Mojo?

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/14 12:30:08 (permalink)

Mojo?

Have any of you tried the new St. Croix Mojo bass rods? I was thinking about picking one up and wanted to see what you had to say about them.

8 Replies Related Threads

Angler3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Mojo? 2009/05/26 23:45:15 (permalink)
    Love mine!!! i ended up getting a 7' medium heavy casting mojo just last month. i put a pflueger element reel on with stren sonic braid 20lb, and it is such a nice set up. the reel seat is solid and the guides on it allow me to cast a WAYS out! i say you get one of these man! i've never had any problems with my triumph spin cast, avid fly rod, or my casting mojo! just love em. in my opinion st. croix is under rated.
    Angler3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Mojo? 2009/06/20 01:20:02 (permalink)
    ever end up gettin one COLD??
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Mojo? 2009/06/20 15:55:25 (permalink)
    Yes, a few weeks back I picked up the Drop Shot Mojo (ML, XF, 6'-9").

So far, I like it. Light in the hand, casts accurately and smoothly (and far!), and it's well built, with smooth even wraps, quality components, and professional looking finish.

My only gripe is that the balance is less than perfect. It's quite tip-heavy and the balance point is well forward of my grip. Perhaps I will add a bit of weight to the rear of the grip at some point.

I've got it paired up with one of the new Shimano Sahara reels spooled up with 10 or 12# PowerPro with a 4-8' Seaguar Fluoro leader. I've landed several bass ranging from 12-19" with it and also accidentally got a very angry ~16" dia. snapping turtle. So far it's handled everything I've thrown at it admirably well.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Mojo? 2009/06/21 00:21:52 (permalink)
    You should match up a rod to a reel or a reel to a rod. Not decide on a specific rod with the reel you already have. Unless you take that reel with you to the store when you buy the rod and find the balance point.

Now I know this sounds dumb to some more experienced fishermen but some folks reading this who are newbies may find this as good info.

Spinning reels- balance point is 3-4" in front of the shaft of the reel or "T" that connects the rod to the reel. This was (generally) years ago where the pointer finger of your hand sat in front the cork. A good rule of thumb is to take the reel you are going to put on the rod is that you can stick one finger out and balance the rig just in front of the cork(3-4" in front of the T). The newer rod and handle designs make this a little more difficult but if you follow the 3-4" rule, you will be OK.

Baitcasters I would assume are the same except when you balance them, they hang upside-down.

Overall if out of balance, you will lose fish, your arms wrists or forearms will get tired over a 10 hour day. Not to mention that it is mentally a distraction and an excuse as to why fish are lost. You don't have to have expensive gear to follow these guidelines and they will make your fishing days more enjoyable.

Anyone who wants to PM me with any questions about it, I will answer them in a few days.

Cold, you should have taken the reel with you to match up with that rod series you wanted. The addition of weights is a band-aid you are going to use but will in the end fatigue you.

plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Mojo? 2009/06/21 01:22:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gobyking

You should match up a rod to a reel or a reel to a rod. Not decide on a specific rod with the reel you already have. Unless you take that reel with you to the store when you buy the rod and find the balance point.

Now I know this sounds dumb to some more experienced fishermen but some folks reading this who are newbies may find this as good info.

Spinning reels- balance point is 3-4" in front of the shaft of the reel or "T" that connects the rod to the reel. This was (generally) years ago where the pointer finger of your hand sat in front the cork. A good rule of thumb is to take the reel you are going to put on the rod is that you can stick one finger out and balance the rig just in front of the cork(3-4" in front of the T). The newer rod and handle designs make this a little more difficult but if you follow the 3-4" rule, you will be OK.

Baitcasters I would assume are the same except when you balance them, they hang upside-down.

Overall if out of balance, you will lose fish, your arms wrists or forearms will get tired over a 10 hour day. Not to mention that it is mentally a distraction and an excuse as to why fish are lost. You don't have to have expensive gear to follow these guidelines and they will make your fishing days more enjoyable.

Anyone who wants to PM me with any questions about it, I will answer them in a few days.

Cold, you should have taken the reel with you to match up with that rod series you wanted. The addition of weights is a band-aid you are going to use but will in the end fatigue you.

good luck finding a reel to balance out a mojo unless you want to put a steez or an Mg series shimano on a 90$ rod! the butt length and reel seat placement just screw the rods. they are nice rods at a **** good price but being impossible to balance them out just does them in. trust me, everyone ive talked to or seen has complained about it.sucks because im a st croix fan and i really would have liked to get one for spinnerbaits and one for slop frog fishin.
    post edited by plnoldrick - 2009/06/21 01:24:32
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Mojo? 2009/06/21 10:47:05 (permalink)
    IMO, people put too much emphasis in the rod balance. You can balance it in the store all you want, but put it on the water for a real test. tie on a 1/4oz weight, a 1/2 oz piece of plastic and add in a 15mph wind and current.......where's your balance now??
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Mojo? 2009/06/21 13:22:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Trout About

IMO, people put too much emphasis in the rod balance. You can balance it in the store all you want, but put it on the water for a real test. tie on a 1/4oz weight, a 1/2 oz piece of plastic and add in a 15mph wind and current.......where's your balance now??

i agree but these things are really really tip heavy. way worse than powells
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Mojo? 2009/06/21 13:38:58 (permalink)
    I looked at a couple Mojos in the store a while back. I agree they are tip heavy. More so than the Triumphs and Premiers that are built on the same blank. That is a function of the split grip having less cork.
    Jump to: