Steering Wheel Problems

Author
Hunter25
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/14 10:12:41 (permalink)

Steering Wheel Problems

I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem but.... I have been getting my boat ready for stripers and noticed that my steering wheel was incredibly difficult to turn left and right. Has anyone had replace the cable and if so how difficult is it? Does anyone have any tips? I'm not sure I want o take it to the shop so they can charge me $600 for a $50 part. It is for a 16 1/2' mirrorcraft with a johnson 28hp. Ayn thoughts?????

3 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Steering Wheel Problems 2009/04/14 10:31:07 (permalink)
    It happens a lot when the boat sits...

It is the "tilt tube" in which the sliding steering piston slides through the motor mounting area.

You might even need to hammer on the end of the steering rod as someone turns the wheel and hope that frees it up enough to grease the fittings and tube.  Then once it is free'd up you are good to go.  Apparently the cause is due to two different types of metal fusing or something in the tube.

I know a stainless teel steering rod solves the issue- but I have always been too cheap to buy anything but the usual steel one.  Which seizes up every few winters like yours.  Try tapping the rod and seeing if that frees it up.  Otherwise someone's going to have to pull it out and replace it.

Odd are, the steering cable is fine...  Most likely the shaft inside the tilt tube.

Hope that helps.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Steering Wheel Problems 2009/04/14 10:46:17 (permalink)
    I was hoping that you would see my post. I should have PM you over on shanty. My set up is a lot like yours. I greased the crap out of it, and it does turn. It is just tougher than heck. I'll try that and let you know.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Steering Wheel Problems 2009/04/14 11:09:55 (permalink)
    It's funny man- this spring is one of the first that *I* don't have steering problems like yours.

But typically, if I could free up the seized steering piston enough to move it left and right, constant "back and forth" with the steering wheel would eentually get the resistance back top a managable level.  It might take a few minutes, but I bet yours will loosen up.

Lithium grease helped with mine- but I assume any good grease would do!   Good luck!
    Jump to: