where is the best place in the erie area for channel cats?

Author
kastmasterpro
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 272
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/19 22:22:25 (permalink)

where is the best place in the erie area for channel cats?

hey im new for it but does anyone know what month in the summer is the best for catfishing? and do they feed during the day too? and where is the best place to catch bigger cats ( walnut south pier)?

2 Replies Related Threads

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: where is the best place in the erie area for channel cats? 2009/05/19 22:49:39 (permalink)
    I read a magazine article about channels in erie.  It was only as specific as an article could be though.  Fish the verticle structure around the bay, channels, dock areas and stone wave breakers.  The water is warm enough for channels to be hitting already, if not at their peak, which should be in summer.   I am not too familiar with the popular baits up there, but I have heard from more than one charter captain that they caught 20+ pound channels while trolling lures deep for steelies or lake trout. 

I would assume that the standard array of baits would work.  I have always had the most luck with fresh chicken livers.  I have never gotten a single  bite on the 3 types of dough baits that I have bought....that stuff is worthless.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: where is the best place in the erie area for channel cats? 2009/05/21 09:30:29 (permalink)
    All I know is that last August, I went to fish the edward John for perch... I got in some construction and literally missed the boat.  just by a few minutes I saw it leave.  rather disgusted I decided to stick around scope out the south pier.  I ambled over to the south pier and saw some of the finest catfishing I ever have in PA.  I had my perch rod, so my tackle and presentation was simply ineffective...

but If you'd seen it, I'm sure you wouldn't say, "where is the best place in the Erie area" you'd only ask " are they hitting at the south pier"  the quantity and quality were awesome.

If I was smarter; I'd say that you need to soak dough bait in middle of crooked creek, so they'd be one LESS guy interested in sharing the fishery at the south pier.

Jump to: