pills, standing in that fast current and fighting to keep your balance is very back straining

I started using 20# braid with a 8 lb fluorocarbon leader last time with good success , buy your splitshots here, lead isnt sold in New York(sorry), I now use a 8'6" medium-heavy rod and a 6000 series reel, and by all means take corkers or felt bottom wading boots, the creeks at Erie are slick but are like sandpaper compared to the Salmon.

I have only fished the waters in Pulaski, so I always stop at Fat Nancy's to get bait.
    Keep in mind these fish are running to spawn , with no intention to feed(some of them) accurate casting is a must to be successful , hope I'm a lil helpful , and please anyone correct me if i'm off base, if you need anymore info you could pm me, your in for a blast, imo best fishing ive ever done.
    post edited by venomous grin - 2007/08/24 05:01:45

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your****tomorrow.
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 08:23:42 (permalink)
    ILUVSTEEL -

You have come to the right place!  There are people on this board (and I will throw in a plug here) on the Salmon Crazy board, that have been fishing the SR (Salmon River) for decades.  They have seen and done it all.  I have been doing the SR for 15 years.

There are 4 main types of fishing on the SR, they are Fly, Spin, Spey and Float Fishing.  For a Fly rod, it is best to have an 8 wt, 9wt or 10wt, somewhere in the length of 9 1/2 feet to 11 feet is really nice.  This will allow for a technique called Dead-Drifting or High Sticking.  Most will load their spool with 30# backing, then either Weight Forward Floating or Running Line (usually at least 8 Wt. line).  From that point you can step down your leader material, some use Amnesia (for a color break) then step to 15# or 12 # to a swivel and then 4 feet (of 12# down to 6# {if you are really up for the challenge}) to the fly.  You are NOT casting - as in the traditional sense - you are fliping a pre-determined amount of line out to a certain spot.  Then you need to take out the slack by keeping your rod tip up.  If you have figured out the correct weight in the flow of water - you should feel - Tick ........ Tick..... Tick.... Tick..... as the weight and fly move downstream.  This is a VERY effective method of fishing for Chinook and Coho.  Many times you will feel - Tick.... tick.... THUMP!  Guess what - that was your hit - were you quick enough to pull the line tight to set the hook.  If so, then you are in for the ride of your life.

You can do the same technique with a spinning rod, but you will actually cast out using the spool and the reel.  Everything else is pretty much the same.

You can use most of your steelhead flies in size 4 through 10 for Salmon.  Salmon are turned on by bright colors.  The previos poster is right - the Salmon are not feeding - BUT please do not mistake that for  - THEY WON'T EAT.  They will!  The Salmon will get ****ed off, as you fly swings by their head and strike it out of agression, moving it with their mouth - they don't have hands :). 

Another bait that is successful is egg sacs- everyone sells them along Route 13, they can be deadly, especially if you are trying to mine your way through Salmon to get to the Browns and Steelies sitting behind the females. 

Corkers or studded boots are really needed.  You will probably take the Virgin Salmon River Bath even with those on.  It is just a very difficult river to move in, especially with a 25# king on the other end of you line. I still have a dent in my shin bone from a fight 3 years ago, but I landed the fish...

Best of luck... Ask questions on this board...there are many people that will help you and you will find more and more people logging on as August begins to end and September begins...

Fish Off...
    MatttyD. 
    justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 11:45:53 (permalink)
    I am heading up this year for the 1st time as well.... I dont have flet bottoms, but i bought small hex head sheet metal srews to go int he bottoms of my waders.. i have heard this will work. Or do i need a new pair.. which i really dont want to do?

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

venomous grin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 16:39:11 (permalink)
    wow MattyD. ,
                       you really summed it up in so few a words, ive always waited till 2nd week of October to make the trip ,would the last couple of september be good weeks to come up?, and do you fish the Salmon only or do you hit the Sandy at all?

Life isn't like a box of chocolates . it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your****tomorrow.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 18:22:11 (permalink)
    Steel:
    first and foremost advice i would suggest:
    Read & know the regulations & rules for the areas
    seems kinda of straight forward but it's so crazy that so many don't bother to look at the information that's handed out free
    regulations are a huge part of the great lakes and very greatly from place to place, so please become familiar.

next:
     the rods you have are perfect for the situation
    all the advice given will help you in your quest for fish
    store it in the memory bank and figure what works best for you

as matty described, fly rods are popular in the shallower runs and rapids(i like to cast & swing my fly however) but to each their own
    folks use fly rods because you should be fishing close and not very deep making it easier than reeling in a spin rod and casting out
    some folks will actually do the windmill (a slang term on the river)
    you can easily employ a traditional fly cast with a weighted fly or small shot and mend to accomplish getting your offering in the salmon's zone
    fish transition holding areas and fairly shallow (5'>8') runs
    you may not catch every fish that comes by but you will know when one strikes
    good luck and keep us posted:
                                                      Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    skifisher
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 19:54:46 (permalink)
    justinl8688,

Read MattyD post as it is (in my opinion)the best way when it is very crowded because of the lack of a large backcast.

If your fishing an uncrowded and or a shallow run Tuna's method is just fine and more traditional. A sink tip would do the trick even though you don't have the feel of the tick, tick........etc.

Regarding the hex heads, thats what I use but get the slotted hex heads in at least a 10. They have a much bigger ridge, they hold better and last much longer than very small ones.  The slot gives it that much more bite. Depending on how much hiking you do make sure you bring extras as when I'm there for more than 3 days I need to replace the ones in the heel and under the balls of my feet. Those studs seem to get the most wear. Lowes has the larger packages for 5-6 bucks.

Skifisher.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/07 20:06:20 (permalink)
    Great stuff guys.
    I use an 8 Wt for Salmon and Steel (most of the time) on the SR.
    I don't use the tactics some others use. I pretty much dead drift or use the wet fly swing. I'm a straight up flyfisher by nature, so I don't mess with it when I get up there.
    WF Floating line, tapered leaders (about 7.5 feet) to about 10 lb and pehaps a shot or two to get the fly down. For Kings I use Comets. They seem to get worked up over them.
    The kind I use can be found at Yankee Fly Shop in Pulaski. They have the materials to tie your own too. They are cool and won't B.S. you about where fish are and all that. Just $upport their business if you intend to ask where the fish are!

Lyrical
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/08 08:23:05 (permalink)
    Venomous Grin -

September can be a VERY HOT or COLD month on the SR.  There is usually a Kayak event on the first weekend of September on the SR, so in order to run the event, they push out 750 CFS of water (1 gate) that will draw in quite a few very fresh Kings and Cohos that are hanging out near the mouth of the SR.  Usually, they come into the DSR, move through town and get to about the paper mill, before the water drops back to 335cfs or even lower (all depends on the water in the reservoir and the weather).  After that the fish scattered, some even turn back around and head out as their bio-clocks tell them it is too early.

By mid to late September a large number of fish will begin to stage at the mouth or even in the estuary, and that is when the waiting game begins.  Some will run, the Bio clock goes off and they move, others hang, flipping and jumping teasing the anglers.  If it rains a decent amount, 1" or more, you need to be at the river the next day or two.  It can be a blood bath.  There are stories and you will here about them, where people would be standing in the DSR, and all of the sudden, there is this rolling water sound that is getting louder.  You look down stream and all you see is fins and white water.  The next thing you know, you fly can't get to the area of water that you are fishing because the kings are so thick you are foul hooking them left and right.  It is supposed to be a sight to see.  I personally have never been there for that.  I have missed it by a day here or a day there.  In fact, last year, I was driving up to CNY from Richmond, VA on the Friday when the river turned black (that is a common term you will hear, because of the fish stacked so much, the sunlight can not get through the water).  I was there the next day in the DSR, and in 3 hours, I worked over 20 fish.

There seems to be a natural run, small but it can be intense during the third week of September.  It is usually a heavy coho and smaller (in numbers not size) king run.  So, if you are thinking about a September trip, you may have luck during that week. 

Again it is weather based on an off for the majority of the month.  As the water cools down, more fish come in.  Rains that bring up the flow will help to bring in more fish.  It is a very good idea that you keep a watchful eye on the water line reports before and during your trip, it can make all of the difference in the world.

***SIDE NOTE - I used to live in Utica, NY for 11 years and I fished the river about 4 times per week from Labor day through Halloween.***

Also, Hot Tuna is correct - The method I described is good for the nice shallow easy runs to fish, and you may work some faster pockets of water.  I primarily did that for about 9 of my 11 years in Utica, then I got into Spey Fishing and swinging bigger flies.  There is no question that the production (amount of hook-ups) is down, but the physical take is jarring and it makes the day more challenging.

Best of luck - if you have more questions - POST THEM!

Fish off...
    MattyD.

maryannsals
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/13 18:36:20 (permalink)
    Hi all-
    My husband and I have been down to the Salmon River a few times but is was never during the right fishing season.  We live in NH and fish for trouts in the local lakes and rivers. I am wondering when would be the best time to come to fish the Salmon RIver for salmon/steelhead. My husband grew up in Washington state and fished for steelhead with his dad for many years. Its been a long time and he is really looking forward to fishing like that again. We would also need to know of a nice campground that would have 2 or 3 way hookups.  Any suggestions or additional advice would be great.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/13 21:37:00 (permalink)

Welcome Mary:
    if your looking to come for Salmon i Personally GAURNTEE the last week in Sept will have a number of fish in the river
    sooner than that there will be fish (maybe lots maybe few) and when the major run(s) happen is anyone’s "guess"
    for steelhead generally mid>late Oct will have a good population of steelies, browns and leftover salmon
    some campgrounds close around mid oct. there are still a few open but the recreational ones close
    i like Selkirk Shores State Park , they have elect. and a holding tank disposal area
    Brennan Beach RV park is a full service campgrounds which is very populated during the summer season but not bad after Labor Day

if you can't find either in a search i'll post a link for you:
    Good Luck & Enjoy

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    straw
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/14 13:05:54 (permalink)

I was up there last year and set my buddy out for a few things. He came back from Fat Nancy's with a ton of stuff we did not need. Because he was a new guy they talked into buying everything but treble hooks. I will never go back there. Please go to a nice small tackle shop where you will get what you .
    Good Luck and dress warm
    Straw

SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/14 16:31:37 (permalink)

Because he was a new guy they talked into buying everything but treble hooks.

Did he get the sponge at least?
    post edited by SPIKER - 2007/08/14 16:33:00
    straw
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/15 06:55:27 (permalink)

Black sponge, but I can't tie a fly with it.

upnorth
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/16 12:15:16 (permalink)
    Justin and any other new anglers to the SR:

The advice here is some of the best you will find anywhere. The only suggestion to add is to buy a wading staff. 17 years later fishing the watershed and I just got one. This is a sure jinx, but I have never gone down and am relatively sure that I now never will. A staff is literally a third leg. Not a year goes by that I am astounded at how few people use staffs on the SR. Many look like they've never waded a creek before, yet alone a large, rocky, fast, deep, slippery river.  Studded boots are a MUST. IMO, FiveTen sticky rubber soles are better than felt. They are just as grippy yet do not track mud or snow and are much easier to hike in.

Be careful...people die each year wading the river. Treat it with respect, be smart and have the time of your life.

Up^
    10pts
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/23 18:13:22 (permalink)
    Matty..  you mentioned size 4-1 0  is size 4 the largest you may use?   ant what is considered a FLY.. I've fished Alaska for Red's  the guide tied a egg snell on a 1/0 octopus hook.. loopped some GLO YARN in the loop and  called it a fly..  he said that's all the require....  and like SR  basicly flip upstream at a  45 degree and let it bounce past you   lift and flip repeat the process until you get that line thump..  at that you jerk...  ok my question is...   is this method legal on the SR ?   I have a earlier post.. I didn;t read down on this one  sorry guys to clog up your posts...  Thanks
    Ditchrat
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/24 06:34:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Great stuff guys.
    I use an 8 Wt for Salmon and Steel (most of the time) on the SR.
    I don't use the tactics some others use. I pretty much dead drift or use the wet fly swing. I'm a straight up flyfisher by nature, so I don't mess with it when I get up there.
    WF Floating line, tapered leaders (about 7.5 feet) to about 10 lb and pehaps a shot or two to get the fly down. For Kings I use Comets. They seem to get worked up over them.
    The kind I use can be found at Yankee Fly Shop in Pulaski. They have the materials to tie your own too. They are cool and won't B.S. you about where fish are and all that. Just $upport their business if you intend to ask where the fish are!

Wheren't you just telling a few of us how you only ever caught 2 salmon?  Your peddling out advice? 7.5 leader?  In the salmon river of a floating line?

Ditch
    Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/24 06:51:14 (permalink)
    The one that popped the arm was a jumping king if memory serves. If the system hooks up only two kings but they are fair hooked jumpers it is how I am fishing from now on.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/24 08:44:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ditchrat

Wheren't you just telling a few of us how you only ever caught 2 salmon?  Your peddling out advice? 7.5 leader?  In the salmon river of a floating line?

Um... No. I caught 2 last year. I took an early trip last year and caught 2 in one day of fishing. I only had one day of Salmon fishing due to a scheduled surgery.
    Whats wrong with that setup? Would you rather I fished a 15 foot leader so you could call me a liner?

Lyrical
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/26 10:57:19 (permalink)
    I agree with everything HT et al have said about the timing, but I was through Redfield two weeks ago, and when we came to the reservoir, my son, who has fished with me out of a canoe out there a few times, asked what we were looking at, as the only thing that had water in it up by County Road 17 was the old river channel.  I've got a brook trout trip planned for up there for 2 weeks from now, and if it doesn't rain pretty heavy between now and then, I'll cancel and go to the Daks for pond fishing, as there is NO WATER up on the hill.  While these drought conditions could make for an unpredictable fall on the SR, if it keeps up, the Genesee could see the best flyfishing conditions in years.  It bottomed out at 325 cfs at Brewer Street last week, 125 at Mt Morris.  You could wade across the river in hip boots in a lot of places.  1/2" of rain in the southern tier has raised it to about 650 the last couple of days, but it will take a pretty good rain to bring it up over the 2000 cfs where the angling gets dicey.  And the thermal inversion out in the Lake midweek had 47° F at shore, and the pier people started showing up at Summerville in pretty good numbers by Saturday.  Deep water surface temp was 43 this AM, and the nearshore is still only 50, so pier casting is a definate possibility now, especailly before dawn into the fiorst hour or so of light.  If it stays cool at night and drops the river temp, we could see some early kings and chrome up at Driving Park, although it is still 73 at Ford Street.

L13
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/27 09:19:07 (permalink)
    Lucky13-
    I've never fished the Gennie. Pretty much an urban setting?
    I have heard about the Russian guys poaching.
    I have also talked to a few men who fish there with sidearm handy.
    Can you shed some light on the fishing there? Like an insider story?
    Would be cool.

Lyrical
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/08/30 20:49:57 (permalink)
    Urban Legends are what they are.  I had a spare tire removed from under my F-150 parked above the Refrigerator, and you never leave your car unlocked around Pulaski if you value spare tackle.  The Russian thing was a few years back, and NYSDEC broke up all of that as far as I've seen.  If I knew how to attach photos, I could show you some scenes that look like Oregon.  The river is much larger than the Salmon, more like the Oswego or the Black in flows and drainage area, and as a result is often unfishable for anyone, much less fur flingers.  The other problem with the Genesee is that the falls that stops the fish  6 miles inland is only a little higher at its base than the Lake, so there is only about 3/4 miles of water that has the river characteristics so appealing to steelheaders, with 5 miles of realtively flat featureless water below.  It's in a gorge, so access is at least a workout.  But the 3/4 mile is as pretty, both for the surroundings and the fish holding water, as anything else in the State.  When the water is low, you can sight fish to large numbers of Salmon and trout, and when it is up, swinging rules.  When the Gennie goes above about 2000, you're short lining to pockets along the bank, and sending a lot of flies downstream with the chrome, but it can still be fun.  However, years like last fall, with 4000+ until the following June with 1 or 2 days of low water in the winter, and the fickle fluctuations of a large watershed and hydrogeneration make it a less than dependable destination.  But if you hit it right.....

And I only live 10 minutes away, so its the cheapest show in town for me, plus I live in the midst of all the urbanity.  If you play it smart and confident, and don't get off the path, you shouldn't have problems.  And a 13 foot spey rod is a formidable weapon!! And I know guys who are always carrying on the SR, where I have also heard Russian and Spanish and Jersey and.......!

L13
    JeffL
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: FIRST TRIP ADVICE NEEDED 2007/09/01 20:42:41 (permalink)
    Its all about the dead drift. Your 10ft 8wt is perfect as everyone suggested. just make sure your bait is in the zone as long as possible. Use just enough weight to get it down. With the water levels as they are-

another option

If fly fishing- I would go straight sink tip with 4 ft leader about 10lb test and swing flies. 
    Jump to: