This weekend

Author
jkbugger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/14 17:26:21 (permalink)

This weekend

Man, I am having some issues on what to do, the bugs are hatching in the catskills and have someone who wants to go there, could go smallie fishing up here or some brookie fishing, or will the stripers be in? Why does everything get good at the same time?
Do you think the stripers will actually be in by the weekend? or does it take a little while after the herring are in.

17 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/14 18:26:23 (permalink)
    Man, if I was into stripers I'm not sure what I'd be doing either! All I know is that i'm into the catskills and will likely be using my 3wt 4 wt on the EB .. BK some other  headwaters along the delaware basin. I have one more day of work and I'm going to enjoy fishing

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/14 18:30:14 (permalink)
    the bugs are starting on the big rivers though, tribs are nice but there are more bigguns in the big rivers, if you go down during the week give a report please.
    Especially if the BK is stocked, once they stock that I head to the other rivers.
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/14 18:33:26 (permalink)
    Yeah same here , i am ready for Stripers and things are just starting but i don't think it will be great this weekend. Plus the local Trout streams are looking good. I am thinking about pounding some Ashokan Smallies !! I have not open water fished yet this year

So i think some crazy Smallies will make my weekend.
    post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/04/14 18:34:25
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/14 18:37:36 (permalink)
    How about throwing steelhead in the mix ?   I know I will be heading to the great lake tomorrow night and fishing for steel on thurs, fri & possibly sat.  This week is an easy choice. Next week when the ponds open up will be the hard choice, but then I think I'll be ready to fish for some little guys.. 

Stripers ? well maybe the smaller school fish might be up now but If I were targeting the big boys & gals give it another 2 weeks.
    Should I make a prediction ?
    April-30th the brutes will be around from catskill north.

And so starts May, never enough time in May... Stripers for me take the back seat, you guy's have at'em

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/14 18:50:24 (permalink)
    i'll be up on the nevi resi thursday before sunrise , i'll spoon or troll my cove and  if all goes well, i'm staying for the day. If however the am gets iffy or i get itchin to try some flywater, i'll be hitting the headwaters until i get to the bigger water later in the day for usually the best bug hatches.I will likely rough it all around until i have my fill. I  gots to swing my stoneflies quill gordons, hendricksons ,olives caddis and assorted catskill wets dries nymphs.

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/14 19:30:28 (permalink)
    ihear that just tied some more hendricksons and quills. steelies huh, would love to but don't think i will. anybody been up to champlain or the bouquet?
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/14 20:04:34 (permalink)
     It is true everything opens/comes to life at once.. i know when i'm in the stream, i wonder how the lake might be doing and when trolling in the lake i wonder how the stream is doing! This is another reason why I like going it solo. It sure is looking good from thurs on!  tuna i wish i could wing it for the sr but i'm in my prime down here rolling around nev pepac and all my traditional spots. Hoping to fill the camera with trophies maybe LLS or BT or a fat culvert hugging brook!
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/04/14 20:12:02

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/15 07:11:35 (permalink)
    Don't bother striper fishing yet unless you're headed south.....as anxious as everyone is i have NEVER, EVER seen it hot enought to really make it worth fishing this early in the season.......it's always late april or early may before they stack in well enough to really make it worth chasin em ..

having said that i have seen an occasional year where there are decent numbers early...and my biggest fish ever was on 4/21 a few years ago but it's a fish here and a fish there and never an all out hot bite. 
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/15 11:51:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

How about throwing steelhead in the mix ?   I know I will be heading to the great lake tomorrow night and fishing for steel on thurs, fri & possibly sat.  This week is an easy choice. Next week when the ponds open up will be the hard choice, but then I think I'll be ready to fish for some little guys.. 

Stripers ? well maybe the smaller school fish might be up now but If I were targeting the big boys & gals give it another 2 weeks.
    Should I make a prediction ?
    April-30th the brutes will be around from catskill north.

And so starts May, never enough time in May... Stripers for me take the back seat, you guy's have at'em

Man, I would love to hit the SR for steelies. I hear the main river bite is real good and the Sandy's as well as Trout & Orwell brooks all have good numbers of fish in them too. I have plenty of time but I just don't have the scratch for a 2 or 3 day outing. Good Luck Tuna and be careful out there. Seeing varying report of SR running 1800 to 2100 cfs. Not unfishable but up some.
                         Tight Lines....Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/15 18:38:08 (permalink)
    I showed you pic's of what 1,800 looks like and brings. Nice thing is it scares some folks off. 2,000+ is just 2 much for me but 1,800 works.
    I was heading up tonight but forgot some items and forced to come home so it will be a 2am run.
    I will be there until friday night staying @ foxhollow lodge. it's $40. per night and if you could swing that + your travel I can put you on fish and maybe it may calm your storm towards guides. (please just busting stones on that last part) I'll be fishing thurs & fri. if anyone wants to hit the river give my cell a call.

Peace & Tuna

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/15 21:09:41 (permalink)
    oh well can't get it to load ... my uncl took a nice fat 17" brown from a local stream tonight , streams are in good shape

post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/04/15 21:14:09
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/15 21:24:48 (permalink)
    Brian, I got home late from work, finished a renovation bathroom and doors and packed my truck with ten rods for everything till sunday.  RJ, wish I could be everywhere but, you will see some pics when I get back

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/15 22:31:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

I will be there until friday night staying @ foxhollow lodge. it's $40. per night and if you could swing that + your travel I can put you on fish and maybe it may calm your storm towards guides. (please just busting stones on that last part)
    Travel is the main issue with me, no car for long distance, why I stay local most the time. As for busting stones; I think we both know by now that differing opinions are differing opinions and there is nothing personal about it.
        Tight Lines, Cheers

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/16 09:06:17 (permalink)
    Headed to Saratoga for some CRAPPIES!!!!!!!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/17 06:19:49 (permalink)
    This weekend ain't looking good...  son has a lacrosse game saturday, my daughters birthday party is on sunday, and monday we're off to Yankee Stadium.  Tuesday anyone?  I can get out for a while.. crappies, trout, whatever.   I'd love to go up to SR... My bud from work has a free place for a week and told me to come up... but **** i just can't swing it now.    Knock em dead RJ.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/17 09:12:36 (permalink)

last night I decided I had enough. Made the drive back barely able to lift my right arm (man am I out of shape). The steelhead were so thick it looked like salmon season. it's been many years since I have seen them this thick, the 1 limit law has proven to be a very successful one. On the down side however they seem to run all at or below average size meaning those 12 > 15 pounders are few and far between. The area I fished it's almost impossible to land them in 1,800 without a second hand to use a net. Well I did not have one so with well into double digit fish on, I landed a big fat ZERO....
    You can see fish actively digging and spawning (should have taken pictures) so just swing a streamer through there and hold on.
    I know I always seem to be a little negative but I kind of think I'm more a realist. Some things just I look at and say "is this for real ?"
    The fishery as a whole.. It is just way to popular and it shows the ugly side of what some call "fishing". The best areas are ALWAYS staked out and their ground is held. People know day in and day out where the fish are and stake out them well before daylight and in some places even if it is clearly posted No Trespassing After Dark. People are unwilling to rotate and let others have a chance at catching fish but are more concerned at seeing how many they can catch. I watch it all the time. Personally I am always willing and encourage to rotate, it makes a more pleasant day with good company.
    Next on my list is fishing ditch water.. With the high water those tiny diversions are packed , I mean you could walk across the fish in there. Sadly most of these fish will not make it back out to the main river and will be stranded to their death. Is it really sporting to fish this type of water ? I don't feel it is, **** you don’t need a rod at all , just reach down and grab a hand full. Better yet why not volunteer to help returning them to the river where they may fight for another day.
    Finally, in my twisted look at things, how much water can you cover in a swing ? What’s next , 20' rods and laying out 100 yards of line ? Man, come on fish a lake or pond if you want to cover that much area at one time.
    All this is just an observation of what the fishery has become. For me it may be over for another year and I'm really looking forward to the solitude of the Adirondacks.
    So in store this weekend, cleaning out my garage and taking some time out on the trails with my atv..

Next stop Brook trout PONDS

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: This weekend 2009/04/17 09:43:27 (permalink)
    Sounds like some good fishing plans for the crew...

I am sort of skipping the weekend angling this week in preparation for the all out EXTRAVAGANZA of the next four or five weekends.  Stripers are arriving this week, ice is letting go on some of the higher Hamilton/Warren County trout ponds, and the stocking trucks have made their rounds in the Capital Region.

Apparently they stopped at Perchie's house more than a few times

But this weekend is music-based.  Time to strap on the beer-drinkin' boots and go see The Dead for a few days.  The Boys roll into Albany tonight, and then a two-night stand out in Worcester, MA at the old Centrum.

Big fun.  And lots of old friends.  But I am hoping some of you guys might want to meet up to chase Stripers some midweek evening or something!!!  And weekend trout trips up north if you're interested!

'Tis the season!  If the thunder don't getcha' then the lightening will!!!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Jump to: