Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging

Author
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/26 22:37:57 (permalink)

Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging

I'm preparing for a saltwater fishing trip to the Tampa Bay/Bradenton area in a few days. We're going out with Captain Matt charters at least two days. We are mainly targeting tarpon and snook. I'm sure we will have a chance with a few other species such as redfish, trout, sharks and others.

The other days we're fishing on our own so I'm taking some equipment. I'm putting Power Pro 50lb test (12# diameter) on a new Quantum Cabo PTs 60 spinning reel.

My question is: what is the best knot used to tie to the reel? or......Should I use a small amout of monofilament line as backing so the braid doesn't harm the reel?
Any help appreciated! Thanks.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg

10 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/05/26 23:18:40 (permalink)
    Powerpro is slippery and might spin on the real and it takes a lot to fill a reel
    Look on the box of powerpro or go to their website for splicing knots
    http://powerpro.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/powerpro/company/using_powerpro/knots.html
    post edited by pghmarty - 2009/05/29 01:17:47
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/05/28 18:52:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the link, Marty!

The Beerman ~ Greg
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/05/28 20:58:55 (permalink)
    Greg,

First off, I haven't forgot about the question you asked me earlier. I'm going to call some budds down there this week and get the skinny on whats up with the poons.

To answer your question, yes use backing. Unless you want to spend about 250 bucks to fill that spool!
    Use a regular knot to connect the mono onto the spoon, and a uni to uni to connect the braid to mono.

I have the exact reel for sale if you know anyone who wants one! And I also have a 7.6 extra heavy St.Croix for sale.
    It's a perfect rod for tarpon!

-Mike
    post edited by mikeg - 2009/06/01 09:22:53

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/05/28 23:51:00 (permalink)
    Mike, is the rod a three piece? If so, what are you asking?

The Beerman ~ Greg
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/06/01 09:22:12 (permalink)
    No, it's a 1 piece. You can have it for $120 and I'll include a hard, locking travel tube that fits about 10 rods. THe rod has never been bent and is prefect. I have 3 of them, but don't fish tarpon more than once a year or so, so I don't need it anymore!

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/06/02 08:36:23 (permalink)
    Good luck in FLA, Greg.  Post photos.

We are heading to Islamorada on 6-20.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/06/02 09:43:43 (permalink)
    duncsdad,

Thanks for the encouragement! I will miss going to the Keys this year.
    I can't pass up a free place to stay in Bradenton though. I will post
    a few photos. Good luck to you also! (bow to the silver king)
    post edited by beerman - 2009/06/03 08:32:25

The Beerman ~ Greg
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/06/04 08:30:16 (permalink)
    Greg,

Its probably a long drive from Bradenton, but one of the best steaks I have ever had in FLA came from the Kissimmee Steak Company.  If you feel like heading inland for about a 100 miles or so, stop there, you will not be disappointed.  I am sure you can find it on the web.  I have actually driven there from the Clermont area (bass fishing over Christmas) because the steaks are that good.  And this comes from a guy that has a commercial grill at home and typically won't eat steaks out because they don't compare to what I can make.

Too bad about the Keys for you this year.  Since we go at the same time, I was going to try to meet you for dinner, probably at Caroline's.  But free lodging is free lodging.  Maybe next year.

I am ready for the Silver King.  I have been job hunting on the computer for 6 -8 hours a day for the last month and Duncsmom says that I am driving myself nuts (if you ask those that I fish with they will say I have been there for quite a while) and need to relax a little. 

I can think of no better way to relax than scanning a flat for cruisers and plopping a fly in their face in hopes of the explosion of a 150 pounds of silver.  Then some ice cold Key West Sunset Ale while lying about it all back at the resort.

Watching the wing nuts in KW on the back end of the trip isn't bad either.

I'll post photos when I get back.
    post edited by duncsdad - 2009/06/04 13:17:31

Duncsdad

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/06/04 17:01:49 (permalink)
    Duncsdad,

Kind of off topic, and I would have PMed this to you, but I want others to know about job hunting online.
    This is one area I know a lot about. 99% of the jobs you are applying for are either already filled (internally and posted for legality reasons), or from temps and recruiting agencies.

A survey was taken in 2007 from people using job searching sites. 2 percent of the job seekers found work online.
    Just something for you to know!

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    RE: Quantum Cabo PTs 60 ~ spin reel rigging 2009/06/05 08:11:56 (permalink)
    Mike,

Thank you for posting that.

Yeah, I kind of know that, but it kills the time while networking. 

In addition it gives a good read on job descriptions.  Writing cover letters, etc. is good practice for selling one's self that will come in handy when the interviews start.  It is sort of a written dress rehearsal, if you will.  The dogs are tired of me mock interviewing with them.

I am accustomed to three or four meetings per day; giving at least 2 presentations per week; managing a workforce of 250+; developing and rolling out strategies; etc.; so I kind of need to keep busy (can only mow the grass so many times and I have been fishing more in the month I have been off that I typically do in a year).

I have been trying to use TAA funding (my job was eliminated due to moving product lines out of the US) to further my education, but that hasn't been going too well.  It seems that if the program you want to take does not fall into some checkoff box that is already established (I am looking at a doctoral program), no one wants to help out.  I guess the tax dollars I paid in for 25 years to support programs like this aren't supposed to come back to me.

The folks at CareerLink were stunned when I showed them my job search sheet.  The comment was "You did more searches in 30 days than most people do in the 59 weeks of UC ( 26+33 extension).  You have until next June to find something, what's the hurry?"

I told them that I wanted to "utilize" the system, not "use" the system and you would have thought that I was speaking Yiddish.

Sorry for the rant.

I really need to hook a Tarpon. T minus 14 days and counting.

Duncsdad

Jump to: