Noodle Rod Sizes

Author
magot
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/04 18:55:28 (permalink)

Noodle Rod Sizes

I'm trying to find out if there is a rule of thumb as to the length of noodle rod one should use. I have seen them from 10-13'. The 13 foot they said was a float rod but would it be good in the mouth of the tribs in Lake Erie. Does the line weight play a part to the length, ect. 

19 Replies Related Threads

BassBeater87
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/10 20:02:39 (permalink)
    My noodle rod is a 9' and I think it is perfect but I do very little float fishing and fish in small streams like Crooked Creek. As for line weight I would say most guys use 4-8 lb on any rod. I personally use 4. My rod is a Black Diamond picked it up for around 50$ on sale at Elk Creek Sporting Goods. 
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/10 20:24:29 (permalink)
    I used to use a noodle rod but I gave it to a friend..i would suggest a 10 foot ugly stick fly rod..

can't wait til the steelies run again! get to say the best two words put together in fishing "fish on!"
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/10 20:27:44 (permalink)
    The one I own is 10' 6" but has about a 2 foot cork handle. Rule of thumb the longer the rod the lighter the line you can get away with as the rod will take some shock during the fight.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/10 20:54:08 (permalink)
    I have a 2 piece 11 1/2 foot Lamiglas and hate it.
    The rod is too long to fit in the trunk or tool box.
    The extra length seems to get hung up in the trees where I don't have that problem with my 9 or 9 1/2 foot poles.
    I just seem to loose track of where the tip is behind me when casting.

A 9-10 foot rod made for 4-8 or 4-10 pound line is probably what you want.
    Look at the lure weight also.
    A rod made to throw 1/2oz poppers will seem like a telephone pole if used to throw a 1/16oz minifoo.

I have a noodle rod made for 2-6 lb line but have never used it-don't want to play a fish that long and never use 2lb line.

Some of my noodle rods were quite expensive but I actually find the outdoor store brands to be just as good.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/10 21:28:53 (permalink)
    I got a Shakespeare Agility IM-8 9 footer from FishUSA last August, practiced with it on panfish around here, then took it up steelheading and had no problems with it, landing several steelies with it.

Then again, I'm used to fly fishing with 9' rods, so I'm sure that helped. Whatever you decide to get, practice with it BEFORE you use it at the fall run. If you're trying to learn the rod while missing steelhead, it'll probably **** you off. Better to get tangles and other learning-curve difficulties out of the way on some bluegill and crappie.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/10 22:09:13 (permalink)
    Absolutely love this rod in 9'
    http://www.fishusa.com/JBI-Black-Diamond-Noodle-Rod_p.html

Generally use 6# mono, but if conditions are on the low, clear side, I'll switch to 4#

Have fished with 10'6" rods and really prefer the 9'.
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/11 08:03:03 (permalink)
    I have a 10'6 thats my go to rod...its a guide select from gander and I love it....I use 4lb and 2lb fluro with no problem...I have used rods up to 13ft and you really dont gain that much control or that much better of a drift in order to compensate for having to carry/cast around that long of a pole...makes getting into smaller creeks easier. Check out ur local gander I think I picked it up for around 40 bucks...
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/11 09:07:38 (permalink)
    There is no hard, fast rule on what size noodles that people use.  As discussed above the variety of people you see in Erie using different length rods is endless.  Generally speaking, when you are fishing in Pennsylvania you do not need overkill in your noodle length.  If you were to take an average of rod length from different anglers my guestimation would be 9'.  Since the streams that you are fishing are usually not too large, that seems like a fine choice for me, and personally that is what I use as well on the rare occasion I spin for steelhead. 

But, you did mention fishing the creek mouths...and float rods

Float rods are generally tailored for use with a centrepin reel, an excellent tool in the right conditions, but might not be the right choice for a spin reel.  If you plan on fishing the creek mouths, (im assuming with a spoon or flatfish)  then you might want a little longer rod with a more moderate action to compensate for the weight of the lure and the long casts you will be making.  Iv'e seen many a cleo get hurled into the lake making a long, 2 handed cast with a whippy rod. 

Also, consider the style of handle.  A west coast handle has a longer foregrip and a shorter butt, while a traditional handle is just the opposite.  The west coaster is good for doing the drifting type of fishing, where the traditional would be better for casting.

Hope this opened up some options for ya.
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/11 09:51:52 (permalink)
    Or you can do what i do now..if you use a fly rod or spinning rod you can bring your fly reel and spinning reel..i use my fly rod and use electrical tape and wrap it to the rod handle and if I wanna fly fish it easily comes off..thats if you don't wanna spend the money on a fly rod

can't wait til the steelies run again! get to say the best two words put together in fishing "fish on!"
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/11 09:56:29 (permalink)
    Doesnt it fit in the reel seat?
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/12 09:53:07 (permalink)
    I use a 10'6 and will never go shorter or longer. Tried and just didnt work out. Allows me to do many different techniques from spoon tossing to float fishing with flies. And of course jigging. If you like to jig for steelhead and you buy a 9' rod you'll quickly find you'll want a 10'6 or 11' rod. Anything longer starts to be counterproductive.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 276
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/13 00:14:05 (permalink)
    I used a 9.5 ft. ml bass pro float and fly rod this year.  Caught some steel on it worked fine.  I Cooked the shimano reel i had it on a big un' over vets. day.   I replaced it with a penn sargus.  I 've used longer rods for salmon and browns on the niagara ( shimano convergence 12.5 ft. it casts like a wip)
    If u want to cast a spoon to canada or hold 40ft of line of the water to float its great. but its a situational advantage or sometimes disadvantage.  I like to get a happy medium between long and just right and to me thats a 9 to 10 ft stick.

"If, when you pull a fly out you
    dont hear drums and cant smell
    chicken blood in the air, put it back
    in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
    then it can only be conjured with the
    same.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/13 08:30:38 (permalink)
    paco how do you like the penn sargus? was looking at one. like that its a metal reel and made to handle salt. might handle freezing better than other reels. burned through quantums and other good reals seems every 2 seasons in erie. plus i actually like a heavier weighted reel...good counterweight to make jigging easier on the wrists.
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/15 16:14:27 (permalink)
    The reel is a tank, Ilove it! I got the sg3000 Its heavy, in a good way.  I dont like grafite reels especially on hard fighting fish. The frames always started torquing. Not the sargus.  It is all metal,  and i heard of guys using it in salt. The only draw back no spare spool.  Its a good purchase!

same.
    BigE
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/15 17:20:31 (permalink)
    Hey Paco,

Nothin' wrong with living in the hills and you can never have too many guns if that's one of your passions.  In the past 3 months I've sold 21 pistols. Now I'll buy more nice fishing Equipment. I won't sell the one I legally pack.

When I use to bow hunt I always carried my 44 magnum. Every Game Warden wanted to know why I was packin on a bow hunt. I'd always tell him it was for any two or four leggers in an emergency situation. Satisfied him.

I use to enjoy doing competition shooting and running the courses. I got to the point where I could hit an 8" paper plate 4 out of 6 shoots at 100 yards with Iron sights only.  Not bragging, just sharing. Thats when I had good vision and fast reflexes. Couldn"t do it any more.

I dida word search on that reel the other day and couldn't find it...  Big E
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/15 18:13:08 (permalink)
    ive got a 11 6" rod and a 10 ft i find my self useing the 11 more but ill also trool the rivers and use it as a out rigger rod and 8lb fireline dia is around 2 lb heavy and the steel head are not spooked by it
    PACOFRANSICO
    Expert Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/19 20:05:55 (permalink)
    The reel is a penn sargus sg3000. Google that....

same.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/22 15:07:38 (permalink)
    I got a 10' cortland from poor richards last year...Love it....Has a lifetime warranty to...Doesn't matter if you break it fighting a fish or you run it over with you truck...They will replace it free of cost...I also use 4lb Pline on mine...I have always had better luck with the bigger leary steelies running thinner line...I know some people that even run 2lb on noodles...My freind also has a fish eagle II rod that I use...Nice, but overpriced in my opinion....
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Noodle Rod Sizes 2009/06/22 15:38:58 (permalink)
    Pretty much the same as everyone else has already said,  somewhere between 9 and 11' is all you really need. At different times throughout the season I fish rods from 8' up to 13' 6", usually depends on water conditions and how I plan on fishing.  If I could only have one it would probably be a 10' or 10'6" rod.

The biggest issue I've seen with poeple who are new to fishing long rods is the length of the fighting butt handle. Many longer rods have long fighting butts and it can take a while to get used to keeping it off to the side of your body.  There are rods with shorter handles out there, the one I can think of now off the top of my head is the JBI Sapphire series 10 footer.  It's not the greatest rod, but it's excellent for the price and a comfortable rod for most to fish.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2009/06/22 15:40:04
    Jump to: