DOWNRIGGING FOR SALMON IN LATE AUGUST

Author
Steely Hunter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/28 19:03:40 (permalink)

DOWNRIGGING FOR SALMON IN LATE AUGUST

HEY, I have a boat and am entering the loc tournament on Ontario for the second time. I was wondering in the fall derby (Late august) where the king salmon are as far as depth goes? I know it varies but I was wondering wether to run downriggers or planer boards??? I am planning on Running my Downriggers at about 25 feet, Is this out of their depth??? are they deeper or all over at that time?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know i have caught kings off the pier in 15 feet of water in early september. But i am new to down riggin and boat fishin for salmon.
THANK YOU
RICk

2 Replies Related Threads

creel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: DOWNRIGGING FOR SALMON IN LATE AUGUST 2007/07/28 21:13:14 (permalink)
    Hunter go to a site called www.attheoak.com, great site, they give fishing reports from Oak Orchard.  The Captains give you on the information you are looking for.  Good Luck, John

thats a good fish, they are all good, some are gooder than others
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: DOWNRIGGING FOR SALMON IN LATE AUGUST 2007/07/29 17:33:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Steely Hunter

HEY, I have a boat and am entering the loc tournament on Ontario for the second time. I was wondering in the fall derby (Late august) where the king salmon are as far as depth goes? I know it varies but I was wondering wether to run downriggers or planer boards??? I am planning on Running my Downriggers at about 25 feet, Is this out of their depth??? are they deeper or all over at that time?? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I know i have caught kings off the pier in 15 feet of water in early september. But i am new to down riggin and boat fishin for salmon.
    THANK YOU
    RICk

Forget the planer boards for fall fish, as far as the ball depth, trust your electronics, But i doubt you will get many fish that shallow, unless your in very shallow water,Its not uncommon  to get fish as deep as 100 down and sometimes more, it all depends on what you see on your screen, you will find fish from the pierheads out, When Im in the search mode I usually pull spoons until I find active fish, then switch to a dodger/fly combo. or dodger with a cut bait rig. When searching with spoons Ill run 2.5 to 2.8, after switching from spoons Ill run 2.1 to 2.4 at the ball, nothing is set in stone, so try anything you can until you find a program that works for you, also fall kings can be out of preferred temp for no particular reason, look at the bright side, you now have another reason to spend a bunch more money on tackle
    Jump to: