Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic?

Author
Ship of Fools
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 250
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/27 13:03:12 (permalink)

Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic?

I was expecting to see a pic by the time i got home.......

HE GOT ONE!!!................nice fat female on a chunk early this morning....handled it like a pro!

17 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 13:04:21 (permalink)
    Awesome news !!!

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 14:02:28 (permalink)
    "I get by with a little help from my friends"  -J. Lennon

What a weekend...  I feel like two seperate 'curses' have finally been broken...

First Tuna puts me on some Steelhead over the weekend, and then this morning I got out with S.O.F. for a few early morning hours before work.  Yeah- that 4:45am alarm came early this morning...

I can sleep in July when the fishing slows down, I guess.  I am so happy I finally got out on the river with SOF, we tried last season but rain kept us away.  Hopefully we can squeeze in a few more early outings over the next few weeks.  My weekends are pretty much booked solid after getting out with many of you guys this coming weekend. 

Great morning and a HUGE relief to finally get that 'monkey off my back'.  THANK YOU, Ship!

The photo will remain unposted because it is tiny (from a cell phone with small sizing) and because it looks like every other Stiper you guys have seen so far.  But I am thrilled to say the least.  What a whirlwind of Upstate NY trophies!

Rest assured, that photo has made the rounds among friends cost-to-coast via text messaging... 

Apparently my lack of Striper success is as well known nationwide as my lack of Stripper success...

I am still smiling about the events of the past 72 hours. 

Thanks again Ship...  Great times on the Mighty Hudson!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 14:36:10 (permalink)
    Did she fight ya good ? Stay down and give some good head shakes ?

Nicccccccee ! WTG on the banner weeken.
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 14:49:35 (permalink)
    Yeah....i'd hate to see the identifying features in the pic anyway...........went to my honey hole........give it up you die!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 15:18:15 (permalink)
    Oh c'mon...  Everyone knows about the hot action under the Tappan Zee...

That is no secret! 

Fish fought hard enough to make it a lot of fun, no doubt.  A far cry from the Steelhead less than half it's weight, but a brawl nonetheless!  We need to teach those cows to jump!  This one ran two or three times with some real moxie...  Then hunkered down and sulked a bit until it finally came up boatside.  Halfway through it I started to shake a little bit at the realization that I was, in fact, hooked into a Striper on the Hudson.

Will wonders never cease? 

I was one season away from abandoning the Hudson all together.  But SOF pulled me back from the brink of quitting.  Thanks again buddy.  Very much appreciated...  I can't wait to get done with work to go home and go to bed.  I am up for that early morning routine anytime you are!  Gas and boat can be my treat next time if you wish.  I was amazed I made it to the office ten minutes EARLY today!  What a way to start the workweek!

I am already hoping to find another this season- and get a bigass photo of it to post on a billboard on I-787. 

I love the idea of being a "Midweek Warrior" out there, and then leaving the weekends to the masses.  But next weekend is an exception, since I hardly ever get to drink beer and fish in boats that have beds and kitchens.

Should be a treat.

Thanks for helping me out Ship and Brian.  I guess I don't have too much to complain about anymore fish-wise.

But I am sure I can think of something.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 15:50:41 (permalink)
    here's an action shot.................

and he told me to go ahead and reel in the first one.........no way......virgins get first shot at the fish............

but............from now on it is my usual rule......first herring first striper

and Jimmy.............i landed one more and had another i fought for a while till the leader **** the bed.....drifting sure is tough on the line.....also had another 3 or 4 hit and spits

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 16:09:28 (permalink)
    I am glad I tossed out that monster chew in my lip before getting photographed for the 'money shot'.

I think this should become a daily ritual, Ship... 

Funny how it took nearly a YEAR from the first plan until the first time we finally got out there. 

I wouldn't mind being out there right now! 

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 16:32:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy
    I think this should become a daily ritual, Ship... 

It has been every May for about 10 years now......i started my own business in April 2001.......and that May i spent more time on the River than ever!

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 16:54:50 (permalink)
    congrats man,

but gotta ask was that really your first steelie in the other post?

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 18:12:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jkbugger

congrats man,

but gotta ask was that really your first steelie in the other post?

From what I heard , first landed... Again not a Chromer but we will get that done in the fall.

Striper!!!!  WTFG!!!!  did not think you would get up at that hr. but when big fish are involved who would not...
    Seewt looking pic, think of that steelhead with no lower jaw, sorry look who's talkin..
    Keep it up folks and knock the **** out of them linesiders..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/27 20:42:21 (permalink)
    i guess he's lived a pretty deprived life until now. 

i've done pretty well up there the last few years ditching the eggs and throwing egg sucking leeches, nothing like getting those fish on the swing.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/28 09:29:57 (permalink)
    WAY TO GO JIMMY!  Glad to see you got hooked up with a striper man, what a great week eh? Doesn't get any better than April/May around here.  That is awesome ... tell me you ate that striper though. They taste real good.
    No stripers yet for me.  I have only caught 1 herring from shore....incredible. I can't even get dead ones to chunk. Sucks.

At least theres other options...have you been hitting the shad run yet?  The bite has been on big time- at lowtide is best.  I know a decent spot not as crowded as the dam. Be glad to let you in on it.  I saw a guy with a fly rod having a blast with them.... I think he had a 3/16 oz dart on it.   Greens, chartreuse, red/white all good.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/28 10:21:46 (permalink)
    Thanks Yank...  In truth, I really can't take any credit for any of these fish this week...

Just a case of hanging out with the right people at the right time (when I was a kid it was always the opposite).  I have only been back in New York State for three years and I have spent most of my time fishing alone.  Tougher on the stream of course to land a Chromer with out a "Professional Net Man" to lend a hand (ever see those hilarious commercials with the "Net Men"?).

As for Stripers- it was very humbling the last two seasons.  I fished the Rondout Landing a ton two years ago when I lived in Sullivan/Ulster County (right on the line- literally- next to Slide Mountain) and spent about four-six days a week out there last Spring in Albany/Troy after making the move up here. 

Nothing different in the approach, just the good karma that comes with having a fishing buddy.  I think Tuna and Ship were both smiling as much as I was this weekend- as Tom Petty once said "Even The Losers Get Lucky Some Times".

Now (thanks to one raging party) I seem to have a whole bevvie of cool fishing buddies, and the 'body count' on the Salmon River and the Hudson has improved considerably.  Yank- hopefully we can get out there one of these days soon.  Good luck un the Catskills- if you get a hankerin' for some ADK trout in the next month get in touch. 

I'l be out there messin' with the shad too soon enough if you want to hang out!  We got several yesterday while jigging.  Last season I wailed on them on the Rensselaer "Wall" with a shad dart and my 3wt.  They are tough little snots when you hook 'em on a tiny rod like that.  Some of them were real bulldogs!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/28 10:49:50 (permalink)
    Congrats Jimmy. WTG!

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/28 11:10:47 (permalink)
    Oh yeah Yank...  THe cow went back in the river...  Didn't bring her home...

You know I don't eat a whole lot of fish anyway, and that big momma surely deserved to go back in and lay those eggs that made her so fat.  I estimate the fish at a solid 35", but maybe even more.  20lbs probably?

I would like to take a 25" male home to the house to try it out.  But the professional Ecologist inside of me made the release decision on Monday a no-brainer.  Just wish my camera wasn't screwed up so we could have gotten a better photo.  Camera phones are sweet and all- but only if you like pictures the size of a postage stamp!  Ha!

It still beats the hell out of the crayon drawings that I sometimes try to pass off as proof of the giant fish that I have caught back in my National Park Service days in Alaska, California, Florida, Virginia and Colorado...

For example- check out this badass Arctic Grayling caught in Savage Creek in Denali National Park in 2004:

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/28 16:47:14 (permalink)
    sweet grayling pic, I always thought their dorsals were a little bit nicer, but I've never seen one in person so I guess I have to go by the drawing and believe they look like an F'ed up ****.

Pictures are nice but without them the fish can only get bigger in memory.

Charles Haas
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Well....Jimmy popped his cherry...where's the pic? 2009/04/30 00:38:01 (permalink)
    WTG!!!!!!!! Jimmy !!!!!!!! How you need to shot for that 30+lber!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: